Doubts after first 5K

Options
samra338
samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I hadn't run since high school, more than 20 years ago. As part of my plan to improve my cardiac fitness, I started C25K a couple of months back and finished it last week. I didn't have any major struggles along the way, but was going too slow and didn't cover much distance because I was concentrating on running time rather than speed or distance.
Today, I ran my first 5k. It was hot and on an unfamiliar route and in all the excitement, I started too fast and after the first 2k, had to slow down. I made the mistake of walking after 4k and couldn't start running again. I walked to the finish! I was last and finished in just over an hour. I also think that towards the end, I was concentrating more on just finishing and not bothered about my time.
I had intended to start with B210k next week, but now am wondering if it's worth going back and start working my way back from W6? In the past, I would have been too embarrassed and given up, but now I want to run the same route again in 45 minutes. What do you guys think?
Edited to add that last week I did 3 miles in 46 minutes.

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Congratulations! You've made a major accomplishment, AND had the guts to put yourself "out there".

I'm going to answer this from the standpoint of someone who is on pretty much the same shoes - I hadn't run since high school, almost a quarter of a century ago. However, in the past year and a half I have done C25K TWICE! (With a big ol' 9 month 5K2C in between) The first time around I ran 5k a couple times, then I stopped running because I had accomplished my goal, and want motivated anymore. The second time around I was certain that I wad going to follow it up with a B210K; I couldn't find the time for the hour-long workouts that requires, however. I completed that second C25K several months ago, and have been running 5k 3 times a week, focusing on weight loss instead of running speed or distance.

The bottom line, and my answer to you is, that you can do either. But whatever you do, you have got to find something that will motivate YOU, and that YOU can keep up with. The is no right answer - faster, father, whatever - add long as you don't stop and give up what you have worked so hard to achieve (like I did the first time around)

By the way - it doesn't sound like you are a 60+ minute 5k runner. It sounds like you are someone who got caught up in the adrenaline of your first race and made a mental mistake. No big deal. Rave number 2 will be better than rave number 1, and THAT is all that matters!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    I started too fast and after the first 2k, had to slow down.

So you know what went wrong...

It is a challenge not to go out too fast. For me that's more of a challenge in the short races than longer ones.

If you're doing a 46 minute 5K then I'd suggest that you'll get more from B210K than you will from redoing C25K. You'll be training yourself to run for a shorter period than you currently can.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting out there, someone has to come in last. As MM and you have said, you know what you did wrong, got caught up in the emotion, adrenaline pumped and your body overruled your head and you went for it. Your body ended up with less resources than it should have and your mind took over and got you to the finish safely. So next time go a little slower.

As for what to do next, at this stage I would recommend getting time on your feet, so doing c25k but on 4 sessions a week, so back to back runs or doing B210k. My personal preferrence will always be to do B210k because going longer means you will be able to so shorter faster. But it is what you are comfortable with and whether you can put the time in on the longer B210k sessions. However have fun and book your next 5k now to give you a target to aim for.

Well done for what you have accomplished so far and good luck on the rest of your journey
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Great job on your first 5k. I agree with the prior posters. I think your next step really depends on your personal goals. Sign up for another 5k. I don't think you can go wrong with either program.
  • samra338
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for your kind comments <3
    Right now, more than weight loss, cardiac fitness is my priority. I think I will move onto B210k and run each week twice to see if I am covering the distance in the second week, more comfortably. I'm going to run the same route and hopefully, will attempt my second 5k in a month's time.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5k! :)
    Starting too fast is a common mistake. I did the same thing at my first 5k and had to walk part of it.
    I second moving to B210k or even start training for 10k (doing 3 miles twice a week and a long run once a week). Doing longer runs will help you get faster.
  • samra338
    Options
    Thanks @Aine8046 :) Yes, B210k is the next stop. I love structured programs, so I will take it slowly and reevaluate after 3 months. I will be running a 5k at the end of July, I will consciously work at staying calm, ignoring others around me and taking it slow and steady.
  • samra338
    Options
    So...taking the advice of experienced people here, I started my B210K and just finished Wk11 last week. Today, I ran my second 5k in 40:12 :) I will keep chipping away the minutes. As everyone says, 'Trust in the program' and enjoy yourself. Happy running!
  • jhdawson83
    jhdawson83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, great job!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    So...taking the advice of experienced people here, I started my B210K and just finished Wk11 last week. Today, I ran my second 5k in 40:12 :) I will keep chipping away the minutes. As everyone says, 'Trust in the program' and enjoy yourself. Happy running!

Fantastic, it is great that you are enjoying your running. Good luck on the rest of your journey

• samra338
    Options
    Thank you @jhdawson83 and @ftrobbie
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    you got this