Protein #'s?

Options
I have a question for you all. When I started my keto journey 2 months ago I read all I could and most webpages gave the same or similar numbers. Follow the macros. 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. For my weight and activity level this puts me at about 65 grams of protein a day. I kept hearing about how too much protein will convert to sugar. So I never worried about how much protein to eat.

Recently I have come across several sites and groups that say this is wrong. The protein is way to low. My protein should be at min of 90 grams a day and my fat should be much lower. Closer to 60% at highest. Some of these groups have a lot of scientific information backing them.

Since I am so new I haven't had a lot of time to try out both ways. And I'm impatient so that doesn't help. Lol. So I'm asking you guys, what do you follow and why? Have you tried different approaches? Which worked best for you? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Replies

• Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you strength training? Your intake requirements will vary. Personally I aim for around 1 grander pound of weight but this is due to the fact I need a high protein diet to assist with recovery from hours of resistance and Olympic lifting every week.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Different people are more sensitive to the effects of protein than others. That said, for most people, you would need to eat truly astounding amounts of protein before it really became a problem.

While losing weight, I averaged around 100-130 grams a day. This still was around 20% for me, which is why percentages are meaningless. You can't speak with percentages without knowing calories. My fat was around 75% most of the time. I lost steadily and had consistently good blood ketones and glucose readings while losing weight.

I am very pro-protein, and I argue against the irrational fear of "too much" all the time. You're not going to eat too much unless you're really trying to eat too much. And, 90 grams is nowhere near too much (it's like a third of it). I would say that 90 grams might work very well for you. But, everyone needs to try it for themselves. People are too unique for us to tell you what your experience will be.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight FIT_Goat. I agree everyone is different. I am not really exercising much and am trying to lose weight. I average about 1500 calories a day.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Different people are more sensitive to the effects of protein than others. That said, for most people, you would need to eat truly astounding amounts of protein before it really became a problem.

Agree. Everything I've read also agrees.

I have actually a hard time getting enough protein as it's the most expensive part of my day unless you like eggs (which I don't, but I do try to have one for Bfast daily).

I've been thinking of going back to a protein powder shake or adding a scoop to a smoothie each day just because my numbers are always too low in protein (and carbs take up that slack).
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the insight FIT_Goat. I agree everyone is different. I am not really exercising much and am trying to lose weight. I average about 1500 calories a day.

Unless my math is screwed up, you're not eating 25% protein at 65g.

1500 calories x 25% = 375 calories from protein
    375 calories / 4 cal/g = 93.75g protein.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

ETA: By my calcs, you should be getting 116.67g fat, 93.75g protein, and 18.75g carbs in order to hit the 70/25/5 targets.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

Unless my math is screwed up, you're not eating 25% protein at 65g.

1500 calories x 25% = 375 calories from protein
    375 calories / 4 cal/g = 93.75g protein.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

ETA: By my calcs, you should be getting 116.67g fat, 93.75g protein, and 18.75g carbs in order to hit the 70/25/5 targets.

Your math looks right on. At 1800 cals I get 23g carbs or 5%, 140g fat or 70% & 113g protein or 25%
    and those numbers make me a very happy camper. :)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have discovered (for myself) that protein raises my blood sugar levels. For example, last night's dinner was two porkchops with mayonnaise. (and since I was breaking a 27 hour fast, that is all the protein I had all day) This morning's FBG was 126, whereas when I eat less meat/protein, my FBG drops. So my liver is apparently an expert at converting protein to glucose. :/
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I have discovered (for myself) that protein raises my blood sugar levels. For example, last night's dinner was two porkchops with mayonnaise. (and since I was breaking a 27 hour fast, that is all the protein I had all day) This morning's FBG was 126, whereas when I eat less meat/protein, my FBG drops. So my liver is apparently an expert at converting protein to glucose. :/

Makes sense, fat does'n affect bg but protein does, not to the extent carbs do, so 2 porkchops w/o
    carbs could get higher FBG. I'm sure it wouldn't compare to chops + 60g carbs.

What works for me and keeps my best bg control is to limit my protein to 1/3 my daily macros at
    each meal. I usually only have vegges at dinner so my morning insulin is at its peak to cover it.
    Fats :) well everyone knows fats are great! I try to balance them too but.... B)

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think my goal is around 90 on here but I pay very little attention to it. I glance to make sure I've had at least 75-80 grams and don't worry about going over at all. I feel best when I consume somewhere between 75-120 grams of protein per day. I do use protein shakes as a part of my diet because they are portable and filling, those are 30g a pop. I have no adverse reactions to going quite a bit over, and in fact lose better when I do.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Could also be the fact that it's pork and not protein in general. There's some evidence that uncured pork has a different effect on the body than even cured pork or other meats. Might be worth trying an experiment, where you get about as much fat and protein, but from a different protein source, and see what your FBG is.