Walking Poles

Options
suvmom03103
suvmom03103 Posts: 18 Member
I posted this on my own page, but I figured I would get more response asking the group...

I have been thinking about purchasing a set of walking poles.

Anyone have any thoughts to brand or styles that are better. I have bursitis in both of my shoulders.

My balance isn't the best, so I was thinking that they would help me feel more comfortable when walking on trails. There are some great walking trails near me that would be a great place to start. They are pretty flat for the most part.

Any thoughts?

Thank you =)

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them. I can see that they will help with your balance. Be interested to see how u get on
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them. I can see that they will help with your balance. Be interested to see how u get on
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of trekking poles last fall. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to use them but did find them helpful for hikes in the snow last winter.

They are recommended when hiking with a back pack to provide an extra measure of stability. They are also good for rough and uneven surfaces. I hit 60 years this spring and in recent years have had some stumbles where I nearly fell and could have been injured. I am not as flexible and stable as when I was younger. I figure trekking poles will help to prevent falls.

I bought mine at a Cabelas store. I bought some in a mid price range, I think around $100. I would never waste my money or risk injury by buying cheap ones. I like the type with lever locks, not the twist lock type.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I got my wife a set of Black Diamond poles last winter. They are made for ladies , adjustable ,lightweight and not too $$. They really make her more stable on the trail. She wouldn't be without them.
    For myself I just cut a Red Oak sapling the right size and let it dry out. But then , I'm from the olden days and all. (((;
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard both positive and negatives about walking poles. What does your dr recommend?