Leg day soreness & weight training schedule

Options
FatStephanie15
FatStephanie15 Posts: 54 Member
Leg day is the ONLY day that I have intense muscle pain afterwards. Enough pain that I walk a little bow legged and it hurts to sit on the potty. :o Anyone have suggestions to combat this? I've only been lifting about 3 weeks now.

Also, how often a week do you/should you work each body group? What does your lifting schedule look like? I am lifting + cardio right now. I have roughly 85lbs left to loose and I'm trying to A. not be flabby thin, B. not loose any muscle mass, C. gain strength.

I'm new to lifting
but I already love it so, so much. Nothing makes me feel better or more confident and capable. It is becoming the best part of my days. Thank you in advance for the help!

Replies

• FatStephanie15
    FatStephanie15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another question, for those lifting while remaining at a deficit. What does your daily intake look like. I am maintaining my deficit, but TBH most of what I eat is crap ATM.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Im sorry I can't answer your question becase leg soreness is a big issue for me too. I don't know what to do becase today is supposed to be leg day (my favorite!!) but mine are so sore from squats/deadlifts Wednesday and my cardio yeaterday involved a lot of walking squats/lunges. idk if I should let them repair or just do leg day anyway. sorry I'm not helpful, I'm very new at this too, I just wanted to say I LOVE Weight lifting too! I'm addicted to it now :-)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Only on rare occasions have my legs bothered me though the last time they did ache for around 5 days. I don't have a leg day though as right now I'm still following full body routines but aside from lifting I do jogging (started with couch to 5k and now working up to a 10k). I lift 3 days a week and jog 3 days, one day involves both so I end up with 2 days that don't have jogging or lifting. I also work on my feet 5-6 days a week. When they ached for the long time, I found with a decent warm up and just using them still, I could do my workouts without any problems even if they had been aching that day.

I believe if doing a split you're supposed to give over 24 hours rest, or it might even be around 48 hours. I haven't done too much research since I plan to follow the beginner programs for a while still.

As for deficit, I have mine set at a pace to lose 1 lb per week. I had it at 1.5 for a while but then it wanted to drop down to 1200 calories after I'd lost a certain amount and I don't wanna do that even though I'm short. So, I changed it and can have over 1400 before exercise instead. My daily intakes varies. I have no typical menu but try to make sure I get at least .8-1 gram per lean mass in protein, which works out to over 80 grams for me if using the minimum range. On occasion I can get up to 100 grams. I also eat candy on a regular basis, just make sure I'm aware of the serving size and fit it into my calories. Though I should try and buy/cook more veggies for the health benefits, but overall, I make what I like work and keep the protein at a good range. Have lost about 60 lbs so far.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, as your body adjusts to the new strain you are putting on it, the less sore you will be.

In the meantime, make sure you are warmed up before starting your workout
    Drink lots of water
    Stretch at the end of your workout- I found a good 5+ minutes of stretching really eased some of my soreness
    I got a 5$ small foam roller at Five Below and use it on my thighs- like rolling them out after an intense workout (there are some good demonstrations of this if you look it up online)

And when it's really bad? Rest and some ibprofen to reduce pain/swelling.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Girl, I feel you. The toilet struggle is real.

I used to feel like I was incapacitated for like 4 days after a hard leg day. Even stretching all the time, massaging, nothing was helping all that much. It took some trial and error, but yoga has worked wonders for my recovery time!

I get on Youtube and do a variation of "Yoga for Weight Loss", some kind of yoga that gets your heart pumping. (Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown is on Youtube. ;) )

After a 25 minute yoga session, I feel SO much better. I've also gone to a zumba class after leg day before and felt relief the next day too, I'm telling you, something to do with cardio helps alleviate the soreness. :)
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    +1 for yoga! I do two loops of a pretty standard Sun Salutation, but I add in Pigeon and Camel pose for hip/quad flexibility. I also stay in downward dog for several minutes to help my calves and hammies. And I do whichever pose this is.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video recommendation Yoga for Weight loss. I found the 40 minutes with Adriene and really liked it. She kinda lost me at 20 minutes, I ended up doing some of the planks on my knees, but I thought it was still really great. It looks a lot different when you are 5'2" and still 60lbs overweight. - This gives me something to aspire to.
  • kkorzeniowska
    kkorzeniowska Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Girls girls, when I started lifting my legs were sore too! Your muscles are building up, once they will get stringer the pain will be smaller and smaller and u will need to use more and more kilograms to feel anything on the next day.
    Be patient and with the time u will see the difference. Even thought u are sore try to do at least couple of squats etc whatever your training plan for the day is.
    A stopped being sore after 3 months and now I really have to push myslef hard with loads of kilograms on to walk funny. My legs are tired,yes but it's nothing like in the first couple of months. Good luck girls. Just stay strong.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    im always sore! lol. i try to do my best during my work outs so I'd be sore several days after.

I train 3-4 days a week, on my days off, so no set days planned. I do an hour of weights followed by an hour of cardio (usually Zumba/Pilates/Dance Fitness). I find that my cardio classes loosen my muscles just so they dont ache so much afterwards. Did Zumba yesterday, 2 days after a heavy leg session. Was limping going into the class, walking normally (albeit slowly) afterwards. Yasss!

Got a lot to lose and been lifting weights for only about 2wks continuously now. I love it!! Been doing 40kg squats and bench pressing 14-16kg. I love feeling so strong! (Even though my bf laughs coz he benchpresses 270kg. Hahaha!)

Just do a lot of stretches before, during and after your workouts. Even on your rest days, stretch. Need to loosen up the muscles so it doesn't hurt so much.
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're stretching. Foam rollers are a necessary evil.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Great info!! I've only been lifting for about 2 months & I feel like my legs, and booty are always sore. Yes! Foam rollers are wonderful....not fun, but very effective.

ETA: I can't even imagine how I must look, rolling around on the floor getting into all of those awkward positions to get the sweet (owie) spot.
  • charitys_aloette
    Options
    I hear you on the foam rollers. Lol. Also, hot baths with 1 cup Epsom Salts and 1 cup baking soda helps...
  • bellis107
    bellis107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also make sure your post workout nutrition is in check. Consuming a little bit of simple carbs immediately after a hard workout helps to prevent the build up of lactic acid in your muscles. A cup of chocolate milk does the trick for me. This is the only time simple sugars are really good for you. I can tell a huge difference the morning after if I forget to do this. The glycogen also helps drive protein (post workout meal w/in an hour or so) deep into the muscle tissue to aid in repairing them.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week, cycle 2/3 times a week and practice taekwondo, which involves a ton of kicking. To minimise leg soreness I stretch for about 10 minutes before and after every workout. Protein after a workout help although I think a bit of soreness is good. It is a sign that you are on the right track because it is your muscle tearing as you lift. It then repairs and develops. I lift with a day in between because you need that break. I agree with others who have said that foam rollers are a necessary evil.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    +2 for stretching and foam rolling afterwards. I don't think too much stretching before has helped me, except for squats. I've recently gone to a split so I am doing 2 leg days a week...and they do hurt, but it's s good sore. More shaky right afterwards and sore 1-2 days later...I keep stretching those days and it helps a lot.

And I agree, lifting does get addictive! But finally a good addiction!!

• charitys_aloette
    Options
    Make sure you're doing an active warmup (ie. Squats, rowing, lunges, pullups, pushups, etc.). Stretching and foam rolling are great for after. :)
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I dislike yoga but have noticed doing it at least 15 minutes 3 times a week really helps and feels great.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bellis107 wrote: »
    Also make sure your post workout nutrition is in check. Consuming a little bit of simple carbs immediately after a hard workout helps to prevent the build up of lactic acid in your muscles. A cup of chocolate milk does the trick for me. This is the only time simple sugars are really good for you. I can tell a huge difference the morning after if I forget to do this. The glycogen also helps drive protein (post workout meal w/in an hour or so) deep into the muscle tissue to aid in repairing them.

Truth!

• slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Soreness is totally normal unless it's a "bad pain". It gets easier over time but it's a fact of life if you chose to exercise.

Food, stretching, rest & gentle movement are the cure.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I took an ice bath Saturday for the first time (after crossfit) , and it was a good anesthetic (I can't use ibuprofen, etc.). I know it is controversial, but if its good for the US women's soccer it team, it is good enough for me. Also I find hilly bicycling/or light flat bicycling (depending) really helpful for working out my leg/glute soreness.