Just diagnosed

Options
cloudy68
cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
I was just diagnosed two weeks ago and won't be attending an educational class for another two weeks. I am really try to watch my carb intake but I always seem to have a high reading in the morning no matter what my meal was the night before. Is this normal?

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor but have heard that it can happen to some people. This is called the Dawn Phenomenon and happens when your sleeping body suddenly dumps reserved glucose into your blood in order to keep your heart, etcetera working. Again, I'm no expert, so somebody correct me or add anything I'm missing as needed.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As @zcb94 says it's not unusual but there are some strategies to help control.

A site I found with a lot of useful information when I was in your place last year is http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

There are other support groups I've found useful if you wish.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The morning, fasting number is usually the last one to normalize. Are you testing after meals? I've been T2 for 15+ years. 3 years ago I started working with an endocrinologist and diabetes educator/registered dietitian to get tight control and lose a bunch of weight. I've learned a lot on my journey.

My husband was diagnosed in March 2015 with an 8.3 a1c. He takes a low dose of extended release metformin and started eating to his meter. White processed carbs are a big problem as are bread, flour tortillas, and rice of any kind. He has no problem with potatoes in all of their forms :smile: and there are other vegetable carbs he can eat in limited quantities. After 3 months he's already down to 5.8 a1c. It looks like it can be done but you really have to be motivated.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    Try googling "dawn phenomenon diabetes".
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Many people have a hormone dump around 3-4 am

It contributes to the morning number

I took a bedtime half metformin. My dr said not to worry so much about occasional rises as consistently exercising to burn off my blood glucose

He had me on a 2 year plan to reverse my newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes

It has worked so far

5.4 A1C now

Another blood test in 3 months
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It can take several weeks to start to see lower fasting numbers. I tend to get a nice liver dump and end up somewhere in the range of 110 in the morning hours. I'm currently experimenting with my evening snack (protein and no carbs...carbs with some fat...lots of options). The last two nights I had something with a few carbs and some fat before bed and I pulled a 104 and then a 94 this morning.

Good luck with your classes!
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It can take several weeks to start to see lower fasting numbers. I tend to get a nice liver dump and end up somewhere in the range of 110 in the morning hours. I'm currently experimenting with my evening snack (protein and no carbs...carbs with some fat...lots of options). The last two nights I had something with a few carbs and some fat before bed and I pulled a 104 and then a 94 this morning.

Good luck with your classes!

I have always had high FBS and its discouraging to spend the day trying to get them down. I have tried car/proten snacks but they don't help much! I have heard that exercise before bed may help.

• cloudy68
    Options
    I attended my first class last night; it was interesting but as many of you said, the instructor still talked about higher totals for allowable daily carb allowance than most of you recommend. I guess it is something I will need to "experiment" for myself to see what particular carbs cause problems for me.
    My blood sugar this morning was 125 which I think is high but on the guide she gave us (80-130) it was within the normal range. I didn't eat my dinner until after the class which was 9:00 p.m. so don't know how that affected the reading. Will see what my numbers are later in the day.

I tried warming my hand this morning and massaging my finger and was able to get an adequate blood sample with my first "prick" this morning which was good.

Hope I have good numbers after dinner!!!!
  • cloudy68
    Options
    Pleased with my afternoon #s -- before dinner -- 95; 2 hours after -- 96; but this morning, fasting is still 120!!!
    Can't seem to drop those numbers -- probably not eating enough protein (or any) for my bedtime snack.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ugh, the fasting is the hardest for me too. It's so hard to nail down exactly what you need to do and takes so much tweaking. This morning I think mine was 111 and I really really really want to be between 90-100.

Your numbers are really coming along!

Diabetes is all about experimenting with what works for your body. For example, I ate 40 g of carbohydrates (brown rice) with dinner and after two hours I was at 103. But if I did that at breakfast I would probably be WAY too high.

Out of curiosity...what did they say your number should be under 2 hours after a meal? When my husband took the classes they said you should be under 140, but my classes when I had Gestational Diabetes said to be under 120, so I always adhere to the "less than 120" rule.
  • cloudy68
    Options
    They said the numbers should be under 160 --- so many different answers; no wonder it is so confusing to those newly diagnosed. My numbers after dinner have been good so far --- it those fasting numbers that don't want to come down.
  • cloudy68
    Options
    Galiecstorm - I tried accepting your "friend request" but somehow deleted it by mistake and don't know how to resubmit!!!