Nerdy Motivation

Options
kestrel359
kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
I had an oddly motivating moment yesterday. I have a Facebook page for my cosplays and have actually accrued a sizeable following of about 1300. I've never really thought of them as my fans, just people who like cosplay and want to see what others are working on and build a network of resources (cause that's what I think of it as). Yesterday a girl commented on my post and I started conversing with her on the topic. The last thing she posted is "I'm such a huge fan and I just think it's awesome that you're even talking to me." This of course blew me away as I'm a 32 year old mother who works an office job 40+ hours a week. Knowing I have a fan actually made me feel more motivated to eat healthy and workout so that I can make my cosplays that much more awesome and be a healthy role model. What strange and/or nerdy motivation do all of you have for getting healthy?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Well, cosplay is one thing for me. I want to get to a point where I am comfortable enough to do so. Also, since I do work out quite a bit, I discovered a while back that Under Armour makes a line of workout clothes which is now one of many reasons I am broke. XD https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/alter-ego It used to be just for guys but they have expanded their line up for women and children too though to be fair, it's not as awesome as the men's selection but they are getting better. There will be times I feel meh about going to do a planned workout, I'll put on my Captain America work out shirt on and then the meh feelings melt away.
  • kestrel359
    Options
    I hope they add more to the women's line because that is awesome! Thank you for sharing that link :p
  • runollierun
    runollierun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You deserve it! You look great and your costumes are great!
  • kestrel359
    Options
    Thank you. It's always nice to hear that, especially when I'm working on a costume that just doesn't want to go together and makes me question why I do it :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Now I want to see your page, lol.
  • kestrel359
    Options
    Always glad to share it. Hope you like it :smile: https://www.facebook.com/RebelAnneDoll
  • NordicLifter78
    NordicLifter78 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My motivation right now is to fit, and look good, in an Under Armour Superman compression shirt!!
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    That's great, glad it's motivating you. I really want one of the Under Armour shirts, wonder if they do them in the UK?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    That's great, glad it's motivating you. I really want one of the Under Armour shirts, wonder if they do them in the UK?

looks like they do but the selection is poor compared to 'Murica
    http://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/transform-yourself/
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for looking....I can see the flash one as providing an ego boost extra motivation for my half marathon
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My nerdy motivation is:

1. To keep in shape long enough to help my boys train for the Highland games when they get older (I don't care what people say - you have to be a little nerdy to wear a kilt!)
    2. To look better in my Nappa cosplay. I want the arms to match the legs.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    First you are a working mom with time to Cosplay, that is really impressive. I love cosplay, but don't have time or energy to put into it. I am a 49yo working mom, empty nester now sort of (kid comes home from college in the summer and on breaks and weekends, etc).

Second cool you have fans, that is so awesome. I understand what you are saying about not expecting it. You are doing your thing and just not even thinking that what you like to do might be inspiring others. I think its also great that you want to be even better and be a good role model. Says a lot about you.

Underarmour totally needs to get on board with the fact that there are female geeks out there! I want more female superhero shirts. I mean I wear men's t-shirts, no problem, but seriously how about Batgirl or Harley Quinn or Black Widow, there are so many female heros why are they never equally represented :(

• pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Slightly nerdyish motivation: when I head back to college for another degree, I want the rest of the students to be more distracted by my age (20+ years older than them) than my weight. Geeky twist: it's going to be a graduate degree in game design.

I also recently bought a Captain America t-shirt that looks really good but is a bit more snug than expected. Got to lose a little more before that can go into the regular rotation.
  • AprilFire04
    AprilFire04 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cosplay is definitly a motivation for me! one day soooooon, i will do it
  • rorobonobo
    rorobonobo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My nerdy motivation is my wifi scale ^_^ - I love that my weight gets recorded automatically and myfitnesspal and mapmywalk all sync. It's like a game to me now!