Realization Has Set In

Options
va_dad88
va_dad88 Posts: 5 Member
I came to the realization that I can't keep living the way I am. I am tired of shopping for camping chairs and having to look at the weight limit to see if it will hold me. I am tired of having to try to find 2XLT clothes or bigger jeans on the internet because stores don't carry my size on the racks. But, the icing on the cake was that recently I went with my wife and kids to a local water park. I started to go down the water slides and happened to glance at the "rules". I noticed the first thing was maximum weight limit is 300 lbs. I am 318.6 lbs. As a Mechanical Designer, I had to run through whether I thought the person that designed that slide had put a safety factor on it that would cover my weight. I worked it out in my head that it would probably be alright, and it was. But, I hated the feeling that my weight was preventing me from doing the things I wanted. NO MORE!!! I have planned a Disney World vacation for the fall of 2016. My two daughters that will be 5 and 7 at the time will have a great time. I don't want to have to consider my weight for the rides. My 6' 5" height can be an issue, but there is not much I can do about that. I have 14 months to lose approximately 115 lbs. This is my realization. This is my goal. THIS IS WHAT I WILL DO.

Thank you for reading this. I just needed to put this down somewhere so that I make sure that I am accountable.

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. Your goal is realistic and achievable. Slow and steady wins this race.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Follow the MFP suggested calories, the plan works. I lost 60 pounds in nine months.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had your trigger moment--that's a key to success. If you get under 300 you will feel a big difference. 20 pounds lost got my knee to feel better so I was able to transition from walking to jogging. A virtuous circle started from there--lost over 60 total. An early loss will get you going too. I strongly recommend that you manage net calories by increasing exercise while controlling diet at the same time. Aerobic exercise gets you the big burns and helps you meet net calorie goal each day. Weight training will be important but for now I'd work on getting that first 25 lbs behind you so you can do everything easier. Sweat every day--period. Take that time for yourself--you owe it to your kids. Don't drink for a while, booze is loaded with calories and breaks your willpower. Also, don't eyeball portions, measure so that you recalibrate your portions to the truth.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You have great goals, and I know you can do them, I have before, just slipped back. Just want to say, just after10 days in Florida DW parks and Universal. I am 250 6'2. People don't say I look big but I feel big. Disney was no problem but Universal definitely has it's limits and it is not shy about them. Most rides with restrictions have a car or seat in front of the ride so you can test. Literally I bare could use over the head restraints because of the thinkness of my chest. One ride, the Hulk, I sat in front. I could not lock the seat belt into the over the head restraint. The ride member came over, I thought he was going to kick me off, cross his arms and plowed his whole body weight on the the restraint bar (into my chest) while holding the belt and got it locked. Honestly I laughed but I could only take 1/2 breathes the whole ride, and the ride took off. I lived, it was fun...
  • seraphicdoctor
    seraphicdoctor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It took me way too long to get to that realization point where I wanted to change. I'm just starting now to move in a positive direction.

It's great that you reached that point in your life. I wish you the best as you work toward your important goal
  • mrblaz
    mrblaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently had my trigger moment, hopefully this time it sticks. Nothing quite like being fat shamed in the grocery store. Keep up your hard work!
  • morgants
    morgants Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had that happen to you but believe you can turn it around to your advantage. I stopped visiting the site and logging my intake, also cut my exercise out.... only me to blame. You are not alone when it comes to trying to stick to the plan. Good Luck.