a1c not dropping

Options
2»

Replies

• 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    200 a day, wow!! I have really been restricting my carbs this week but not to keto range. Do you think restricting carbs but not being keto still helps enough? I feel weird loading up on hamburgers with cheese not knowing if I am burning it or not. I did lose another lbs this week though
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    20 a day is pretty low. What do you eat> I am at about 50-60 per day. Not making much difference yet
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    Yes, I meant 20 also, just reread my post.
  • pennell12
    Options
    Do you know what the "keto range" is?
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Keto range is generally considered 50 grams of carbs per day or less. Some are quite strict (like our friend Radiii) and keep to 15-30 grams. But 100 grams/day is also considered low carb. I've been eating ~100grams/day for a few month and getting decent results (blood glucose never exceeding 140 mg/dl, and losing 4-5 lbs/month). I get the sense the everyone is different and reacts differently to carbohydrate, so some self experimenting is necessary. I feel like lowering ones carb level further & further is like a gas pedal we all have to help us get both our insulin levels & weight lower.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I eat between 75-100 g of carbohydrates daily and am able to be around 120-130 two hours post meal. I have to eat less carbs early in the day. I also find that I need a little bit of carbs before bed or else I get a huge liver dump in the early morning hours and end up with fasting numbers in the 120s. Last night I ate 8 raw cherries right before bed and my fasting number was 106. For some reason, I seem to need a bit to process overnight to avoid the pre-dawn dump.
  • pennell12
    Options
    I am on Week #2 of low carb. Numbers are slowly lowering. I think that the bedtime snack does help. I am also taking one Metformin right before bed. I have always have high fasting numbers, even with Levemir.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The other thing I've noticed is that all carbs are not equal. And they act differently depending on what they are eaten with. I've been T2 for at least 15 years. My husband was diagnosed in April with an 8.3 A1C. He started a low dose of metformin and monitored BG. He has found certain times of day are better for carbs than other. Also, pinto beans, baked potatoes, super grainy bread, and corn tortillas don't spike him. But he no longer eats flour tortillas, rice of any kind, hamburger buns, and pasta. His follow up A1C was 5.8!

I've also found that I really have to be careful with serving size - measure and weigh. If I eat a carb, I include fat and protein, and maybe a raw veggie. Seems to keep me from spiking.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    Had a good week with very low carbs. Last night and today will be rough, my son is getting married in an hour
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »
    Had a good week with very low carbs. Last night and today will be rough, my son is getting married in an hour

I just saw this now. Congratulations. I hope all went well. Celebrations can be tough. Luckily for me my family is pretty accepting of how I eat & I don't get pressured to try this or that. If I take one bite of birthday cake and avoid the frosting I feel I've done my part. Also I've found that it only takes a small amount of alcohol to knock me on my rear. However, yesterday is past. If I fell down, my only choice is to get up and soldier on.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    20 a day, wow!! I have really been restricting my carbs this week but not to keto range. Do you think restricting carbs but not being keto still helps enough? I feel weird loading up on hamburgers with cheese not knowing if I am burning it or not. I did lose another lbs this week though

Restricting carbs but not being keto absolutely helps most people. Keto started for me for psychological reasons. Moderation wasn't working. If I limit my carb intake, I am simply not hungry the vast majority of the time, I have no/very low cravings for food in general, I can go as long as I want without eating without it causing a problem. If I start adding in more carbs and get up to 50-100, I find cravings for sugar start coming back, and I just don't resist those cravings very well. So this seems to be what works for me. Others definitely talk about 75g carbs a day being perfect for them.

pennell12 wrote: »
    20 a day is pretty low. What do you eat> I am at about 50-60 per day. Not making much difference yet

I never log my food anymore, or I'd share the diary. Bacon and Eggs cooked in coconut oil for breakfast almost every morning, maybe some cheese or heavy cream in the eggs. Sometimes I do Intermittent fasting and only eat twice a day, sometimes I eat more than that. Almonds or deli meat/cheese for snacks, some kind of meat for dinner, with a preference for fattier meats over the lean ones (chicken thigh > breast, 80/20 beef instead of the super lean, etc). Green veggies whenever I want them. But no bread, no pasta, nothing fried in flour, no sweets (there are some low carb options for some of these things but I tend to shy away from "low carb replacements" for most of these things).

An average day might be something like 5 eggs/4 strips of bacon for breakfast, with some cheddar in the eggs. A handful of almonds if I want a snack. A couple slices of deli roast beef and swiss cheese an hour or so before I go to the gym, and a "taco salad" like creation for dinner, just without the taco shell, ground beef, cheese, salsa, and sour cream over a bunch of lettuce. I'm aiming for around 2000 calories a day (I'm 6'4" and still a bit away from the goal weight).

Congrats on the good week and I hope the wedding was awesome :)
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not going to lie, I had 2 pieces of cake. Man was it good. Had 2 beers too. Now I kicked it back in gear. Salmon and cauliflower steaks last nights and going to try spaghetti squash (in place of pasta) for the first time tonight.
  • pennell12
    Options
    Blood Sugars erratic and mainly still over 200. Week #3 on Low carb. Not loosing weight either. Frustrated.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a solid 60 minutes of cardio to burn off your glycogen?

Burning it out of your system works.

If you eat sugar, burn it off
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I usually get 30-40 min of cardio then 15-30 min of core , body weight and dumbells. I get up at 0445 every morning and get home about 5:15 so if I dont work out right away, I'm not going to. Although it would probably be better to work out after dinner to burn off the glucose. I tell myself occasionally I am going to go for 60 minutes, even if its walking, but I cant ever make myself go that long. Short on time, energy and patience :)