Strong Curves

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
has anyone done Strong Curves in addition to or in place of SL 5x5? I'm getting a bit bored with SL & while I have great muscle tone in my upper body my hips/thighs/glutes need work.

Replies

• ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue, I have the same issue. I like the Gorgeous Glutes workout on Strong Curves. I'm on week 6 and I can see more definition on my hamstrings and glutes. Not sure if you have the book but there are several "programs" to choose from. I do the G.G. which is like an "add-on" to your existing workout. It's simply 4 exercise, 3 days a week that target the glutes/hamstrings/quads that consist mostly of hip thrusts, glute bridges, etc. Since I am one pound away from my weight goal, I added the 4 exercises in place of the 40 minute cardio I was doing at the end of my strength training. I sweat like crazy and get a good cardio workout anyway with the 4 and it takes about 20 minutes to complete.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I just got the book last night. Seems like many like the GG workout. I will do it today after my regular lifting workout.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about starting it in the fall. I have been doing strong lifts/ ICF since March and am starting to want a change. I have added hip thrusts and some of the other tips to my workouts now and have seen a huge difference. I would like to lose a few more pounds but I am more focused on inches and my shape with weight as a secondary goal.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Glad this thread was started, as I was about to post the same thing. I have been doing SL 5x5 since March, and I enjoy it, but having read about how important training our glutes is I have decided to add accessory work. I just bought Strong Curves and really am enjoying reading it. I didnt know if I should launch into the 12 week beginners routine and stop SL, or continue SL with GG. I think I will try @ShapingTheLaw 's suggestion of the latter. I love the strength that comes from SL but I want the nice backside that GG helps achieve! @Sumiblue and @Anniel88 you guys should post your progress here, and we can support each other :smiley:
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I started with the 12 wks beginner program. It's tough enough & I don't want to burn out by jumping ahead. Flute bridges are hard!!
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I need a friend to helps before I can up my hip thrust weight. I've been at 135 for months now just because the set up is sooooo tricky. Sigh.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    I need a friend to helps before I can up my hip thrust weight. I've been at 135 for months now just because the set up is sooooo tricky. Sigh.

why don,t you do them with one leg but less weight to up the difficulty? Or raise your feet up on a bench? If you're at 135 means you got the 45s on, right? It should be easier to get under the bar, then. Or wait, your feet are already up (I never remember which one is the glute bridge and hip thrusts) ? Um, would getting the bar up on your hips from the ground and then putting your feet up on the bench be an option?

Here, I just found this. Might be helpful? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZMBIcN4DA
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Think I saw that before. I've been using the fixed weight bars as there are more benches and easier access over by the dumbbell racks. Not sure how it would go using a bench from the bench press section but that's where the regular bars are... Haven't had the courage to try it over there, but I'm just at 80 lbs so far. Still awkward to do but I've been trying once a week.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, ladies. I just saw that I wrote "flute bridges" & not "glute bridges", haha!
  • andylllI
    Options
    I do back on the bench feet on the floor for barbell hip thrusts. Getting up off the floor for the first rep is the hard part. And it hurts. My bench is a big woggly if I'm not careful about how I push laterally on it during the set up so it's partly an equipment issue. When the weights get much heavier id rather have the thick blue pad under the squat shoulder pad and for that I need some help setting up. I should do what contreras suggests and get a squat sponge but they don't really ship to Canada.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at amazon.ca? I found 2 different ones relatively quickly, and both under 30$ and free shipping availability:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Advanced-Squat-Pad-Shoulder-Protective/dp/B00VXNZRJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439743508&sr=8-1&keywords=squat+sponge
    http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-Fitness-8670-04-Barbell-Pad/dp/B00130A2N6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439743508&sr=8-3&keywords=squat+sponge

My gym has the grizzly pad thingy. It's not super thick but it makes it more comfortable nonetheless. And I think if I was to do it with a wobbly bench I'd do it the deadlift way. Get the bar on your hips, sit straight down on the bench, then slowly work your way down? Iunno, I've only done the bridges so I have a hard time picturing how hard it would really be.
  • andylllI
    Options
    Hey thanks! Contreras endorses a company that makes a thing called the squat sponge that is heavy duty foam for hip thrusts but it didn't ship to Canada when I looked into it a few months ago. The first link looks like a knock off and I should try it. The second thing looks like the regular barbell pad I already have.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have just ordered my copy. Is it an easy programme to follow?
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    I have just ordered my copy. Is it an easy programme to follow?

Yes, I started at the beginners workout, and its nice and easy (maybe too easy!) but I'm taking the opportunity to just focus on my form. I was starting to feel my newbie gains failing, been doing stronglifts 5x5 since march. I don't mind the change, but I will have to do a bit of cardio to make up for lack of heartrate :)
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Geez, I must have a weak lower body! I find the beginner workout challenging enough. I did the marching glute bridges (alternating sides) yesterday and I could barely get through the 3 sets of 10. I can really feel it today! Also, I like the walking X thing using an exercise band. I don't do every single exercise in a given workout as I do SC after Stronglifts. If I already did 3 full war ups and 5x5 squTs I don't feel the need to do body weight squats. Same thing with bench. I benched 80 lbs yesterday so I skipped the DB bench exercise in SC. I work out at home so I don't have access to some of the equipment, like cable work.

I was wondering if a piece of pipe insulation would work as a bar pad?
  • andylllI
    Options
    When I started my glutes were weak too. I think almost everyone's are. I couldn't even do body weight step ups without medial knee cave, for example. For the cable stuff I either sub in another exercise for the same muscle group (instead of pull downs I do pull ups etc) or I use bands. Bands are really cheap.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ninagray000 and I look forward to getting the book and starting the programme
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Is Strong Curves primarily a glute focus program? I'm looking for a program that focuses on lower body.
  • Sumiblue
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Glutes & legs but mostly glutes.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I found this on Bret's website a few weeks ago. It gives a good idea of the exercises that make up his program.

http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

It's very detailed and has many different templates you can use to reach your goals.
    I'm on week 2 of Gluteal Goddess Advanced Workout A and things are progressing well.