Lifting Heavy

Options
ladybg81
ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
I lift and am currently doing Jamie Eason Live Fit. Really loving it but I don't know if I am really lifting heavy enough. I try to ensure that reps 8-10 are difficult but still possible to complete. Am I on the right track here? Should I increase weights each week or when those last few reps feel easier?

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you are lifting to build or at least retain lean muscle, the 8-12 rep range is a good place. That's something else, you should have goals and be progressing. If you can do 12 reps with a weight, it may be time to increase until you're back to 8 and work your way up again.

Long story longer, if you are making the last rep (somewhere around 10) a struggle you are lifting heavy and keep it up.
  • ladybg81
    Options
    Right now, it's 3 sets of 10 reps. So yes, starting at about 8 it becomes a struggle with 10 being quite difficult. So, then I need to wait to increase weight until the 10th becomes easier or should I increase each time I work that muscle group. I work everything but legs once per week, legs get hit twice.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    ladybg81 wrote: »
    Right now, it's 3 sets of 10 reps. So yes, starting at about 8 it becomes a struggle with 10 being quite difficult. So, then I need to wait to increase weight until the 10th becomes easier or should I increase each time I work that muscle group. I work everything but legs once per week, legs get hit twice.

I would wait until 10-12 reps get's easy-er. You can make that a target. If you can hit 12 without dying, lol, then increase the weight. Oh and something else, if you go up to your next weight increment and you cannot complete 10 reps, then up the goal from 12 to 15 on that movement. Lastly, I wouldn't increase the weight each workout unless you are training for maximal strength. I'm assuming your goal is to increase lean muscle mass or hypertrophy, please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't know that program. When does it tell you to increase weight?

That's when you should do it. That's the whole point of following a beginner program - it takes away the guess work.
  • XavierNusum
    Options

That's when you should do it. That's the whole point of following a beginner program - it takes away the guess work.

I'm assuming it's similar to the beach body products, because most have been pattered after them, which don't tell you exactly when to increase weight like a strength program. It's typically based on rep range and personal feel.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I'm assuming it's similar to the beach body products, because most have been pattered after them, which don't tell you exactly when to increase weight like a strength program. It's typically based on rep range and personal feel.

Ah - ok. I'll bow out quietly :smile:
  • XavierNusum
    Options

Ah - ok. I'll bow out quietly :smile:

All input is valid! You learn something new everyday.
  • ladybg81
    Options

I'll have to go back and read up but I do not recall it stating when to increase weight. But I could be wrong. Thanks for the input!