YogaGlo, etc.

Options
jaimekbee1219
jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
Hi!

I'm looking to switch things up with my home practice. Before I took a way to long hiatus to finish my Master's, I was using the Daily Yoga app. I pay 18$ a year for access to the "programs" which provides you with two or more weeks of yoga routines. I really like it a lot but some of it gets repetitive. I like to have a variety of classes to pick from and I was wondering if the YogaGlo site was worth the 18$/month.

Any suggestions for any of the on demand stuff offered with cable or any DVDs? I have been doing yoga for nearly ten years, but still consider myself a beginner due to how infrequently I get to practice. I would love suggestions from anyone really. I'm trying to get serious about my practice now that I'm not spending my evenings doing research and writing papers.

Ideally, I want to practice in a studio, but my schedule is rather ridiculous at the moment so home and internet it is!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DonnaS0327
    DonnaS0327 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have used both GaiamTV and YogaGlo, and have found YogaGlo to be a much better fit for me. As an older beginner, I really appreciate the beginner series' they provide in various styles of yoga. Each segment is fairly short, well-explained, well-demonstrated, and the series' end with a full class that puts it all together. There are 7 segments to each beginner series. I found myself sometimes practicing the same segment for 2 or 3 days, until I felt comfortable and fairly confident with each new pose. Then I moved on to the next. Worked out very well for me. You can always do a few segments in a row too, if doing less isn't challenging enough for you.

I found GaiamTV's beginner videos to be difficult to follow and moved along too quickly for me to properly learn poses. It was quite frustrating and I ended up giving up on yoga altogether for a few months ... until I found YogaGlo.

YogaGlo has tons of classes for everyone, from beginner to advanced practices in many different styles.

That's just my experience. Since I am in my 60's and have some limitations (fibro, arthritis and bad knees), so the slower, repetitive and more detailed beginner instructions and demonstrations are perfect for me. So glad I signed up!

They do have a free trial period (15 days, I think it is), so you can try it out and, if you don't feel it's a good fit for you, cancel before your trial is up.

Hope this has been of help to you. :smile:

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Do you have Instagram? Not that I want to stalk you or anything :D
    But there is a huge yoga community with loads of "challenges" which are just daily postures or flows that you do and post to maybe be randomly picked for a prize. The cool part is you can get all of these great ideas for flows, poses or home practice for free from some of the most well know teachers in the world and other yogis of all skill levels. Not to mention, quite a few yogi users post their daily practices that could give you ideas. Now that may not be for you at all, I understand the need for structure and instruction because I have a need for that as well, but I have found the "challenge" aspect to be just that. It's motivation to get on my mat everyday. Just a thought, enjoy your journey.
  • jaimekbee1219
    Options
    twighlah wrote: »
    Hi,

I have used both GaiamTV and YogaGlo, and have found YogaGlo to be a much better fit for me. As an older beginner, I really appreciate the beginner series' they provide in various styles of yoga. Each segment is fairly short, well-explained, well-demonstrated, and the series' end with a full class that puts it all together. There are 7 segments to each beginner series. I found myself sometimes practicing the same segment for 2 or 3 days, until I felt comfortable and fairly confident with each new pose. Then I moved on to the next. Worked out very well for me. You can always do a few segments in a row too, if doing less isn't challenging enough for you.

I found GaiamTV's beginner videos to be difficult to follow and moved along too quickly for me to properly learn poses. It was quite frustrating and I ended up giving up on yoga altogether for a few months ... until I found YogaGlo.

YogaGlo has tons of classes for everyone, from beginner to advanced practices in many different styles.

That's just my experience. Since I am in my 60's and have some limitations (fibro, arthritis and bad knees), so the slower, repetitive and more detailed beginner instructions and demonstrations are perfect for me. So glad I signed up!

They do have a free trial period (15 days, I think it is), so you can try it out and, if you don't feel it's a good fit for you, cancel before your trial is up.

Hope this has been of help to you. :smile:

Thank you so much!!! It sounds like it is definitely worth checking out considering my level. I like the idea of repeating the lessens before moving on. Sorry you had a bad experience with GaiamTv! I would probably get frustrated, too. That's why I figured I'd ask first instead of checking it out myself - I get discouraged easily when I feel like I can't keep up. I (most likely - still getting diagnosed) have fibro as well, so my preference is to start easy and work my way up! I'm really excited about it now! Thanks again!!!! :smiley:
  • jaimekbee1219
    Options
    Do you have Instagram? Not that I want to stalk you or anything :D
    But there is a huge yoga community with loads of "challenges" which are just daily postures or flows that you do and post to maybe be randomly picked for a prize. The cool part is you can get all of these great ideas for flows, poses or home practice for free from some of the most well know teachers in the world and other yogis of all skill levels. Not to mention, quite a few yogi users post their daily practices that could give you ideas. Now that may not be for you at all, I understand the need for structure and instruction because I have a need for that as well, but I have found the "challenge" aspect to be just that. It's motivation to get on my mat everyday. Just a thought, enjoy your journey.

I do have instagram! I've followed Yoga Journal for awhile now (which I also have a subscription to), and recently a friend recommended Kathryn Budig's account - which is how I learned of yogaglo. Can you recommend any others? I like the idea of daily poses and challenges for days when I may not have time to do a whole sequence. Sometimes I do the sequences in Yoga Journal, but constantly referencing the magazine and having to turn pages messes up my flow a little. I've found it easier to listen or watch. Thanks for your help!!! :smiley:
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't exactly what you asked... But I started using my laptop & youtube to increase variety free. Some channels are better than others- it can take a few busts before you find a gem you love. Some recommendations: Yoga with Adrienne is fantastic for beginners and intermediates who enjoy additional guidance. Tara Stiles is good if you want a shorter, quick workout that you can loop. Fightmaster Yoga is a bit more advanced, wit longer average videos, and several guided meditation episodes. Hulu is also a good source, but without Hulu+ ($ version) some shows may not be available. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Happy yoga journey!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I do have instagram! I've followed Yoga Journal for awhile now (which I also have a subscription to), and recently a friend recommended Kathryn Budig's account - which is how I learned of yogaglo. Can you recommend any others? I like the idea of daily poses and challenges for days when I may not have time to do a whole sequence. Sometimes I do the sequences in Yoga Journal, but constantly referencing the magazine and having to turn pages messes up my flow a little. I've found it easier to listen or watch. Thanks for your help!!! :smiley:

Yes I will gladly suggest some users to follow! Sorry for the late reply!!
    @kinoyoga
    @beachyogagirl
    @casa_colibri
    @superhumanyogi
    @happyhealthyexistence
    @ lucylovesyoga
    @naughygirlyoga
    @becomingorganic
    @deandreyyoga
    @beahappyamy
    @hollapop
    @upsidedownmoma

Just to name a few ;) If you want more let me know.
  • jaimekbee1219
    Options
    Kanuenue wrote: »
    I know this isn't exactly what you asked... But I started using my laptop & youtube to increase variety free. Some channels are better than others- it can take a few busts before you find a gem you love. Some recommendations: Yoga with Adrienne is fantastic for beginners and intermediates who enjoy additional guidance. Tara Stiles is good if you want a shorter, quick workout that you can loop. Fightmaster Yoga is a bit more advanced, wit longer average videos, and several guided meditation episodes. Hulu is also a good source, but without Hulu+ ($ version) some shows may not be available. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Happy yoga journey!

Thank you! This is perfect! I just really wanted a jumping off point... I figure a few recommendations from people who have been doing this longer/more frequently will help me know what to look for when choosing videos on my own. I realize everyone has their own preferences, but it definitely gives me some place to start!!!

Thanks again for your recommendations! :smile:
  • jaimekbee1219
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check them out

Yes I will gladly suggest some users to follow! Sorry for the late reply!!
    @kinoyoga
    @beachyogagirl
    @casa_colibri
    @superhumanyogi
    @happyhealthyexistence
    @ lucylovesyoga
    @naughygirlyoga
    @becomingorganic
    @deandreyyoga
    @beahappyamy
    @hollapop
    @upsidedownmoma

Just to name a few ;) If you want more let me know.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check them out!
  • lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My favorite website for home practice is:
    https://www.doyogawithme.com

It's free, lots of videos to choose from, differents teachers and I love their overall approch.

In the section "programs", you can even download a program of your choice either by giving a donation or if you write "0" as the donation, you can get it for free.

• panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i have a basic ashtanga primary series dvd by kino macgregor that i like to use for self practice when i'm traveling, but i'm a pretty advanced yogi. it's a very solid workout that lasts for a little over an hour.

http://www.amazon.com/Ashtanga-Yoga-Primary-Kino-MacGregor/dp/B001XRTS9S/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1435908944&sr=1-2&keywords=kino+macgregor
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there were challenges and stuff on instagram. people have been telling me to be on it but I've not made the leap yet
  • jaimekbee1219
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! So far I have only checked out Yoga by Adrienne - I've seen it recommended a lot. Life got a little busy so I haven't followed up on the other suggestions yet.

I have, however, taken my first studio class (sort of)! A small chain yoga studio in NJ called PowerFlow offers free 1 hour outdoor classes in June & July. It's harder than the stuff I usually do, but I love the challenge of it! They are actually doing an Instagram challenge as well.

Now that my work schedule is a little lighter I will have more time to check out all your suggestions! Thanks again for the help :)
  • Cailia
    Cailia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out that I had the opposite experience with GaiamTV. I also started with the Daily Yoga app and then moved onto GaiamTV. There are a ton of videos on all styles of yoga at various levels. I found the beginner videos that I watched were easy to follow, but I grew bored of them quickly and moved on to the 'all levels' videos in just a couple of weeks. That was in March, during my 99¢ trial. I now bounce between 'all levels' sessions and 'intermediate, level 2-3,' which are challenging, but doable with some modifations when I'm not quite strong, stable or bendy enough. I've seen huge improvements in my strenth, flexibility and balance over the past few months, but I still have a long way to go. Vinyasa has become my favorite style, but I do others, as well.

I also like that GaiamTV has videos for meditation, Taijichuan (Tai Chi), Qigong, Budokon and cardio fusion. I'd love it if thy expanded these areas more... esp. in the Eastern Arts. It adds more variety to my workouts.

The only issue I have run into with GaiamTV is that some videos have playback issues, especially on our Samsung Smart Hub, which I use to watch them on our large screen TV. The 24-form Tai Chi series especially has some digital distortion issues. I hope they get it resolved soon. Overall though, most of the videos have been fine.

IMO, despite its occasional quirks, I have found GaiamTV to be a a good offering at $10/month. Gaiam offers a 1-month trial for 99¢, so why not try it and see how it works for you?
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love yogaglo, I literally use it every single day. If I were on a desert island, it's one of the things I would beg to take with me.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is an older thread but I think it is a good one. I follow Dr.Melissa West. She has over 300 FREE videos on YouTube. I do yoga every day and it's been three full years of everyday yoga for me.
  • jaimekbee1219
    Options
    Oh awesome! I'll check that out! I recently found a studio I love but there aren't a lot of classes that fit with my schedule so I'm trying to practice more at home. Thanks for adding to the thread!