book recommendations about emotional eating

Options
Ticklemynose
Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
Anyone read Josie Spinardi's book "How To Have Your Cake & Skinny Jeans too"? She talks about how restrictive and popular diets actually cause yo yo weight loss and gain. These diets destroy our body's natural hunger pangs and appetite, throwing it into chaos so we are no longer able to tune in, leading to emotional eating and binge eating. As well as all the associated issues. She advocates mindful eating with no extreme deprivation but knowing when to stop, regroup and restart. She cites the example of naturally thin friends who eat whatever they want. She had Youtube videos up about it but it is inactive now. There was a chapter about recognising real hunger pangs and emotional fake pangs. I really recommend this book, it really help me look at my emotional eating and understand it in a whole new light.

Anyone else have other great books to recommend?

Replies

• lizzieollie502
    lizzieollie502 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have not read any books but thanks for the tip. I will check out that book.
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have not read any books but thanks for the tip. I will check out that book.

Welcome, it's a really good book that made me look at emotional eating in a whole new light.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite topics right now!

Geneen Greer, especially, "When you eat at the refrigerator, pull up a chair."
    Charles Eisenstein, Yoga of Eating (not exactly on the topic, but so much about self-compassion and listening to your body)
    Currently I am reading "Mindful Eating" by Jan Chozen Bays. It is the best book I have found to teach you how to eat mindfully, identify and respond to the many reasons we want to eat. I'm even taking an on-line course from her that starts in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to it. It's through Shambala, http://www.shambhala.com/authors/a-f/jan-chozen-bays/mindfuleatingcourseceu.html