almond milk

Options
fortunebc
fortunebc Posts: 24 Member
Hi everyone. Can you give me the lowdown on almond milk? I've never used it and don't know if its legitimate for LCHF. It's supposedly sugar free and 30 cals/cup. Ive been plateauing for a month now after losing 20 pounds the first three months. I'm wondering if the cream in my tea (about 5 cups a day) is stalling me. I'm addicted to it and wondered if almond milk would be an alternative. I'm staying in my calorie and macros, but not losing.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    the unsweetened versions are low cal and low carb. it's basically water blended with almonds then the almond pulp is strained out. it's not as creamy as cream but it's quite tasty. Just make sure to get he unsweetened kind, or make it at home.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I tried the sugar free almond milk in coffee and it didn't do anything, didn't whiten or give it any sort of creamy flavor. So still using HWC in coffee. I do use the almond milk with a little sugar substitute when I want something like milk, and use it in "milkshakes"
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use it sometime in my protein shake or some of the recipes. Unsweetened has low carb. I tried cashew milk and didn't like it. Coconut milk is good too.
  • fortunebc
    fortunebc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I guess nothing is going to take the place of HWC! I need to go with no dairy for a week and see if that will budge the plateau.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It's decent, but not creamy. A good enough replacement for milk itself though.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk to drink and usually have a cup a day in my smoothie but almond milk in tea IMO isn't very tasty.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I prefer hwc, but I have used my favorite coconut almond milk blend by Califia Farms. It Is not unsweetened though. Here is the label.
    It is delicious! hjdebzo5sz5h.jpg
  • natalialikescookies
    natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I must be the odd one out. I don't care for almond milk, or any nut milk really. They have no body, basically they're just nut flavored water to me.
    The only thing that replaces milk in my coffee for me ( I ised to drink it in a 50:50 ratio, coffee to milk) is unsweetened soy milk, 80cal/cup, 1 net carb, 4g fat, 7g protein. It has much more body than any nut milk IMO
    Some people are staying away from soy though.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I prefer hwc, but I have used my favorite coconut almond milk blend by Califia Farms. It Is not unsweetened though. Here is the label.

This is the same one I use too. To me, it is the best tasting nut milk in the market.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

This is the same one I use too. To me, it is the best tasting nut milk in the market.

By far! It definitely has more "body" and is way less watery than others I've had. I really feel like it's very close to the consistency of the 2% milk the rest of the family drinks.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the odd one out, because I love the unsweetened 30 cal/serving almond milk... But only in iced coffee. I put 1/4 cup in a big lass of iced coffee, and it helps me power through my non-eating hours.

I like the taste of soy milk, but avoid it because of a family history of breast cancer. Trying to avoid the phytoestrogens.

I used to drink coconut milk, but only liked the sweetened kind, and I'm avoiding anything sweetened these days.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Big lass, eh? That's me. A big lass drinking from a big glass.
  • Ironman162
    Ironman162 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee black and found dairy products no good for me when dieting.
    Almond milk is for smoothies and coconut milk sounds interesting as a treat.
    I've reached my goal weight a long time ago and am in maintenance mode with moderate success.
    :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fortunebc wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Can you give me the lowdown on almond milk? I've never used it and don't know if its legitimate for LCHF. It's supposedly sugar free and 30 cals/cup. Ive been plateauing for a month now after losing 20 pounds the first three months. I'm wondering if the cream in my tea (about 5 cups a day) is stalling me. I'm addicted to it and wondered if almond milk would be an alternative. I'm staying in my calorie and macros, but not losing.

It's totally low carb. One carb a cup! I'm speaking of the unsweet kind. Since I like more fat tho, I usually just water down heavy cream to the consistancy I like. I used to think it was just almonds, but there are actually a lot of ingredients, so I am a bit wary of it. I know what's in heavy cream.

For instance tonight I made a blueberry smoothie using frozen berries, ice, water and cream. It was ok, but next time Ima try adding either protien powder or Greek plain yougurt.

elb5t9gauksd.jpg
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    HWC or double cream in UK definitely best for coffee. Almond milk the unsweetened variety I use half and half with tinned coconut milk in protein shake.