Gamer Snacking Habits

Options
starrista
starrista Posts: 4 Member
Hello there!

So I'm certainly not going blame my exorbitant weight gain on Azeroth itself, but the years I dedicated to bettering toons and pvp rating could've been better spent.

My husband and I both need to lose weight and are stopping our atrocious eating habits that would accompany our nightly gaming!

No more soda and chips and pizza.., anyone found any healthy alternatives?!

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    That was a major part for me gaining so much weight in the past. Hours and hours of game play, sitting on my fat butt, with nothing but fast food and soda pop along with eating chips, snacks, and other unmentionables. Now I don't game as much as I used to but I found veggies helped. You can get full fast with them. I do like dipping them in certain stuff like ranch and hummus. That can add up in calories fast so I usually get the single serving ones to limit myself.

I also mostly drink water. I can drink it plain or with some lemon wedges but when I started I used to use the flavor enhancers, like Mio. Over time though I just weaned myself off. I eventually got sick of the artificial sugary chemical taste. I
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    That has been a downfall of mine as well. I say we blame Azeroth! Just kidding. I try to find things that will fit into my calories for the day. I also found that if I try and stay busy with dungeons and raids, I don' thave as much time to eat because my fingers are busy on the keyboard and mouse.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think the whole idea of snacking doesn't make sense. IMO, it's best to eat your meals when it's time to eat them, and then stop eating.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Lightly salted (or unsalted) popcorn has become my goto on days when I haven't done much and don't have spare calories for snacks. I can sit in front of the PC, and if I get hungry, snack on some popcorn.
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we can blame Azeroth. I don't care how many loading screens Blizz puts up encouraging us to get out more. They know we're hooked!! :) Yeah, I had to break myself of the habit of shoving something in my face when I'm sat in front of the computer - and not just for gaming, at work too. I find that eating regularly (i.e. every 2-3 hours) really helps me not to think about food or feel hungry. Drinking a lot of water helps too (not only in feeling satisfied but it makes me get up to pee a lot with is a good break from sitting too long). Having only healthy snacks around in single servings is also good. Nuts, dried fruit, veggies, undressed popcorn etc. That way if you get the munchies, you can just grab a snack bag and know you're not going crazy with calories.
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what's been said above, but it's all good info. Eat smaller meals spaced out 2-3 hours apart. That's a great way to get what you need to keep you from being hungry but also light and often enough to get your metabolism going. And drink plenty of water! Most people mistake dehydration for hunger and end up eating when they just need water. One thing to try is that if you feel hungry, go drink some water, wait a bit, and then see if you're still hungry.

If you still want to snack while playing, let's choose those healthier options. Veggies like carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli are great! Vegetables are good for you, low in calories, and help you feel fuller. Add some hummus in for a little extra flavor. Also, one of my favorite snacks is almonds, or you could do cashews. But just snack on too many of these - they are pretty high in fat and calories, but still a healthier alternative to pizza and soda!