Looking for Recipe - Dinner - to be reheated

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
I'm going to my Dad's on Sunday, it's his birthday. He normally makes food for us, and it's normally something with bread or pasta. He does like low carb food though, just can't really sustain it on his budget. He's also diabetic. And he knows I eat low carb. So ... I'm looking for something really good I can cook the day before (maybe in the oven or slow cooker or something) that I can reheat at his place. No real restrictions, meat, bacon and cheese all fine. I have a few ideas but I know you guys probably have something tried and tested in your arsenal. :)

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'd do a slow cooker roast. Just some chicken broth, some seasoning(I like garlic salt and pepper), a few onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker for flavor, and a roast. You could also do stew in the oven, or posole without hominy. Those both are best when reheated.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Soups and stews freeze and reheat well
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Low carb food I make in the Slow cooker:

Curry
    Stroganoff (Pork is fantastic.)
    Pulled Pork
    Butter Chicken

A big hit with the family right now is a Cauliflower, Bacon, Cheese bake I've concocted. You could make it all the day before and heat it in the oven.

A head of cauliflower, cut into florets
    6 rashers of middle bacon, chopped
    garlic to your liking (I like 3-4 cloves)
    300ml or 10 oz sour cream or double (heavy) cream
    125 gm or 4 oz cream cheese cut into small pieces
    1.5 tsp dijon mustard
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Steam the cauliflower (microwaved works great).
    Fry the bacon and garlic. Add the sour cream, cream cheese, mustard and 1.5 cups of grated cheese. Stir it until it's all melted together like a sauce, add the cauliflower and mix it in. Pour it into a lasagne dish or something similar, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Into the oven at 180C or 350F for 20 mins or until cheese has melted and browned on the top. Eat.

I've also added in cooked chicken. You could also use sliced, cooked chorizo, beef sausages or something similar.

Veggies such as mushrooms and broccoli work nicely too.

Enjoy your day and hope your Dad has a Happy Birthday. It's my birthday and I'm SO going to make a low carb cheesecake to celebrate.

• MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Meatballs are another easy one - I make them all the time and they only take about 12 minutes in the oven. I do beef and blue cheese w/ Franks hot sauce, or Bacon, Cheddar - You can make them up and cook them there, or under cook them a little so when you reheat they don't dry out. Meatloaf is good too - prepare ahead and bake it there.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    Interesting. I might make some meatballs or butter chicken and some bacon/cauliflower bake. Easy :)
  • PumpkinRunning
    PumpkinRunning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just conducted this super-simple crockpot experiment today:

Chicken breast/tenders
    1 large yellow onion, sliced
    Franks Red Hot sauce (I just poured a bunch on top of the chicken)

Cook 8hrs on low, makes a great shredded chicken that can be used in salad/lettuce wraps, or eaten plain. I mixed in some sour cream to cut down on the heat a little (I'm a wimp!), and threw some shredded cheese on top. My challenge tonight it going to be saving some to have for lunch tomorrow...
  • DietPrada
    Options
    I'm in Australia. We don't have Franks Red Hot sauce, or anything similar.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Zucchini lasagna?
  • DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hamburger Mushroom Bake?
    1 lb lean ground beef (0.45 kg)
    1 onion, diced
    1 tsp salt (5 mL)
    1/2  tsp black pepper (2 mL)
    6 oz cream cheese (180 g)
    3 eggs
    1 lb mushrooms (0.45 kg)
    2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
    1/4  tsp black pepper (1 mL)
    Shredded cheese (optional)

Cook the hamburger and onion together, with salt and pepper. until browned. Take off the stove and add cream cheese and eggs. Mix well. Place in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cook the mushrooms in the butter, with pepper, until soft and turning brown, Layer over the hamburger mixture. Cover with cheese if desired. (I like cheddar, but whatever you like will do.) Bake in a 350 (about 180?) oven for 25-30 minutes. If making the day before, assemble it, then bake the next day.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    This recipe is super simple and can be reheated and re-purposed a number of different ways:
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

I like to use it for stir fries and salads, and my husband likes to use the leftovers for pulled-pork sandwiches.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia. We don't have Franks Red Hot sauce, or anything similar.

I bought some recently when it was Buy One Get One at the grocery - actually did a happy dance in the aisle when I saw it was zero carb. Did a quick google search and came up with a thread talking about places to buy it in australia. The topic is from a year ago, but maybe one of these places is near to you and still sells it.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=912196
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Mozzarella stuffed meatballs clh2qxar0k0l.jpg

1 lb of ground turkey or beef
    1/2 cup of italian bread crumbs (optional)
    1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup of water
    1 egg
    salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
    3-4 mozzarella cheese sticks
    Spaghetti sauce

Pre heat oven to 400

Mix first 6 ingredients all together in a large bowl

Cut up the cheese sticks (or off the block if you prefer)

Roll meat mix around the cheese into a ball

Cook the meatballs in a skillet lightly browning all sides

After done, place on a sheet or in a dish and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until meat is fully cooked
    I added some spaghetti sauce before putting it in

Enjoy!
  • DietPrada
    Options
    I ended up making a "pizza" base in a rectangle casserole dish (eggs, cream cheese and tasty cheese). Topped it with some home made pizza sauce (no added sugar tinned tomatoes with garlic, onion and italian herbs). Salami, kabana, mushroom, capsicum, onion, black olives, more cheese, more garlic, more italian herbs. It tasted great. My Dad is type 2 diabetic along with alot of other health problems and he knows he does better with low carb but when I put lunch on the table he brang out a plate of bread rolls to go with it >_< I, of course, didn't have one.