AUGUST Challenge

Options

Replies

• wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    However, I still need to check out the Gym in the hospital as well!
  • Sandie4health
    Sandie4health Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's nice to be welcomed -- I very much appreciate it. So far I like working with MyFitnessPal. It's so easy to log food/water/exercise. That makes me more likely to actually do it. I was also glad to find the Kindle app; that means I can log food/water/exercise without having to be at my computer, making it even easier. Loving it! Looking forward to seeing you here -- I wish you all the best with all your goals.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't have classes: it's equipment-only.
    It does provide personal trainers--which are extra. That's why I signed up for the One Free Session.

Check your health insurance information online (or call) and see if yours is affiliated with Silver Sneakers.

Here's what I found out:
    You actually sign up for Silver Sneakers through your insurance.
    Request a SS card; it comes in the mail (or you can print it out online, at least I had that choice)
    THEN go to the gym and show them your Silver Sneakers card and ask to sign up thru that program.
    You don't sign up for SS through the gym. The gym fills out paperwork to "sign you up" as a SS member.

Like so many other things for People of Our Age, this is something that is not very clearly explained. Anywhere.

It's nice to "meet" you, Sandie!
    MFP's food logging feature has been very useful to help me really see my eating habits--good AND bad.
    and it's mind boggling how one little "cheat" here and there can add up.

Wishing you success and joy!
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good Eveneing Everyone! I am working tonite untill 3 am, I need to let them know that I do not handle these hours as well as I did with I was younger.

Did well today, had my food planned for today and was off a bit but stayed with my tracking, was able to take a quick 30 minute walk before starting work at 3 pm. However I'm running my butt of in here. I am going to make it a priority to purchase that "fit band" ASAP.
    SO HAPPY I LOST SOME WEIGHT Now on to the challenge of continuing a "downhill" slide ; )
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    @Sandie4health Welcome to a great group!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,097 Member
    Options
    Hello all -
    I'm back to mfp after a long break - I have been at goal (more or less!) for over a year and lately have been letting things slip (too many glasses of wine, too much sitting, general laziness!). So in August (the rest of it), I have two goals:

no alcohol
    my shower rule goes back into effect (no shower without sweat! shower every 6 days a week!)

I look forward to getting to know you all - and to sharing our hard work that makes us feel great.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    howdy. remember me? :blush:

I'm going to add in my August goal here... now don't laugh! My goal is going to be to really show up.
    That will (hopefully) include getting back to logging food better, but first I have to just show up - can't get any work done otherwise

hello to all the new members - and gosh it's great to see my buddies here!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Question I can't find an answer to. And you gals have trainers to ask . ;-) How many minutes per weight training session are suggested to maintain/rebuild muscle? I knew what to do at 30, but now....
    My limit is 10 pounds total to lift. I use machines (bowflex) to increase resistances so I don't mess up my insides.
    Thank you in advance.
    Going to be watching out for you sweet Marilyn. Especially while we're on our two week road trip.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Oh. I met my goals this week \°/
    Please will ya'll help me stay on track during the trip.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Hello all -
    I'm back to mfp after a long break - I have been at goal (more or less!) for over a year and lately have been letting things slip (too many glasses of wine, too much sitting, general laziness!). So in August (the rest of it), I have two goals:

no alcohol
    my shower rule goes back into effect (no shower without sweat! shower every 6 days a week!)

I look forward to getting to know you all - and to sharing our hard work that makes us feel great.

jugar, your a better woman that me if no wine for the rest of the month. And such an original challenge with the showering. Welcome back.
  • retirehappy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sharondtd wrote: »
    Question I can't find an answer to. And you gals have trainers to ask . ;-) How many minutes per weight training session are suggested to maintain/rebuild muscle? I knew what to do at 30, but now....
    My limit is 10 pounds total to lift. I use machines (bowflex) to increase resistances so I don't mess up my insides.
    Thank you in advance.
    Going to be watching out for you sweet Marilyn. Especially while we're on our two week road trip.

Sharon, I've never known a trainer to say how many mins. it is sets and reps. How long that is depends on your exercises, how long you have to pause between sets, etc. I have a full body work out, all parts of the body are worked out, takes me about an hour to complete my machine work, that is 3 sets of 8 or 12 reps depending on muscles being used, AND having to wait for machines sometimes as well as reset the seat, weights etc on the machines, and wiping the machine down after using it, & logging the sets on my training sheet, so lots of extra time with "housekeeping" chores instead of actually working out. So probably 25-30 mins. doing actual exercises on the machines

The fitness center machines have auto timers, once you finish your reps for a set, they start counting up to two mins. My trainer told me a minimum of 10 sec. up to whatever I feel I need to take, longest is 20 secs usually.

General rule for maintenance of muscle is high reps, lower weights. To build muscle you pretty much need to do low reps, high weights, to muscle failure. You should barely be able to make it through the last rep in good form. At my fitness center they start you out for the first couple of weeks at 2 sets. Then you can up to 3, if you are trying to build you can go up from there but 3 sets at right reps and weights will maintain just fine.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Thank you. Not allowed more than 10 pounds to lift, so glad we got the Bowflex set up.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Sharon, Perfect for keeping muscle, you can do many sets of many reps without going up even an oz. over 10 lbs. :)

Not sure what model you have but this search came up with a number of manuals that should have some good exercises. Just don't add on weight, stay at the 10 lb. If you can't do 10 lb. at first working your way up there will give you some newbie gains, as the body builders call it, a good thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bowflex+exercises+for+muscle+maintance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=bowflex+exercise+manual
  • Sandie4health
    Sandie4health Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all the additional "welcomes"! I'm really glad to be here. I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts, learning about challenges others have that are similar to mine -- and those that are different. Keeping on track is one of the most difficult things, whether it be with food, exercise, water, logging, etc. Yesterday presented a particular challenge to me because I went to our local Renaissance Faire and dinner with some family members and ate way too much. My challenge became to log or not to log. Well, I decided to look myself right in the eye and take ownership of my food choices from yesterday and went ahead and logged. It wasn't pretty!

I'm glad I did, though. Now I have more insight into how all the small choices add up during a day, even if it's just a taste of this or a bite of that. Today I'm back on track, having left yesterday behind after learning what I could from it. I especially got my eyes opened by the message I got when I completed my food logging from yesterday. You know, the one that tells you, "If every day was like today you'd weigh....by....." . Phew! That REALLY opened my eyes. It's a fantastic feature.

Hope everyone is having a successful Sunday!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about how important it is to be honest and unflinching in our logs, Sandie. Sometimes it hurts, but we learn way better that way. I stayed within my calories yesterday but finished the day with some ice cream. Gave me heartburn during the night - ugh. Luckily it is GONE and there is none to be coming into the house - it is the one thing I cannot resist.

So far my challenges are going well. I have not had any alcohol and have been doing some killer workouts to earn those showers. Yesterday I am not sure who was sweatier - me or my horse - but today it is back to my kettlebells and TRX.

If anyone is looking for a good online source for workouts, check out Greg Brookes. His site has a lot of information, and his weekly emails give free routines and links to videos. The exercises are well explained, it's easy to figure out what is safe in what order, and he is fun to watch. Sure he tries to sell you his books, but there is a lot of free stuff.

have a great day!
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Yes, log honestly. It helps so much in the long run to help in spotting triggers.
    Thank you all for the tips.
    I've created Skimble workouts to mimic the routines and can increase resistance that doesn't involve "lifting." Also built one that times the physical therapy for the ankle.Ouchy instep today, and don't know if I'm supposed to have a rest day for the PT.
    Sharon
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    As of today, I've lost 14 lbs since mid-May.
    I've been logging and working on it since late January but I kept gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs for 5 months.

It's not a lot to shout about but at last the trend is going the right direction.

I'm having blood-sugar/medication related issues which are very annoying but that's life; for now I'm accentuating the positive.

Enjoy the day!

• retirehappy
    Options
    jugar, since DH bought and installed a TRX system, it might be time for me to learn to use it properly. I have only played with it a bit last winter, I think it is good for indoors workouts in the winter. Guess I will need to make an appt. with the TRX certified trainer at the fitness center sometime soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Cris, glad you're trending downwards. Hope the numbers get under control soon.

Sharon, always prepared, you ROCK.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I started a fresh challenge thread since it is almost mid month please post over there now.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10232164/august-challenge-mid-month-results?new=1
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow - August is almost half gone but I am going to challenge myself to do 150 minutes of exercise a week and to eat at or below my calories. I have been half attempting these goal for the last 3 months- it's time to really mean them- better late than never - I hope!