Question about PCOS at 41

Options
Ok. I was diagnosed with PCOS as part of my fertility journey with a reproductive endocrinologist 5 years ago. I was put on the South Beach diet and 1500 mg metformin during pregnancy to prevent miscarriage. My doc took me off the meds following pregnancy. (And 2 cuties)

Strong family history of diabetes, and I was told that my relatively normal weight was the thing that was preventing diabetes. (Pre-diabetic for sure) I have read Dragonwolf's basics. Is there a 'go to' website that talks about symptoms and consequences ? I have my tubes tied, so no longer worried about fertility. I was under the impression that my job was 'to minimize sugar'. But I am starting to read about the complicated hormone imbalances here, and I am wondering if it might be fueling my insomnia or hair loss. (I had attributed them to having a 18 mo & 3 year old).

Following my 2nd pregnancy, I have had a more difficult time losing weight....and thought it was a 40+ issue. I had understood this to be a reproductive disease that was fueled by my genetically pre-destined blood sugar problems. (All 10 of my dad's 1st/2nd cousins was diagnosed with diabetes between 40-55). Sounds like it is time for a check up to learn more.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello! And welcome :)

When I was first diagnosed in 2004 (can't believe it's been that long!), I mostly read books by Colette Harris. She basically advocated for a Low Glycemic diet, which worked really well for me then. I was pretty happy with just eating "green light carbs" for the most part and avoiding added sugar. I also got a lot of information from the PCOS Nutrition Center ( http://www.pcosnutrition.com/index.php ). They *really* want you to buy their workbook, but I haven't. I just read the articles they post and adjust my diet according to research. They're why I stopped eating soy - too much conflicting evidence about it and estrogen so I just avoid it now.

Now I get the majority of my information from this forum - this is my "go to" website. The women posting are super helpful and have learned a lot through their own journeys. Dragonwolf's posts are especially helpful - as you seem to already know ;)

Hair loss *is* something women with PCOS can have to deal with - and is on the list of the symptoms. Hormone imbalances are also a huge part of PCOS and part of how I got diagnosed - my testosterone was very high. WebMD has a pretty easy to understand explanation of all this. http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview <--- this one talks about limiting saturated fats, however, a lot of women have success with a high fat low carb diet!

Hope some of that helps!!!! And good luck! Definitely get that check up!
  • Corinnecmcc
    Corinnecmcc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 62 and now post-menopause for 6 years, but am still affected by PCOS -- I struggle to lose weight and keep it off, I now sport a "beer belly" that I never had before menopause, I developed Type 2 diabetes and my hair continues to thin. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 30 and trying to get pregnant. At that time (about 1985), PCOS was largely considered a fertility problem and so once I had my kids, I thought it would not be an issue any longer. However, these days, the insulin-resistance aspect of this imbalance is given much more importance, because (as you are realizing) this aspect affects us throughout our lives. I think that you are on the right track with trying to stay slim and thinking about your diet. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 4 years ago, and was given dietary recommendations then which are easy to follow and might be something for you.

One of the main things the dietitian emphasized was to avoid processed starches/carbs -- no white bread, no white rice, no white pasta, no white sugar. As you probably know, these convert to sugar rapidly and flood your system, so make controlling blood sugar levels impossible. Also avoid saturated fats -- butter, whole milk, full fat cheese, beef, etc. Essentially, her guidelines are the Mediterranean Diet -- whole grains, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, olive oil and other vegetable oils, fish or chicken, and limited red meats. Counting carbs is important: 45-60 grams of carbs per meal, 15 grams per snack (2 each day), (about half of your daily calories) coming from complex carbs such as whole grain breads and pasta, brown rice, vegetables and fruits. The higher fiber from these foods is also important in controlling blood sugars. Eating in this way will help you avoid developing diabetes, which is important for you, with your family history. There is a lot on the internet about PCOS and diabetes, which are closely linked.

PCOS does affect us throughout our lives, I think. Talking with your doctor is probably a good idea, but I don't think doctors know much about this imbalance and they don't have much to offer once you are beyond fertility issues. The websites mentioned above are good resources as is a group like this one. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I HATE that reproductive endocrinologists often view this simply as a fertility problem. Yes, that's what they are there to help you with, but it is a full body, full system issue. Perhaps visiting an endocrinologist that has a thorough understanding of PCOS would benefit you?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Corinnecmcc Here's an article that I ran across today that might interest you in light of your current dietary plan for treating Type 2...

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/defending-a-carbohydrate-restricted-option-for-pcos-management
  • Corinnecmcc
    Corinnecmcc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thanks for sharing the link. I actually agree with much of what is in the article, but I can't stay on that restricted a diet. It is probably better advice for @clbstevenson, though. Primarily, I was trying to say that attention to diet and controlling carbs was important for her.

Personally, I go through periods of eliminating wheat and rice, but find I can't stick with it for more than a month or so. I have found that it is beneficial though. Maybe it's time to try it again!
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I definitely do the high fat (good fats like avocados, olives, and nuts) and low grain carb (very little rice and no bread) diet and it has been really successful for losing weight in the past and currently. I also limit potatoes and don't eat corn either. I do a lot of turkey breast, lamb, and the occasion pork roast for protein as well as black beans and whey protein. My percent carbs are set at 30% as well as my protein while I allow 40% of my diet to be fats. I know some places say to make the fats even higher, but this combo has worked well for me. Lost 23 lbs. since May 1st.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Corinnecmcc I find that the longer I go without foods, the less I miss them. By making fats the focus of my dietary plan, I don't miss wheat and have a bite of rice maybe once a month or so if I'm making it for my OH. There are so many awesome non-wheat substitutes these days. Golden flax meal, coconut flour, almond flour, etc.

Personally, berries are probably the worst things I miss, but I can have them occasionally without disrupting my eating... I just have to be careful HOW I eat them... LOL I have been tempted to go back and try an ear of corn, because I LOVED it, but things that used to be mainstays in my diet (chips and salsa, occasional candy, etc.) now taste like cardboard, paste, vinegar, straight sugar/syrup, or so nauseatingly chemically flavored, they are disgusting to me now!
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Corinnecmcc I find that the longer I go without foods, the less I miss them.

@KnitOrMiss Not only that, but I find I am more sensitive to them. My husband used 2-3 tbsp of honey when he made turkey taco meat last night. I noticed it immediately!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I would add some SweetLeaf Stevia or something, but not honey. But my preferred recipe adds 1 can of tomato sauce (unsweetened) to about 4 pounds of meat, so I generally don't need it unless I overdo another seasoning.

Btw, if you didn't know - they key to killing the "gamey" flavor to ground turkey is cooking it with garlic powder when you're browning it...