Low calorie drinks

Options
cthacker38
cthacker38 Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I am doing good with the food. But I am seriously struggling with what to drink. I'm not a water fan and can not tolerate aritfical sweeteners! Help if you have any ideas! Thanks

Replies

• slavikpv
    slavikpv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's based on water. But You may try to fill a glass with water, add a teaspoon of honey (best natural of course) and squeeze some lemon. Figure out the proportions Yourself :) It's very good to jump start Your organism in the morning with some carbs, potassium and vit C.
  • tracig86
    tracig86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love water but I also love flavor. I cut up strawberries, lemons and other fruits put them in a jug of water or pitcher let it sit over night and it tastes great ☺️
  • KwajalineClark
    KwajalineClark Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for low-caloric mixed drinks?
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Iced Tea. I put a little sweet n low in mine, but if that's not your thing, then you can omit.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water and frozen fruit. If you don't like the fruit idea they have naturally flavored seltzer water with no artificial sugars. I always keep a case in my house and drink that instead of tap water.
  • sheafferlynn
    sheafferlynn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can sweeten any drink with liquid stevia which is all natural and you can find it at the health food store. The one I use is vanilla flavored and I get it from the health food store on West Genesee Street in Fairmount. It only takes a couple of drops so a bottle last you at least a year...
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I freeze fruit and add it to my water or green tea Sometimes I do veggies like cucumbers and also will add a little mint. I didn't used to be a water fan either but I made myself drink it until it became a habit. Now I prefer water and tend to only drink water or green tea.
  • 2selina
    2selina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hot water with lemon, a large pinch of cinnamon and the same of ginger. Flavoursome and the cinnamon makes it naturally sweetish.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Lemon or lime in unsweetened green tea, hot or iced. Unsweetened Iced coffee with a bit of cinnamon, decaf if its late in the day. Pulse watermelon in your blender with a little water, lime and a sprig of mint or basil. Plain water as cold as you can get- like half ice cubes, half water.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I personally like unsweetened tea. I drink between 7-12 glasses of water a day (whatever I feel like in that range, really) and about three of unsweetened iced tea. The secret to drinking it unsweet in my opinion is to make it a bit weak. I use Tetley brand iced tea blend and you can throw a couple bags in a three quart pitcher full of water and put it in the fridge and it's tea overnight - not bitter or over strong, and no mess or fuss.

When I was a teenager I knew a family who had mint growing wild in their yard, so they would boil it in large pots of water and refrigerate the result, essentially making a mint "tea" that was colorless and all natural. It tasted great without any sweetener but would require a source of mint.

I've found I have a habit of drinking down whatever is in front of me (which can be dangerous when you are drinking alcohol!) so for me if I get water and put it on my desk while I'm working I'll absent mindedly drink it and before I know it it's gone. Possibly a strategy like that could help you get some water into your day? I definitely find I crave soda more when I'm not drinking enough water.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    La Croix and Ice Mountain sparkling water have no artificial ingredients and I think they taste great! Huge fan of seltzer/club soda plain or diet tonic water too. My family thinks I am nuts ;)
  • kham7236
    kham7236 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love iced chai latte! I am working on perfecting a recipe for it, getting close! Brew chai tea with 6-8 oz water. Cool. Add 2 tablespoons coffee creamer. Serve over ice. 70 calories, compared to 240 at Starbucks! You can also add flavored syrups, I love caramel in it. (I don't have a bottle handy to give you the calories on that. But it is available sugar free.)
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    As it is getting cooler (I hope soon) hot drinks become fun again. I like generic black tea with about 1/4 cup of milk. There are a few calories in the milk, but it makes it creamy. I think the milk gives it a sweetness. I think any of these options are probably going to take a couple weeks for your taste buds to get used to them and to really appreciate them. Moral- don't give up on it, try something new for at least a week. ;)
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    La Croix and Ice Mountain sparkling water have no artificial ingredients and I think they taste great! Huge fan of seltzer/club soda plain or diet tonic water too. My family thinks I am nuts ;)

Yep, I LOVE the La Croix water, flavors like grapefruit are great. I also enjoy seltzer and tonic water; add sliced fresh ginger or lime/mandarin/lemon, yum!
    Also black tea or English breakfast tea with splash of milk, delicious in the mornings.
    I also use the Mio and similar water flavorings, though many do have artificial sweeteners, find one that tastes good to you.
    Another one is hibicus flowrs soaked in water, flavored with bit of sweetner, very good. Or any other similar flower or herb (lavendar & vanilla I like too!)
    I personally drink between 3-5 cups of various teas a day, along with water, flavored water, etc.
  • brannewmee
    brannewmee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Add some frozen blueberries to your water and put in the fridge. It gives your water a hint of blueberry flavor.
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    slavikpv wrote: »
    Okay, it's based on water. But You may try to fill a glass with water, add a teaspoon of honey (best natural of course) and squeeze some lemon. Figure out the proportions Yourself :) It's very good to jump start Your organism in the morning with some carbs, potassium and vit C.

How much potassium?
  • mjks_mom
    mjks_mom Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    :( I flavor my water with essential oils. Citrus ones mostly. Really yummy. Perfectly healthy. No chemicals. But was told can't use them after the WLS I'm having next month. So don't know what I'll drink then.
  • elise_crash
    elise_crash Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Bai drinks? They are only 5 calories per can/bottle. They have sparkling and still. They are in the flavored water category, which I usually do not like. But, these are really good! I have had the coconut and the pear. They would be really good to use as low-cal alcoholic drink mixers, or a base to mix with other things (maybe another fruit and/or a little cream).

Here is the website, if you want more info: http://www.drinkbai.com/

They have the nutritional breakdown for each of their flavors.
  • theharvestkitchen
    theharvestkitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I add some unsweetened cranberry juice blend to my glass (Knudsen brand) - then a little ice - then fill the glass up with Smartwater. It's super refreshing! Also, I drink more water when I use a straw. And I love to drink this in the mornings.... http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/lemon-ginger-morning-detox-drink/
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    http://www.infusedwaters.com/ dont need special bottle.
    http://www.fruitinfusedwaters.com/infused-water-recipes/
    http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2012/09/17/fifty-awesome-flavored-water-recipes/
    here's a few sites i have used before i started liking water - i still use them for a change