Scale Not Budging...

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
Im 2 weeks into my low carb... mostly meat and cheese, some lettuce.. lost about 8lbs.. which is nice, no complaints, but now the scale is stuck for about 4 days.. one day it was even up 2 lbs... just wondering if it's normal to have a good amount of water weight loss and then a stall? I remeber when I did this about a year ago, and I lost about 2 pants sizes in a month.. but I dont remember stalling so quickly.. and yes I KNOW its not a real stall, or plateau but I havent changed my diet, Im still sticking to it and am always 20 or under, some days 10g.. so I dont know whats going on.. did you lose inches still even having a stall?? anyone? :*(

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    RELAX!

Seriously, chill. In the grand scheme of things 4 days is nothing.

You've lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. That's AMAZING! Think of where you'll be in 2 months.....
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Agree with bluefish. I have been there. I finally went to weighing once a month for about eight months. Yes, it does get harder to lose the older you are, and hormones also play in, but so does stress, so worrying is counter productive. Just eat healthy low carb (LCHF is healthy to me) and the weight will follow eventually. I went through a six week stall and then lost five pounds in a week once! So... With my age and hashi's, I'm satisfied with a five pound loss a month. Which is pretty much what I get when in low carb. It's been higher lately but I think that because my endo finally got my Synthroid numbers right.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Yes. It happens to some people after the first couple weeks.
    4 days is not a stall. It's a pause. And the idiot-scale is going to do that. If you are on plan, it will quit farting around soon.
    Check out the link in the LaunchPad about the Scale being a Lying LiarPants.

I stall for about 4 weeks at a time. That's a real stall. And it sucks. But eventually, the scale catches up. It can be a bit thick sometimes.

• danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lost for the first month, then nothing. But I also wasn't tracking. So I went the next six weeks just maintaining. Which was great because I didn't gain even while on vacation. I have recently started tracking again and I am down two pounds in the last week. I really think that my body was healing in that time I was maintaining, and now it's ready to drop the weight.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The body loses weight in cycles quite often. 4 days is far too short a time to declare any kind of stall.

Some perspective -- my weight doesn't change for 3 weeks at a time. Every. Time.

No. It's not a stall. My weight loss cycle is just a month long. Weeks 1-3 see no change in the scale. Midway through week 4, I generally drop a pound, then the next day, I drop another 3-5. A day or two after that, it goes up by about a pound, where it sits for the next three and a half weeks.

My opinion? Ditch the scale if you're going to obsess over it so much. Have your SO or friend pull the batteries and hide it somewhere for the next month or three. Stick to the plan, then come back to the scale, after your body has had time to go through any one of its numerous biological cycles.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite. I weigh in everyday and write it down every single day. I do it to desensitise me to the weight fluctuations and as long as over the course of the month I see a general downward trend, I'm all good.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs my first two weeks, then saw 5 of those lbs come back, go away, come back, go away, etc for the next two. Then, the scale just started going down. In two weeks since I've dropped 7 more. Your body likely just needs time to adjust. :)

I ditto ditching the scale too. Even when it wasn't going down, I noticed my clothes getting looser. The scale lies!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Scales are a-holes. I weigh daily, but I have a love for trend lines(biology major) and treat my body like my lab. Ditch it for awhile, then come back to it. Put the thing in a closet somewhere, with off season clothes in storage, whatever. Hormones and everything else play a role, they are also stupid and annoying.
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nothing new to add except for you to MEASURE YOUR BODY. The scale is not accurate if your aim is to lose stored fat. You should measure every 2 weeks and notice in your clothes.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    The body loses weight in cycles quite often. 4 days is far too short a time to declare any kind of stall.

Some perspective -- my weight doesn't change for 3 weeks at a time. Every. Time.

No. It's not a stall. My weight loss cycle is just a month long. Weeks 1-3 see no change in the scale. Midway through week 4, I generally drop a pound, then the next day, I drop another 3-5. A day or two after that, it goes up by about a pound, where it sits for the next three and a half weeks.

My opinion? Ditch the scale if you're going to obsess over it so much. Have your SO or friend pull the batteries and hide it somewhere for the next month or three. Stick to the plan, then come back to the scale, after your body has had time to go through any one of its numerous biological cycles.

Or buy this. https://voluptuart.com/yay-scaletrade-yay-you-yay-scale-silver-p-998.html if you can find them in stock. They are always sold out. I'm considering making my own.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

@Dragonwolf It's a huge relief to hear that this is your experience! I just started Week 7 and down about 12 lbs overall, but stalled for the past 3 weeks..., and seems like this happened to me in the last 4 week cycle. I hope to god my weight drops this week too!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The up and down is totally normal. I'm currently up 1.5lbs after one of my best weeks so far. It's happened on a regular basis for me. It will come back off in a few days along with a little extra weight too.
    Definitely don't let it get to you. Some people on here have even said they don't lose much at all, but see significant difference in size and clothes fitting.
    Don't worry too much about the numbers.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lost weight quickly at first, but then for the entire month of July I lost nothing, and in fact gained. But, at the same time I was experiencing all the hormonal changes that come with menstruation (I haven't had a cycle in 3 years). Obviously my body needed to work on healing something in my endocrine system. I get frustrated at the scale, but I am trying to be patient. I did not gain the weight in 3 months, I won't lose it in 3 months.

PS I get the frustration because weight is one of those things the doctors look at, too. If I go into my dr and haven't lost any pounds since last time, I feel like he will wonder why I continue to eat this way. I WANT RESULTS I CAN PROVE! After all, he doesn't take my measurements, lol!
    I HOPE my blood tests will have SOMETHING to show. :smile:
    Also, when friends and family ask, I would like to be able to say I lost such and such amount of weight, too. It's what people understand.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8 pounds in 2 weeks Awesome. I think 4 pounds a week is on the high end, unless you have a lot to lose.
    This is what 11 lbs looks like over 2.5 months. This might be called stall city, However, I prefer slow and steady. I'm grooving the trend and I'm not "dieting". Yes, more noticeable in clothing than the scale. Let the process happen, You are doing great! fgi2edxxz0vj.jpg
  • karirenae
    karirenae Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Definately more motivating than the damn scale today. :) I was hoping that it was a little more common to lose inches vs weight on LC..
  • nater412
    nater412 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your body is just re-adjusting.
    I go through my cycle. Of every month I can expect Day 6, lose 2 lbs and inches, day 13, no weight lose and no inches, day 20, no weight lose or inches, then day 27, I lose 5 to 7 lbs and 10 inches. Just the cycle of my body and it's way to adjust and lose the water and adjust the hormones.
    It took a few months to see the pattern and to move past the frustration. But keep eating healthy and you will get there.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, showing the chart is a good idea. This is from the last 6 months or so (180 days), starting just before I actually found something that prompted my weight to finally go in the downward direction (mid-March was that tipping point).

ei7qddjq2yym.png
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    yup, ditch the scale. Every day? It's an obsession. Stop! 3,000 calories to lose a pound. Can't do that in a 24 hour period. PERIOD.

I have lost 10 lbs since January. Yes, just 10 but it is under the 200 mark that I hadn't seen in 20 years. I try now to weigh once a week. Last 2? No change. But I am not discouraged. If it worked to get 10 lbs off, it will work to get the rest.

I also exercise. Every once and awhile, I need to come back here, track my food and make sure I am not straying from the path.
  • heidimmto
    heidimmto Posts: 52 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I really don't know what to do to start losing again. I've already lost 72 pounds doing Keto, but the scale hasn't budged for a while now. The only main difference now that I got back to my country is that I don't consume as much fat as I did when I was in the US and began this WOE. I keep doing up/down the same 2 pounds for months now. Losing hair like crazy, too. I am making a more conscious effort to make sure i get my proteins in. As Dr Phinney said, we need to allow our body the opportunity to burn its own fat stores, and than cannot be achieved with excess dietary fat. That's one of the reasons I diminish my fat intake, sometimes not even reaching my supposed 100 grms a day. Am I wrong? Am I sabotaging myself?. I still want to lose like 30 more pounds. My SW was 242 and I am 170 now, 5'0, lighty active (teacher, little exercise). Help me understand please.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    ei7qddjq2yym.png

PERFECT visual.