IF question for insulin resistant women

Options
AMPie73
AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
Any women out there with insulin resistance doing IF? Some of the research seems to indicate that it actually makes the insulin resistance worse in women. Just wondering what experience anyone on here has had with that.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've seen more research that IF improves insulin resistance for both men and women (check out Dr. Jason Fung's work). Personally speaking, it at the very least has not made it worse for me, though mine does stem from PCOS, instead of run of the mill metabolic syndrome.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Never formally diagnosed with IR, but had many of the symptoms of it. Yes, have been able to push back the symptoms of very bad glucose metabolism with a combo of IF, LCHF and exercise. I can now even have moderate intake carbs without ill effects, minus grains.

Ketgenicgurl posted this article by Fung in another thread.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/why-cant-i-lose-weight-htlw-12/

He treats peole with diabetes on various IF protocols. He also has a 6 part lecture series that sold me into IF on youtube. I recommend to experiment to find what works for you.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying Jimmy More's Egg Fast..as he says even tho he lost 130 pounds..his BODY is still massively hyperinsulemic..so he did a 30 days all eggs & some cheese fast..and lost 27 pounds ( he's bigger so lost a lot)

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/tag/eggfest

after reading his blog I am giving this a shot too as I am doing LC, with 8:16 IF..and been stalled for 10 weeks. My Doc says I am holding water, and am fighting on many fronts metabolically, so not as much success now, despite sticking with LCHF..

my body is NOW at the weight I was for years..so ti wants to stay here…no way. Hopefully I can tolerate 5 days of eggs..and see. (PS day 3 of egg..myFBG is the lowest ever at 103..I am fighting pre diabetes, so this is important.

also look at this site: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/fat-loss/fat-loss-diets-fat-loss/
  • AMPie73
    AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine is PCOS related too, so hearing these comments makes me very hopeful. Did my first 16:8 fast today and it is going well so far. Thanks for the replies!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am interested in IF, but my FBS is the highest blood sugar of my day and seems to rise until I eat. I don't want to give up family evening meals, so I thought about eating from 12p-8p. I am just SO hungry by 9:30am.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @inspirationstation. Not sure about this, but the BG will fluctuate a lot throughout the day. It's the body mobilizing energy/regulating BG level. If it's rising in morning it could be that it's rising because BG is naturally low during sleep? Or if you're diabetic these processes are already somewhat damaged, making assumptions based on BF readings more arbitrary. Ask doc or make more research into the topic? I understand your concern, though. It could mean something...or it could mean nothing.

I've followed the mega thread @kirkor shared on the lowcarbdailyforum. There's a group there that has successfully implemented Fung's strategies of fasting and have been able to lower their FBG, A1C. However, this is anecdotal. Everything I've read so far points to the direction that a habitual fasting protocol helps repair beta cell function, because when you eat there's always an insulin response. Fasting let's the pancreas get a much needed rest. YMMV.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do IF, but only when it occurs naturally. I cannot force it as a place, as for my metabolism, forcing anything (and I mean FORCING, not just having a little water to make it through) just seems like more disordered eating. However, my body naturally is hungry some mornings and not on other mornings.

I have had more luck identifying triggers for my IR (Splenda in packets is about the worst!), and I've found that the more I cut down on sweets period, and since switching to only Sweet Leaf stevia, my IR (PS) reactions are minimal. I don't test blood glucose or anything, so I don't have any more data.

P.S. Just as a side note, I tend to have more worries around the fact I had my gallbladder removed nearly 15 years ago with IF (my body does lovely bile dumping that gives me some...bathroom adventures) than I have ever had with IR reactions to it...