Stationary bike question

Options
MHTret
MHTret Posts: 33 Member
Does riding a bike get less uncomfortable over time?! I've got a gel seat on the bike, and a fairly ample posterior for padding, but after about 15 minutes or so I'm ready to quit.

I love the bike -- I can really get my heart rate up and it's a nice break from the treadmill -- so I'm hoping for the right answer.

No more exercise questions from me -- at least for today. I appreciate your patience.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ask away!

Yes, it gets more comfortable. Do you wear padded pants?
  • MHTret
    Options
    Okay, I have to tell you, the immediate mental image of me wearing "padded pants" made me laugh uncontrollably (a belly laugh is oh-so-good for the abs!!). But once I got control of my faculties, I found padded bike pants on Google -- I had no idea there was such a thing -- seriously, not a clue in the world!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'm heading straight to Amazon to order a pair when I've finished catching up with everyone!!

Have an awesome day...
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think that the padded shorts/pants will help, but I've actually never used them. It does take a while, but it gets better. I've been doing spin classes 3 days a week for over a year and it doesn't bother me much anymore unless we do a lot of high rpm's... which means not much time out of the saddle.
  • MHTret
    Options
    Thanks so much for letting me know your experience. It's a huge help! I really like the bike but have been walking around it for a week, just too discouraged to keep trying. But now I'll jump back on (okay, I'll climb on carefully!) and do a little each day until I can build up some tolerance.

And I'm going to try the pants... definitely!!

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OK this is going to sound silly but I actually taped a small pillow on to the seat. Allows me to get some more time on the bike but I still hate stationary bikes anyway.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    You can also see if you can swipe out the sear then go on down to your local bike store and get a wider seat, like the ones they have on Schwinn Coasters. That might help as well.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My favorite place to buy the padded pants is aerotechdesign.com. I can squeeze into the kiddie XL and it's a lot cheaper.

• MHTret
    Options
    Oh, thanks to all. The pillow idea is so clever -- may try it yet! And changing the seat -- another thing I'd have never considered.

Mostly Water - a kiddie XL, indeed!! Well, that's something to strive for, for sure!! Found an inexpensive pair on Amazon to try, definitely not a kiddie size -- and can't wait to get them to try. Thanks again!!!

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Experienced bicyclists prefer a seat with a narrow nose to eliminate rubbing and the seat area just wide enough to accommodate the sit bones. Anything wider is too much.

Your rear will get adapted to the seat in time. If you could go out and ride a regular bicycle the seat will be much less noticeable because you will have other distractions. Many of us refer to a stationary bike as a Vomitron. :)
  • MHTret
    Options
    I swear I'm going to get a T-shirt with a giant V!

Too much of a coward, I'm afraid, to ride outside -- cars, dogs, laughter of passing motorists... But I do appreciate the advice about the seat -- that makes total sense. Happy to know one can build up a tolerance -- so my new motto will be "less whining, more riding"! Thanks!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    lol, go for it
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You do get accustomed to the seat. Just ride as far as you can ,let yourself heal up and ride a little further the next time. Another big thing is adjust your seat height and position in relation to the handle bars and pedals to suit YOU. What suits the Tour De France guys may not suit you. Get advise from a reputable bike shop or online.
    I use an indoor bike on really bad cold rainy days and the boredom kills me. Maybe online mountain scenery or something.
    Just remember that whatever problem you are having can be solved and you can keep riding.
    Heartbeat to heartbeat riding indoors is just as healthy as riding outdoors and a lot safer and cooler.
    Stay with it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    The padded bike shorts: As I understand it, technically, we're supposed to wear bike pants that have a chamois without undies. It's about layers & seams & chafing. If that's not what you're having trouble with, then of course you can wear them with the undies if you prefer.

I had trouble in spin class for a while, but it's fine, now. Sometimes I notice pressure spots if I ride my real bike extra-long compared to usual, say twice as far as normal. Otherwise, no longer a problem.