And here I go!

Options
martabeerich
martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
I'm new to this group. I'm looking forward to joining this community and know how important a support system is. My weight loss journey has been long and has had great ups and downs. I'm 54 y/o. My highest weight was 400, and I managed to lose 220 pounds on my own over 10 years. Then it started coming back. Three years, 60 pounds up (+15 pounds last Christmas alone when I was trying to be so good!). That is when I decided I needed something to help me lose all the weigh AND help me keep it off. And so - Monday is my surgery (2 days!!!). Here I go!

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What surgery are you having?
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • martabeerich
    Options
    I'm having the sleeve. Afterwards I'll be eating plant based/pescatarian. (Eventually...)
  • ThinGwen
    Options
    Marta, I'm a pescatarian, too. I was vegetarian/vegan for 15 years, and started eating some fish 10 years ago, when I was pregnant with my first kid.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Marta - welcome! It took me several years to accept that my seeming inability to lose weight wasn't some form of character flaw; WLS is a tremendous tool that has turned my health around. I'd do it a thousand times over.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Marta - best of luck with your surgery. I'm a couple months away (due to insurance requirements). I to have struggled with weight since I was a child. We all need support with this life changing surgery. Feel free to friend me. I will always offer encouragement!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I will be sending positive thoughts your way for an uneventful surgery and recovery. Best of luck!
  • deedeetris
    deedeetris Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your surgery!! You will love it--I'm only a few weeks out and I can't believe how happy I am with my decision--best choice I've made in a long time!! Dee
  • mskimpel
    mskimpel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I start my clear liquid diet tomorrow and then surgery August 13 . I can't wait to get to the other side !
  • 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Weight has been a life long struggle for me as well. I'm 3 weeks post op and I'm so happy to be working toward my healthiest self. Congratulations on the upcoming surgery and remember we are here for support. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • martabeerich
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    I'm excited/nervous! (And those 2 weeks of nothing but protein shakes have nearly brought me to my knees. Surgery can't happen soon enough!) :#
  • martabeerich
    Options
    I'm checking back here the first time since my surgery 6 days ago. I had anesthesia and low blood pressure complications that led me to an extra day in the hospital. I was pumped with enough fluids that they allowed me to go home. I've been suffering from nausea, heartburn, and hypersensitivity to smells. But since I'm a bit better every day, I'm working hard to be positive. I'm really lucky I have such a supportive husband!
  • ThinGwen
    Options
    Hi Marta! Glad you are doing better. You'll be up and going in no time. I'm about 5 days ahead of you - my gastric sleeve was on August 3. Are you on anything for the heartburn? My doctor puts everyone on heartburn meds, plus allows us to take Gas-x.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hang in there and follow your plan, it gets better every day. Get plenty of rest, fluids and walk...everything else will come in time.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I'm glad you're getting better. Take care.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hoping you get to feeling better soon!
  • martabeerich
    Options
    One week out and SO MUCH BETTER! For sure I need to start using gas-x. I'm burping all the time. The nausea and heartburn are pretty much gone. I am 8 pounds UP from day of surgery, but I know this is because of the amount of fluids they pumped in me and removing me from the BP meds (diuretics). I am surprisingly not really concerned about that. Right now, if I never see another protein drink it will be too soon. Unfortunately, I not much choice for the next week. I'm having a lot of savory food fantasies. Oh for some hummus!