How to get started

Options
kcrozell
kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
Okay, I know carbs are my weaknesses, and I know when I cut them down or out, I feel better and am able to lose weight. My question is, how do I get started on this plan? How do I figure out how many carbs I should eat a day? How many calories? Etc. Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    There are lots of calculators available online to help you out. Google "Keto macro calculator" and I'm sure you'll find one (assuming you're going for keto/VLCHF. You will need to figure out what works best for you in terms of macros through trial and error, but I think a good place to start would be 5-10% carbs, 65-70% fat, and 20-30% protein.

Personally, I'm set to 5/65/30. I have my calorie count set to MFP's default for weight loss (1200/day for me), but I do eat back my exercise calories, and generally average around 1500 cal/day consumed. I don't actually pay much attention to my calories, as long as my macros are in line...

Hope this helps!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Binge research - Steve Phinney, Jeff Volek, Gary Taubes, Jim my Moore.

Knowledge is power.

Reading is good, but there are plenty of YouTube talks.

Find what works for you - but beware. I didn't become morbidly obese because I have a healthy relationship with food. To get where I need to be is not a quick or easy thing.

I have to FIGHT for a long term perspective.

I have to go 20 total carbs or less, none of this 'net carbs' nonsense (for me). You might be different.

Know / learn your triggers and avoid them like the plague. You can 'wander in' to obesity and Type 2 diabetes, but you can't 'wander out'.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    You can 'wander in' to obesity and Type 2 diabetes, but you can't 'wander out'.

How true, how true...
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm really just starting out and I'm sticking to 50-100 carbs. I am feeling a lot better and it gives me a little leeway. I'm planning on monitoring for a few weeks to see how much weight I lose then I can start stepping down my carbs.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I messed around with weight loss for a while. Started and half did a few diets and did no good

I had a person crisis of identity. I do not want to be this fat guy! And I had a friend a few years younger but also fat, had a heart attack!!

So I researched and landed on low carb

I just want at it like tnwas gonna save my life

No half stepping.

I got active and read up on exercise and health.

Low Carb makes sense and works.

Just go all in!

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, I eat.
    I don't exercise, I live.
    In mathematical terms, if I plot the length of my life on the x-axis and quality of life on the y-axis. I want to integrate my life so as to maximize the area under the curve.
    Restricting carbs and becoming more active contribute to that maximization.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For me when I started I found it helpful to eat LCHF foods in abundance for a couple of weeks to get in the swing. Not much in the way of counting. Then knuckle down!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    For me when I started I found it helpful to eat LCHF foods in abundance for a couple of weeks to get in the swing. Not much in the way of counting. Then knuckle down!

Completely agree with this. Just keep your carbs low (at least under 50g a day in my opinion) and just eat what you like for the first few weeks while you are getting the hang of it. Then use the first few weeks to work out what is working for you. Then stick to it! Good luck!

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started this because my SO's doctor recommended he do Atkins to lose 50 pounds. I read the New Atkins book and we just did it. I figured I would aim for 100 or less grams while he would initially aim for 20. I usually end up between 40-70. He has lost 45 pounds since the middle of May, I have lost 12 (but I didn't have a lot to lose).
  • kcrozell
    kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! I'm gonna do some research and go ahead and jump in with both feet. It looks like this group will be a great asset!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just remember, its a choice that only you can make, everyday. It can be tough in the beginning but the rewards are so great! This group has been my greatest resource through it all! Hang in there! It gets easier, I promise!! :smiley: