Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bucket List

carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
Is there anything you want to do, that because of being overweight or morbidly obese, you have not been able to do?? Share your ideas here. I have a list of 16 things I'd like to do.

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Hmmmm. Good question!

1) Willingly be in pictures with my children. I have been hiding from the camera for so long that I have virtually no pictures of myself with my children. It's sad to think about.
    2) Shop from the non plus-size side of stores.
    3) Run a 5K without stopping.
    4) Join the local pool.
    5) Feel comfortable in my own skin.

I guess that is what I have for now.

In addition, I'll add that much of the reason I'm doing this is because I want to be around for my children. I want to be there when they get their licenses, dance at their weddings, and hold my grandchildren. I want to be healthy enough to travel when I retire and to finally do those things that working full-time and parenting leave me too tired to do (photography, gardening, etc).
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    I've got a few things I intend to do.

1. Horseback riding. I love horses and while I'm at a weight I can ride one safely right now, I'd just feel bad for the poor horse. But 35 lbs from now..... Coworker is going to to take me out on the beach trails :)
    2. Shop in the normal section for sure
    3. Feel comfortable on amusement park rides and airline seats. I'm fine now, not obese enough that I need an extender or can't ride, I'm just not comfortable. I'd like to get on a plane and have the person sitting next to me not have that look.
    4. Pictures definitely. I avoid them like the plague
    5. Go to the water park next summer and not feel like I'm a whale. I haven't been in over a decade.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I'd love to start riding my bikes again. I have 4, one for every type of riding I used to do.
    #1 Favorite bike, I share it with my sweetie, a tandem, we've done tons of cool rides on it.
    #2 My Litespeed, it's a custom built road bike, built for comfort not speed, great for club rides.
    #3 A vintage Peugeot, an around town bullet-proof beater.
    #4 An old Trek hybrid that I love to mindlessly ride on our local towpath.

Only a few more pounds and I'm on the Peugeot again.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Feel more comfortable in a swimsuit.

Have less pain (knees and hips) so I can do more - I miss sports
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    I'll play, just because.

1. Buy jeans at Costco
    2. No extender
    3. No more custom dry suit for scuba diving

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I have one thing, but I still can't talk about it. LOL. It's the same thing I mentioned before, and it's something that's still in process. It very well may never happen. I don't want to admit to wanting it, in case I fail. A little sad. I know. But, it's something I've always wanted to do, since I was a little boy. My weight, lack of physical fitness, and generally mediocre health prevented it from happening. If it happens, I'll add it here. I am willing to bet that it's not something anyone else has on their list.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Joggling. I can jog. I can juggle. But I can't joggle. Yet. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,069 Member
    Hhhhmmmm.....I want to say parachuting from an airplane, but I really mean just to have the courage and confidence to try exciting new physical challenges.....which might turn out to be quite ordinary events, but to me they will be exciting ! I have been self conscious of my size for most of my life, and this has prevented me from placing myself in any situation that might draw attention to myself.

Here's what I want to do :smile:

-Jog and then run instead of walking. Want to run a half marathon one day.
    -Wear a bikini !
    -Feel comfortable wearing anything, instead of choosing clothes that best hide the fat.
    -Date finally, after being in hiding for too long !
    -Chop the wood sitting in my backyard.
    -Try to ride a bike again.
    -Get fitter the older I get.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Oh, I love reading these!!

I have a list of clothing items I want to buy, and top of the list is a Diane Von Furstenburg wrap dress.

I want to wear a bikini! Never been able to do that before.

I'm getting a couple of tattoos on my back. I have two currently, one on each ankle, because that's the only place on my body besides my wrists that doesn't have any fat.

And last, I want to go to Costa Rica! There's an adventure trip offered by REI that I am dying to do, but only after I'm thinner and fitter. I hope that by this time next year I'll be ready to book it.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I really want to look good in coveralls. :/ I wear them for work and they're not the most forgiving garment ever.

I want to feel HOT damnit, not just pretty.

I want to wear skinny jeans.

I want to go on an all day hike without thinking about it.

I want to fit in in a yoga class. I know this is vain, but I want to look like I DO yoga, instead of just showing up for a class once in awhile.

I want to buy clothes in sizes that are single digit.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Have really good sex!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Being around people and not thinking about how fat I am.

Going for a walk and not struggling or having to stop and just stand there until I can move again or sit until I could get up and go some more.

Shopping for gorgeous skinny clothes not fugly clown suits which practically is all that's sold in plus sizes

So many more!
  • carimiller7391
    Excellent list ladies and gents!!! I didn't think about horseback riding, but I'm stealing it and adding to my list also. LOL
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Hmmm....

1. Not be the fattest person in the room most of the time
    2. Ride a roller coaster again
    3. Shop in the non plus section
    4. Buy bras at a regular store (couldn't do that when I was thin, but things have changed a lot since then)
    5. Eat on the street without someone staring at me.
    6. Not worry someone will freak out about sitting next to me on an airplane.
    7. Get the tray table all the way down on an airplane without having to hold it down.
    8. Not feel like a Weeble when I walk!

There must be more, but those are the main things :)
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member

I have a list of clothing items I want to buy, and top of the list is a Diane Von Furstenburg wrap dress.

And the there is THIS! I have a bunch or cheap knock-offs from Ross.... But I want a real one, with a collar!!!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,069 Member
    Ok, I'm feeling friskier now. Add to my list a ride on a motorcycle, and sex !
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    1) look really good without a shirt on.
    2) complete an Olympic length triathlon
    3) be so damn sexy my wife can't help but want to put her hands on me.
    4) to be skinny long enough so when my kids close their eyes and think of daddy, he is "fit daddy".
    5) become a public speaker on how to change your life after doing the same thing for 20 plus years.
    6) get an upper level postition at a company. Weight does matter.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    If I'm honest and really accept reality as it is now.

I'm living it finally.

The 2 years have paid off and it is nice to be living that life I watched others live

I'm the guy that got up and rode 30 miles at sunrise to train for a triathlon. Ha.... I never ever imagined that would be me.

This whole diet thing works. It really does if you stick to the plan, do the low carb thing consistently and exercise.

Today is a day I reflect back with a degree of gratitude on those that helped over the last 2 years

Maybe it should be on my bucket list to help others as I was helped. That really is the best thing I could do for anyone.

• carimiller7391
    @kittensmaster... giving back would be awesome.
    @parkdad73.. public speaking is great, upper level position awesome, but fit dad takes it in my book!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited August 2015
    Great thread! I find it interesting on how some of the things mentioned are things we stop ourselves from doing, based on fear of others reactions to us... For instance, I wouldn't wear a bathing suit to the beach right now, but I don't know that I'd wear one when I hit goal weight, anyways!

-I want to fly comfortably in business/ regular class again.

-Find clothes locally that fit comfortably. In my relatively small town, there are a total of about 10 plus-size racks of woman's clothing, and about 15 racks of men's clothes that might fit.

Other things that I want to do are more limited by an autoimmune disease I have that causes weakness and can cause breathing problems/ respiratory failure. So I don't have control over it, but might be able to minimize symptoms by avoiding foods that trigger systemic inflammation, and by losing weight so my muscles don't have to work as hard to move my body...

-I want to be able to go backpacking again. I'm able to hike about a mile or two on a really good day now, but its without a pack and I need to use two hiking poles as canes. I have a good friend who will camp at a hike-in site and make two trips, one carrying her bag and one carrying mine. I greatly appreciate this, because her generosity gives me a chance to get back out into nature, but I'd like to be able go for multi-day hikes without the fear of landing in the hospital on a ventilator as a result. Wishful thinking, I know!

-I'd like to get back to swimming for fitness.
    -I'd like to do a team triathlon again, that was fun!