flying

Options
teresa7926
teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
I was told I should never chew gum again, and have not since my sleeve 2 years ago. I will be flying next week for the first time since my surgery. I have always needed to chew gum during take off and landing for my ears. Any suggestions?

Replies

• gldngrl7
    gldngrl7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chew it. You might be a little gassy later, but life is a trade off.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You can always do the thing where you hold your nose and blow to release the pressure.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would think if you're just chewing it and not going to swallow it's not going to make a huge difference to you sleeve-wise. But I'm curious about the subject...my son is graduating USMC bootcamp next month and were flying out to San Diego and I've also always had to chew gum when flying also. So if it's a no-no, I'll have to figure something else out also.
  • GlenErin9
    GlenErin9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should be fine if you're only chewing during take off and landing. Remember to use sugar free.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I flew from Michigan to Alaska at 4 months out and chewed gum on take off and landing. I didn't have any issues. Try and be conscious about swallowing air as you chew and you should be fine.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I actually chew gum frequently and have no issues. Just try to not take in too much air chewing and definitely make sure not to swallow your gum. You'll be fine.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I usually keep a water in hand when we ascend/descend as it is the swallowing that alleviates pressure (not really the chewing). For some reason I hate chewing gum, makes me feel like a cow lol