Struggles

Options
ewoksrule3
ewoksrule3 Posts: 230 Member
Hi all - so I hurt my knee a little over a week ago...right after a week of eating out more. I have been feeling very discouraged and frustrated, because I was doing so well with my workouts, and all of a sudden I have pain almost no matter what I do. I modified my workouts as needed to avoid pain, and actually only skipped one workout for the week. I'm proud that I was able to modify and still exercise, but felt like I wasn't doing much because I had to change and make so many things different to be easier on my knee. But the eating is where I'm really struggling. I had been trying for a 1000 calorie deficit every day, but I am so much less active in general with the knee pain that my daily burn is less, and I have been craving food like crazy. I find myself just wanting to eat all the time, and constantly thinking about the next thing I can eat, and I have compromised to a 500 calorie deficit most days, with some days no deficit at all. Basically, I feel like I'm getting back into a pattern of eating more than I should, and it's hard to offset or stave off the hunger with activity, because activity is painful. I have struggled with binging for years now, and have actually been doing very well over the last couple of months....but I'm scared that this injury is bringing me teetering close to the edge of a downward slide, and I DO NOT want that! Any encouragement or suggestions would be very welcome!

Replies

• jjacks1986
    jjacks1986 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    a 1000 kcal deficit is mega!!!! :o what is your daily calorie goal if you don't mind me asking? I myself have been struggling with bi ging for a while and found that only eating properly (currently 2000 kcal/day) helps! your body needs energy to heal which is maybe why you have been so hungry all the time since the injury! possibly up your protein intake which will help to fill you up and try to stick to complex carbs....and make sure you always always always have a healthy snack handy (even if it's just a couple of nuts or a banana or some cerly or carrot stick)
    These are this that I have found to help me...
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    Normally if I'm able to be a bit active throughout the day and get my workouts in, I can still accomplish the 1000 calorie deficit by eating around 1700 calories a day. I have been struggling to keep my eating around 2000 calories a day with my injury, and have been burning less through daily activity, so to reach the 1000 calorie deficit with the injury I'd have to eat around 1500 calories (which I haven't been doing). I use a Fitbit Charge HR that tells me what I burn during the day - I'm sure it's not perfect, but it has seemed to be fairly accurate with the amount of weight loss I've seen. I have lost up to 25 pounds in the past, and then something derailed me and I ended up gaining it all back, plus more. I REALLY don't want that to happen this time, and the pattern of eating more over the past week and still wanting more food is scaring me. I know I should be in control of what I do to and with my body, but I have been out of control for so many years that it scares me to see that I'm stepping back in that direction. I need to STOP, but it's hard when you are frustrated and discouraged and just wanting more food!
  • jjacks1986
    jjacks1986 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't stress yourself out too much as that probably hightens your anxiety and that, in turn, can be a trigger to eat. just make sure you have plenty of healthy food around to munch on...and plenty to drink (have you tried fruit infused waters?) quark with a bit of peanut butter as a dip is wonderful with apples or bananas for a sweet snack or roasted spicy chickpeas if you are more the savoury type :) you have all the tools you need :) use them and you can do this! you could also try swimming as an alternative exercise? its super gentle on joints but still a great calorie burner!
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am super impressed that you have managed to get past your injured knee and still work out instead of using it as an excuse(as I most likely would have done). As for the binging, which I also sometimes do, I think it is most triggered when I am very stressed or frustrated or depriving myself. Even though your calorie intake sounds healthy, it is still 1000 less than what your body needs, so maybe it feels deprived. When I try to be very hard on myself, it actually turns into a free for all day. I am not saying that's the same for you, but just keep it in mind. Also, perhaps your body needs more energy because it's healing. You say you've been eating at 500 cal deficit(which is still great, by the way) or at maintenance, and that is completely OK. You will soon be able to return to your regular pattern. The fact you are still working out with a bad knee shows that you can do this!
  • MrsPryority
    MrsPryority Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Everything above and focus on the positives of what you've already accomplished and use some of your "free time" when you can be active to visualize your goal. Do you have any pictures you can look at to help you either, see where you were, or what your progress is so far?
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I had a sprained ankle this year in May and it healed in 2 months. Yesterday I did an intense class without my brace and hurt my ankle again lol. I didn't quit I kept going but did it a little easier so it wouldn't mess it up.

Eating that many calories is tough. Do you eat more than 3 meals a day? It helps if you eat 5-6 small meals every 2 to 3 hours to keep your body satisfied. I don't do it but I need to. Are you wearing a brace on your knee?
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    I have some before pictures, but I don't feel like I look any different having lost 17 pounds. :-/ I typically eat 3 meals and one or two snacks a day...ironically, I tend to feel less hungry if I eat bigger meals rather than a small meal and a snack later. Maybe I'll get used to the smaller amounts over time, though. I haven't been wearing a brace, because when I put one on last week it hurt more...felt like it squished together stuff that was already swollen and just made it more painful. Now that the inflammation has gone down a bit, it might be worth trying the brace again, at least while I exercise.
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    thanks for all the support and encouragement, guys. :) I know we all have times where things are tougher than normal, I'm just trying to make sure this time doesn't completely derail me like it would have in the past!
  • muffin1848
    muffin1848 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle a few months ago, so I feel you! I had just joined the gym, so was feeling pretty good until that happened. My trainer Sam helped me with very modified workouts to avoid injuring my ankle again. Now I ask " when can I play "chase Sam" so I can run? she is cross trained in several different workout and ranges so it really helped.
  • muffin1848
    muffin1848 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    .. As for the " overeating". I'm having trouble with night snacking while watching tv.
    Since I'm diabetic it raises my sugar. Any suggestions?
  • WicklowWanderer
    WicklowWanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my best not to snack at night and would be succeeding for the most part. I've dinner between 530 and 630pm and when I find that I get the impulse to snack later on, I try to analyse it to see where the impulse is coming from, to determine if I'm really hungry or if its something else. Was it a light dinner low on carbs? Was I particularly active that day? Am I bored? Did something upset me? Am I possibly just thirsty! I try for the last option, a huge glass of water with a splash of apple cider vinegar and a spoonful of honey. 9 times out of 10, it does the trick- fills the belly and satisfies me for something flavoursome and a little sweet.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't know if this will help at all, but here's a strategy you could apply if you think it might:

--Plan your meals for the day ahead of time. Tell yourself that you WILL stick to that plan.
    --Next, plan a snacking sequence. It would go something like this:

I want to snack. What do I do?

First, I must have a glass of water.
    Still hungry?
    I may have some celery (or pick some other food that is filling, VERY low calorie, and good for you)
    Still hungry?
    Have another glass of water (or an unsugared cup of tea/coffee/etc.)
    Still hungry?
    I may eat an apple. (or some other low-glycemic fruit)
    Still hungry?
    Have a glass of water.
    Still hungry?
    I may have a cup of plain Greek yogurt sweetened with Truvia.
    Still hungry?
    Have a glass of water.

And so on. Come up with your own list of "permitted" foods that you know will fill you up and not blow your calorie allotment.

Good luck!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help at all, but here's a strategy you could apply if you think it might:

--Plan your meals for the day ahead of time. Tell yourself that you WILL stick to that plan.
    --Next, plan a snacking sequence. It would go something like this:

I want to snack. What do I do?

First, I must have a glass of water.
    Still hungry?
    I may have some celery (or pick some other food that is filling, VERY low calorie, and good for you)
    Still hungry?
    Have another glass of water (or an unsugared cup of tea/coffee/etc.)
    Still hungry?
    I may eat an apple. (or some other low-glycemic fruit)
    Still hungry?
    Have a glass of water.
    Still hungry?
    I may have a cup of plain Greek yogurt sweetened with Truvia.
    Still hungry?
    Have a glass of water.

And so on. Come up with your own list of "permitted" foods that you know will fill you up and not blow your calorie allotment.

Good luck!

That is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing it. I get the munchies mid afternoon. I am not really hungry but that doesn't always stop me from eating. Your strategy is sounds like it could work to get through munchie cravings.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm really impressed you didn't use your bad knee as an excuse to not exercise. Some exercise is better than none so, while you're injured, don't set the bar too high. Just do the modified version.

There are ups and downs on this journey. This is a tough time. If you can just maintain till you get healed. I'd consider that a huge win and a big sign that you are developing the long term habits needed to keep the weight off.
  • ATHLegal
    ATHLegal Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I had 4 sushis for lunch with total cal of 695. Really disappointed but moving on from it.
  • ewoksrule3
    Options
    Thanks, fiddletime. It is frustrating to me that I had been doing so well, and that I feel like I'm stalling out because of my injury, but you're right - 6 months ago if I had hurt my knee, I wouldn't even be trying right now! Even though I can't do as much or do it the way I'd like to, I know it is a huge accomplishment for me to still be trying. Thank you for helping me see that more clearly. :)

Tatho - don't beat yourself up, 695 calories really isn't that bad for eating out at lunch! I'm happy if I stay below 800 calories if I go out to eat. As long as you don't do it all the time, it's not the end of the world, just log it and maybe exercise a bit more today.
  • ATHLegal
    ATHLegal Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks ewoksrule3. Really thoughtful of a reply