funky aftertaste to coconut oil?

Options
boohooboo
boohooboo Posts: 51 Member
n00b here again.

so yesterday, i learned a little about fat bombs, something i never heard about reading atkins. :-) i just tried to make my first one: 3 tbspn coconut oil, 1 tbspn peanut butter, 1 or so tbspn cocoa powder (it flew over the side of my bowl as i mixed it ;-), and a little stevia. i'm sitting here trying to eat this, but one problem: i'm getting a really weird aftertaste from the coconut oil. i haven't really been eating much coconut oil to date (i've been LC for 4 weeks), and blech.

am i doing something wrong? my coconut oil was recently bought, and i usually like coconut. is this typical and i just need to get used to it, or is this a bozo nono?

Replies

• nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    From my experience, sometimes it's the brand of coconut oil. I really like the stuff from Trader Joe's & there is another brand from Woodman's that was good too, but I recently bought a large container from Sam's Club and that one seems to have a funky aftertaste...almost smokey or plasticy? My brother in law has the same kind and his is kinda funky too. I'm going to just make my way through it and go back to the Trader Joe's brand...unless anyone has other brands that they stand by and are willing to share.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My coconut oil I get from Publix is yummy!

I use it in all kinds of things!

It is good on your skin too
  • boohooboo
    Options
    maybe i will use the remainder of this on my skin then and try the TJ brand (no publix up here, sadly.)
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have had a few brands of coconut oil and haven't found a weird aftertaste... it has a coconut flavor and will leave an oily texture depending on how much and with what... STEVIA on the otherhand (as well as some other AS) leaves an awful taste in my mouth and has ruined many of my fat bomb attempts.

If you are unfamiliar with stevia, you may want to experiment with it and the coconut oil separately to double check.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For coconut oil I have used Carrington Farms, another one in a black container (?) that had no coconut flavor at all, and am currently using Nutiva...
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've used Nutiva, some kind of organic stuff from cost less, various ones from walmart. Never had a problem with odd taste, but I really like the nutiva, though will probably switch to whatever costco carries once this is gone.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Every coconut oil I have ever bought tastes like rubber tire to me. Lol.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The one I have seems to have no taste at all. But I agree with what @kimberwolf71 said about stevia. It has definitely ruined some things I've used it in before. It's very tricky for me to get the right amount of sweetness without getting the weird taste it can have. I recently found one that is stevia and erythritol blend that is Kroger brand that I like better.
    Also, I wonder if you find it was the coconut oil, if you used some cream cheese instead of the whole amount of CO. Can't remember if you do dairy at all...
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Wait...you don't usually use coconut oil and you started with 3 tbsp? Rule with coconut oil is to start slow because otherwise you generally end up nauseated with the runs.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I've used Nutiva, some kind of organic stuff from cost less, various ones from walmart. Never had a problem with odd taste, but I really like the nutiva, though will probably switch to whatever costco carries once this is gone.

Nutiva is at Publix

I get the Whole Foods brand too

I use just enough, not lots

It does awesome frying scallops., the slightly sweet taste blends perfectly when searing
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I like the pressed coconut oil. The ones that are chemically processed leave a bad taste to me.

Tropical Traditions has a "gold label" oil that tastes odd. I enjoy their regular green-label oil, though, and if you catch it on sale with free shipping the 1- and 5-gallon pails can be a good bargain. I also use the Costco brand.
  • boohooboo
    Options
    since i didn't finish the blechy fat bomb i made yesterday (like two nibbles and then out into the trash), i think i will look for ones that are based with cream cheese. if anyone out there has tried and true yummyish ones, let me know. (extra happy if they contain cocoa, lol. i am forever a chocolate addict, no matter what.)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    boohooboo wrote: »
    i'm getting a really weird aftertaste from the coconut oil. i haven't really been eating much coconut oil to date (i've been LC for 4 weeks), and blech.

am i doing something wrong? my coconut oil was recently bought, and i usually like coconut. is this typical and i just need to get used to it, or is this a bozo nono?

cold pressed coconut oil should taste like coconut....

not all coconut oils are created equal: look for cold pressed "extra-virgin" coconut oil.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @boohoo boo have a look on pinterest for fat bombs or ketodietblog or ibreatheimhungry. All great sites for them and other recipes. I reckon it's the stevia too.....hate the stuff! Erythritol has no nasty aftertaste but does need a small addition of another sweetner as it's only 70% as sweet as sugar. Brilliant stuff though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    since i didn't finish the blechy fat bomb i made yesterday (like two nibbles and then out into the trash), i think i will look for ones that are based with cream cheese. if anyone out there has tried and true yummyish ones, let me know. (extra happy if they contain cocoa, lol. i am forever a chocolate addict, no matter what.)

My favorite base is 2:1:1 cream cheese:coconut oil:butter. So if you use 8 oz of cream cheese, you would use 4 oz of coconut oil and 4 oz of butter. Melt the butter and coconut oil together and let the cream cheese come to room temp. As soon as the coconut oil and butter are melted, stir/blend in the cream cheese. It won't become completely smooth until you add in your flavorings. for this amount with the 8 oz of cream cheese, you use 2 TBSP total flavoring. You could use 1 TBSP of dark cocoa powder and 1 TBSP of PB2 or PB itself. My favorite was cocoa powder and cinnamon. Sweeten to taste. Generally, I'd start with two packets of stevia, blend, put a dab on my finger, taste, then sweeten another packet or two if needed. Generally in this recipe, 4 was my max of sweetener. And that was when I made it with lemon juice.

I don't make fat bombs individually, as it is a pain for all the blending, but if that's something you don't mind, you could do 1 TBSP cream cheese with 1/2 TBSP CO and 1/2 TBSP butter for the same effect, I'd think... I don't know how you would figure out the flavoring buts though, as it would be like 1/8-1/4 TBSP? So less than a tsp each...

But usually the TBSP of concentrated flavorings works to that blend...add more or less to taste. With the lemon ones, I think I used 3-4 TBSP of lemon juice, fresh... It's all about any flavor combos you want to try.... With the amount of sugar-free extracts you can find online, you could do caramel banana, or coffee chocolate, or maple cinnamon, the possibilities are endless!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    i'm getting a really weird aftertaste from the coconut oil. i haven't really been eating much coconut oil to date (i've been LC for 4 weeks), and blech.

cold pressed coconut oil should taste like coconut....

not all coconut oils are created equal: look for cold pressed "extra-virgin" coconut oil.

I just got this type since I ran out of what I had. I really prefer the slight coconut flavor to it. Though I don't taste it in coffee or foods. I did try a bit by itself and actually thought it tasted quite good.