Carvings

Options
Dch102801
Dch102801 Posts: 74 Member
I know I'm not the only one ( at least i hope I'm not). that gets the hunger feeling between snacks and meals.So what are some of the ways you stop from eating all the time?

Replies

• metcastillon
    metcastillon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that have helped me with hunger between snacks and meals:
    - Drink 8oz water, then wait 20 minutes, if I'm no longer hungry then I was dehydrated, if I'm still hungry, I'll eat a low calorie snack (like sliced veggies) to hold me over until snack/meal time
    - Make sure my meals and snacks are high in protein (this keeps me fuller, longer)
    - Always have prepared, healthy snacks available so I won't grab something unhealthy

These have worked for me, and I wish you all the best on your health journey!

"Trust the process."
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Distract yourself (sometimes it's just boredom-this has happened to me all too often; I like taking showers if I'm home which are very relaxing for me or you could try busying yourself with some important work, etc.)
    Usually this and drinking lots of water works for me. Throughout the day, I don't have the biggest problem with hunger, but I am a big late night snacker, which is when I really have to exercise some self control.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sorry...but I can't help but laugh at the typo for the title of this thread. I am sure you meant "cravings" but accidentally typed "carvings." Well, I'd like to CARVE inches off my hips and thighs and belly... ;)
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to keep high fiber, high protein, healthy snacks around to grab when I get the munchies. I also try to not eat so much at my main meals so I can enjoy snacks during the day.

I also keep a pack of sugar free gum handy and use that to distract me from eating (or stop eating too much of whatever I'm snacking on).
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that have helped me with hunger between snacks and meals:
    - Drink 8oz water, then wait 20 minutes, if I'm no longer hungry then I was dehydrated, if I'm still hungry, I'll eat a low calorie snack (like sliced veggies) to hold me over until snack/meal time
    - Make sure my meals and snacks are high in protein (this keeps me fuller, longer)
    - Always have prepared, healthy snacks available so I won't grab something unhealthy

These have worked for me, and I wish you all the best on your health journey!

"Trust the process."

That is exactly what I do!!
  • danielaica
    danielaica Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had tons of cravings before until I started having oats for breakfast
  • Dch102801
    Dch102801 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sorry...but I can't help but laugh at the typo for the title of this thread. I am sure you meant "cravings" but accidentally typed "carvings." Well, I'd like to CARVE inches off my hips and thighs and belly... ;)

I didn't realize that oops my bad . yes I meant cravings not carvings I was typing in a hurry. Before I had to get back to work.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    danielaica wrote: »
    I had tons of cravings before until I started having oats for breakfast

This helped me too!
  • rdtalon
    rdtalon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Water helps me a lot too! We also have some simple granola bars at work that anyone can grab, so a sorta healthy snack is not really out of reach if I really need something.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Protein, in the form of some kind of meat, protein oatmeal, protein shakes ect. I just have to watch out for too much sodium. Milk has a bunch of protein. Its a good drink to stave off hunger and gives energy too.Those little clementine oranges kill cravings as well, give them a try--they are a quick pick me up to eat at work when you are busy, busy, busy! Staying busy is another way not to give into cravings. Making sure you eat a lot of bulk at meals. Have a salad, protein, a cooked veggie and some fruit. Avoid bread, starchy veggies, and the like. Once you get started eating these things you are hungry all the time. Or at least I am.
  • colormeJamie
    colormeJamie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Typically I don't snack anymore. I made the mistake last night of having a bag of pretzel (individual serving). That only opened up the door to wanting more. Fortunately I resisted and watched the movie with just water. Flour based carbs make me crave more carbs. So I'll be careful to avoid those late in the day.

I tell myself I can have all the vegetables I want. And I'm talking non processed vegetables. Like, I keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer. If you're truly hungry, there's nothing like a bowl of broccoli. And if you eat it close to plain with maybe just a little spray butter and salt then its almost like nothing on those hips ...the hips that I do want carvings to :)
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,237 Member
    Options
    The only late night snack I allow myself is fruit but like @nannersp61 hitting your protein goal helps with being hungry all the time!
  • infitspo
    infitspo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is great, I have a major problem with snacking so any tips are SO appreciated!