Weekend eaters support

Options
danielaica
danielaica Posts: 28 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all,

For some people, the weekends are the worst when trying to stay on track with your dieting goals. We could share thoughts and post ideas on how to prevent overeating during the weekends.

I visited some family yesterday and they had a feast for us. I just gave in and ate everything I wanted and fell off my diet plan completely. I'm feeling a bit guilty today. But I'll take it lightly and have some chicken and salad for lunch today instead!

Cheers everyone!

Replies

• Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the worst for me also. We have lots of family and something always going on every single weekend. We had a big birthday party yesterday and a feast as well. The only advice I can give is, mind over matter. Serve yourself with the mentality your serving a child. Absolutely no seconds. You have to self talk yourself but don't deprive yourself. It's easier said than done. Trust me I know.
  • maximumcutie
    maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did horribly this weekend - I was house-sitting for a friend and whenever I'm there I always end up eating so much snack food - probably because I don't keep that stuff at my place for this specific reason. Going to have to get my butt in gear this week to get back those extra calories that I ate.
    In the past, I know that when I'm busy on the weekend, I tend not to overeat; but, when I'm just relaxing around home, I tend to get bored and snack - even if it's healthy food, I go overboard. Gotta add more activity to my life to avoid this.
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Weekends throw me off too because I'm not in the office far from my fridge. The only things available weekdays are the good things that i pack in my lunch. I do much better Monday to Friday... and then Friday night rolls around and DH wants to order pizza and open a bottle of wine. I am going to have to ensure that i have a plan for Friday...ie. no pizza without salad first. I'll also have to work on sticking to a routine with sleep; if I don't get enough sleep, my hand-to-mouth reflex is pretty strong and for some reason, i never know that it's kicked in until after the damage is done!
  • tracylynnc
    tracylynnc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cook up a my meals for the weekend so then everything is already convenient (and it seems waste to not eat it). When I know I'm going to friends' and family's' house and there will be food, I eat before I go so I'm not hungry and can just nibble a little (so I don't get the social pressure to eat). I also keep a can of almonds in my car for emergencies (suddenly lunch with friends, etc).
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I find weekends tough too. In the past (and can't promise I won't again), I would have been face first into a delivery pepperoni pizza and a bottle of wine. Rather than denying myself and then obsessing over what I can't have (setting myself up for a fail), I try to figure out healthier alternatives. Instead of a frozen or delivered pizza, we make pizza at home using tortilla wraps as a base, a can of chopped tomatoes as sauce, then whatever toppings- my favourite is artichokes and a bit of chorizo, some low fat mozzarella, a grating of old parmesan and fresh basil to finish it. Other alternatives I'm working with are half courgette/zuccini "noodles" half brown pasta for my weekly spaghetti Bolognese. I've replaced bread with Ryvita cracker bread (topped with avocado and tomato, yum!). Its a work in progress, trying to make smarter choices. However, I've no intention of finding an alternative for my odd glass of red wine!
  • danielaica
    Options
    WWnot wrote: »
    Weekends throw me off too because I'm not in the office far from my fridge. The only things available weekdays are the good things that i pack in my lunch. I do much better Monday to Friday... and then Friday night rolls around and DH wants to order pizza and open a bottle of wine. I am going to have to ensure that i have a plan for Friday...ie. no pizza without salad first. I'll also have to work on sticking to a routine with sleep; if I don't get enough sleep, my hand-to-mouth reflex is pretty strong and for some reason, i never know that it's kicked in until after the damage is done!

I too have an excelent hand-to-mouth reflex! :smiley:
    This made my laugh! :blush:

@tracylynnc I live in Chile where declining food is seen as rude, which is the main reason why I'm having a really tough time with this. But I think that some good adivce that has been given is to keep the weekends busy with different types of activities. I'm looking into wall climbing and other things I can do to keep my mind off food over the weekends.

• WWnot
    Options
    I think we need to set up a Survive the Weekend mini challenge! How many Survivors will be left on Monday mornings? There are 4 weekends left in August, so we have 4 opportunities to get things right within the August challenge. And for those who don't survive, well, we'll throw them a rope and pull them back on the island to prepare for the next weekend...but only if they tell us what they learned so that we can all benefit from their experience to help us too!
  • danielaica
    Options
    I think we need to set up a Survive the Weekend mini challenge! How many Survivors will be left on Monday mornings? There are 4 weekends left in August, so we have 4 opportunities to get things right within the August challenge. And for those who don't survive, well, we'll throw them a rope and pull them back on the island to prepare for the next weekend...but only if they tell us what they learned so that we can all benefit from their experience to help us too!

@WWnot I agree. Weekend challenge is needed!
  • WWnot
    Options
    Ok danielaica - Let's make a point of checking in here on Friday to post our plans for the weekend that will keep us on track. And then we can check back in on Monday to report how it went. :smile: And of course, anyone else can join us..the more, the merrier. And the more, the more to be accountable to. :blush:
  • simquilts2
    simquilts2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the weekend challenge! Will start thinking about my plan and post it on Friday.
  • jjacks1986
    jjacks1986 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have been doing so well up until dinner...porridge for breakfast, a hard cross fit workout session, wholemeal pita with feta cheese, lettuce tomatoes and red onion for lunch, running around all afternoon cleaning, tidying and food prepping...and

I'm in!!! :)
  • jjacks1986
    Options
    ignore the first bit on this status! was still left from typing before lol
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I need to play. Saturday night always puts me over. I do pretty good all week, eat healthy, exercise but Saturday night just seems to need wine. So my strategy going into this coming weekend is to 'bank' some calories that I can use on the weekend.
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    I think we need to set up a Survive the Weekend mini challenge! How many Survivors will be left on Monday mornings? There are 4 weekends left in August, so we have 4 opportunities to get things right within the August challenge. And for those who don't survive, well, we'll throw them a rope and pull them back on the island to prepare for the next weekend...but only if they tell us what they learned so that we can all benefit from their experience to help us too! [/quote]

I need to play. Saturday night always puts me over. I do pretty good all week, eat healthy, exercise but Saturday night just seems to need wine. So my strategy going into this coming weekend is to 'bank' some calories that I can use on the weekend.[/quote]

• mmebouchon
    Options
    Oops I messed up the quote, sorry It was by WWnot and brilliant idea, but not my idea.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This past weekend we had our big weekly family dinner. I know they usually serve some meat, potatoes, wine and desert. I pre-entered the meal into MFP and for the first weekend ever didn't totally derail. I was able to eat carrots instead of the chips and dip because I knew my calorie count would be OK if I just stuck to the plan. I also accounted for 10 oz of wine and stuck to that as well. Will do that again this weekend. They served fruit instead of the expected ice cream for desert, so I had a second serving of potato salad. It was fun to do as well.
  • jjacks1986
    Options
    so, here is my plan:
    Friday after work will be spent prepping for the weekend!
    saturday: we will be out and about at a dog show so I will take lunch with me - couscous salad (they usually only have burgers/sausages/bacon babs/hog roast etc. At such events) and I will also take some healthy sweet treats (not sure yet what I will do, maybe some banana oat bars or something) dinner is already planned and I will allow for some wine as well (making a white wine spritzer with soda water makes it seem more without adding any calories ;) )
    Sunday will be tricky as I will have friends round for tea and cake...so will have to turn up the willpower and just dont eat cake (or have whatever I am making as a sweet treat on saturday)
    Sunday dinner is already planned as well and if I fancy something sweet, I will allow for some quark with banana and grated dark chocolate

readily available snacks will be: carrot sticks and celery sticks and a quark dip
    hard boiled eggs
    nuts

there will also be 2 cross fit sessions Saturday and Sunday so all in all it should be a good weekend :)

wish me luck! ;)
  • WWnot
    Options
    Wow, jjacks1986, sounds like you've been giving it a lot of thought already! I woke up this morning already distressed about the weekend and decided that i'd better get things planned today too. I'll get back with my plan but yours has given me some good ideas. And btw, for your Sunday cake, another option for your and your guests...you could make a light Angel Food cake and serve it with fresh local berries and a coulis made from them and maybe a light lemon yogurt topping? Or a strawberry shortcake variation with the Angel Food cake.

For those weekends where we're invited out I put my gracious guest-ulterior motive plan in action and make sure i bring a fresh veggie platter to set beside all the other stuff (chips, stuffed mushrooms, crab dip etc) plus a fresh fruit platter to be served with dessert. I know my friends have caught on as to why i do that, but now they expect it and dive into the veggies and fruit too. :smile:
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to investigate some protein powder recipes over the weekend- I spotted a few interesting options on epicureanbb.com, including a number of sweet treats but I'm after pancakes! Usually I've more of a savoury taste bud so my weekend may involve my homemade tortilla-wrap-as-a-crust pizza with extra spicy chorizo. Saw another great recipe for a hamburger alternative, as sometimes this is my weekend preference- lean turkey mice patty, lots of lovely seasonings and Portobello mushrooms for the bun! You'd be stuffed after that!
  • danielaica
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I need to study for uni this weekend and I'll be sitting at my desk for long hours.
    I will do some quick circuit exercises both saturday and sunday (something like this: 20 squats, 10 burpees, 50 jumping-jacks and 40 sit-ups and repeat for about 5 sets).
    I bought some lean meats and lots of veggies that I'll be stirfrying probably (no oil). I like broccoli, zucchini, carrot, onion stirfry with about 150 g lean beef or chicken.
    For snacks I have eggs, nuts, mangos and lowfat yogurth.

I'm hoping my uni work keeps my mind off snacking and overeating this weekend. Also, I'm thinking about going paleo for a couple of weeks (starting monday :blush: ) to see if it makes any difference in my weightloss sense I've been stuck at the same weight for about 3 weeks now.

Hope everyone has a great and healthy weekend!