What age did it start for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Im glad i found this group..my dr told me i was perimenopausal im 40 i thought she was nuts lol..have some dizziness, insomnia,and Memory loss right before i start ..periods are alot shorter used to be 6 days down to 3 light days( i love that part )..but i have found for me adding in strength training is helping my moods, cramping, and the scale wasnt budging until i add it in ..weight loss is a slower process now but im loving the changes im seeing.
  • carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    carole4000 wrote: »
    Hi. New to group. Interesting reading. I'm 46, get extremely heavy periods, dizziness and an occasional night sweat. Cannot seem to lose weight and feel a bit distracted/lack of concentration. Think it's about time I went for a check up!

Glad to have a compatriot for the dizziness. This has been and continues to be my most vexing symptom.

I used to put dizziness down to other things but now realise it's usually once a month, so much that I have had to come home from work and lie down. This month I had severe back ache - not sure if this is a symptom too? Going to book MOT at doctors!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi. New to group. Interesting reading. I'm 46, get extremely heavy periods, dizziness and an occasional night sweat. Cannot seem to lose weight and feel a bit distracted/lack of concentration. Think it's about time I went for a check up!

Glad to have a compatriot for the dizziness. This has been and continues to be my most vexing symptom.

I used to put dizziness down to other things but now realise it's usually once a month, so much that I have had to come home from work and lie down. This month I had severe back ache - not sure if this is a symptom too? Going to book MOT at doctors!

The dizziness is such a weird thing. I haven't quite put my finger on when and how it happens, but it has come and gone the last few years. In fact I just had a fascinating time with it. I was in a museum of sorts, and we were having a nice lecture. The docent said she would turn off the lights and then keep talking. She did and it was pitch black (no problem). Then she said look to the left and see if you can see the light. I looked to the left (in pitch black) and immediately felt like the floor dropped out from under me. I had to grab onto a friend for a minute to get the room to stop moving. Very bizarre. And as quickly as it began it ended.
  • GinsTheThing
    GinsTheThing Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    cindaymom wrote: »
    This time around (3rd) the weight is coming off by the micro-grams; it is SO slow. Never before been such a poor rate - maybe 2lbs over a month?

A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. So (depending on your size) you're probably doing way better than you think.

Thank you , I'm now 17 lbs ow so you're absolutely right . Nice to be reminded
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My mom was done at 40. I started perimenipausing at 36. A was having constant bleeding and never ending periods for years. I had two d & c's to no avail and then my gyn did a biopsy to confirm I was approaching menopause. By 40 yrs I was getting desperate from chronic anemia and carrying around piles of pads 24/7. The gyn tried a mirena which definitely helped control the bleeding. By 42 I had completely stopped and it was verified by blood tests. Now I'm 49 and have been on HRT for four years. HRT helps, but I really miss my good old natural hormones. My memory is not the same, and neither is my sleep. My metabolism has slowed significantly. Early menopause really sucks!!!
  • magentatoo
    magentatoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started perimenopause in my early 40's, my last period was about 5 years ago, I'm now 51. I still have hot flashes, memory loss and mood swings - I had to give up a leadership role at work because of depression and feel a lot less stressed now. Since my periods have stopped I now suffer with monthly migraines that last 3 days - I would much rather have the periods back! Hope this ends soon! Going to give low carbs a try.
  • IrmaVermaat
    IrmaVermaat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Perimenopause started last year, when I was 45. My periods started to last for 3 weeks, and often I got the next period one week after. Doctor prescribed Primolut, which made the periods regular again, sort of. Once I skipped 3 months, now it's been 6 months already. My sweat smells differently and I'm having night sweats. At times my boobs seem to want to explode. Then there are the mood swings, the aggravated insomnia and my hair getting thinner. Me no liky!
  • mimiwalton
    mimiwalton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I have been in Perimenopause for about 6 years, I was believing I could never lose weight. I joined a Weight Loss Challenge group near home, started tracking food and exercise here on MFP and have lost 30 pounds and gained energy. I have just gone my 2nd time without a period for 10 months....maybe 3rd time is a charm?