Just getting started

Options
alviar26
alviar26 Posts: 9 Member
I have had my first consultation with a doctor for VSG. I am now on a 90 day dietary program and getting all my appointments ready for bariatric clearances. There is a lot of stuff to do! Bloodwork, sleep test, upper GI and psychological clearance. How do you fit it all in? LOL

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It goes fast. Whirlwind!
  • alviar26
    Options
    Good! When I got my list, I was kind of bummed. I didn't realize how much needed to be done.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My advice to those early in the process is not to agonize over the time it will take to get to the surgery, *use* that time. Especially if you have more than 100 pounds to lose, it will be difficult to lose all of your excess weight post-surgery. Anything you lose pre-surgery is a pound you do not have to lose post-surgery.

As much as is practical, start your post-op behaviors and habits pre-op. That was the thrust of my program's pre-op plan and it worked very well for me.

You can read my pre-op and early post op experiences here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10123987/six-month-ramblings/p1

As more time passes, I really do think of my start date as the bariatric orientation meeting, rather than counting time since my surgery.

Good Luck to you!

Rob
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It goes by in the blink of an eye! You will be surprised how your desire to succeed makes things happen - best wishes! Rob to your point - I think of the beginning of my journey as a point in time 5 years ago when I woke up at 387 and said "no more" - I am going to beat this weight! Surgery was just a step in the journey, one of many I have taken to claim my life and health back - it wasn't the actual "cutting day", isn't it funny how we don't all give ourselves credit for the "other"stuff we do - I am big believer in capturing your successes, all of them <3
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I count the 35 lbs lost before surgery and the orientation in November as my starting point. I really dedicated myself to losing the weight and spent my 6 months until surgery in getting to learn how I need to change in order to lose. I researched the surgery, read up on and collected diet information and also the recipes I would be using. My advice to those just starting out is to do a lot of hard work before the surgery. Don't let things just happen to you, but YOU make them happen to you The more in control you are before hand, the better. you will be able to control yourself post op, You will be a bigger success and have less stress while making changes in lifestyle if you begin to make those changes preop. Learn to drink more, to concentrate on getting more protein, starting to give up the destructive food choices that you had been making. Learn to exercise a bit. Lose what weight you can beforehand so you will have less to lose later on. Build yourself a support group either through your surgeon's office or elsewhere. You can do this! It is a matter of life... or just existing. You deserve a LIFE.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just like all the things in my life that I have to "fit in", I find I just have to prioritize and make things happen. I tell myself that if it is important to me, I will make it work. Thankfully I have an understanding boss who allowed me some extra time here and there when I needed a day time appointment.
  • alviar26
    Options
    Great advice! Thank you everyone!
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have 180 lbs to lose and my doctor just broached the subject of WLS at my first apt with him. I go back later this month and we will discuss it more if I decide to pursue that route. My aunt went this way 10+ years ago and has been able to maintain post RNY, not without a lot of hard work. I have thought about it for years, wished for it even and now that it's an actual possibility I find myself agonizing over the choice. I had started MFP over a month before my apt and since the apt and researching the different WLS's I have started cleaning up my diet more, higher protein, trying to cut carbs, really watching the calories, and also eating slower, drinking more and substituting a protein shake when possible for a meal vs overstuffing myself when I know there won't be time to eat later. Basically trying to get rid of the bad habits now, regardless of whether I choose surgery. I feel better already, though I have not gotten on the scale again yet. Also sneaking exercise in there and making a concentrated exercise to do SOMETHING each day, in addition to my steps at work. I haven't told any of my family, only my husband of course and he is supportive. The rest would not be. I've told a few people at work and have gotten mainly support, and from the rest just general concerns about possible complications (one of the joys of being a nurse and working with a bunch of nurses ;) ).

It's harder than people realize, the changes involved, let alone the choice to proceed. I just keep telling myself, each day is new, if it turns out to be a bad one, there is always tomorrow to start over and do better. I don't want to be stuck, to keep being limited by my size.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    I have 180 lbs to lose and my doctor just broached the subject of WLS at my first apt with him. I go back later this month and we will discuss it more if I decide to pursue that route. My aunt went this way 10+ years ago and has been able to maintain post RNY, not without a lot of hard work. I have thought about it for years, wished for it even and now that it's an actual possibility I find myself agonizing over the choice. I had started MFP over a month before my apt and since the apt and researching the different WLS's I have started cleaning up my diet more, higher protein, trying to cut carbs, really watching the calories, and also eating slower, drinking more and substituting a protein shake when possible for a meal vs overstuffing myself when I know there won't be time to eat later. Basically trying to get rid of the bad habits now, regardless of whether I choose surgery. I feel better already, though I have not gotten on the scale again yet. Also sneaking exercise in there and making a concentrated exercise to do SOMETHING each day, in addition to my steps at work. I haven't told any of my family, only my husband of course and he is supportive. The rest would not be. I've told a few people at work and have gotten mainly support, and from the rest just general concerns about possible complications (one of the joys of being a nurse and working with a bunch of nurses ;) ).

It's harder than people realize, the changes involved, let alone the choice to proceed. I just keep telling myself, each day is new, if it turns out to be a bad one, there is always tomorrow to start over and do better. I don't want to be stuck, to keep being limited by my size.

You are *really* on the right track whether or not you choose WLS. Great work!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Regardless of your decision, I hope you are able to get to a place that makes you happiest.
  • inkdm0m
    inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It all goes by so fast, it's a whirlwind! Just do what they ask so there's no grey area with insurance! Good luck!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welcome and to echo everyone else, it goes so fast! I live 2 hours away from where I chose to do my surgery, so I made it a 2 day whirlwind to get all of my appts in. Day 1 I drove up, met with the psychologist and did labwork, met and old friend for dinner, and did a WLS support group meeting. Day 2 I met with the surgeon and then nutritionist and was home by late afternoon. I'd had a sleep study in the last year, so they accepted those results instead of having me repeat it. I was also a self pay, so didn't have insurance hoops to jump through; just my surgeon's requirements.

I agree that you need to start making the changes now, and the more you start transitioning to the post WLS way of life before surgery, the easier life will be. Start moving and making good food choices. Start logging your food here, and making sure you're getting your vitamins, protein, and good rest. This is a fantastic tool, but it takes work, dedication, and persistence to have the best results.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I share your anxiety and decision process...its amazing to me the ups and downs, around and ins and outs I have been through since the doctor suggested it to me at the end of May. All the appointments are overwhelming time wise, but I found that as I am going through each one things are settling down and its becoming clearer to me that the surgery is a good decision for me. I feel lucky to have found this site too and there is alot of information to read here. Like you I am selective about who I am telling at the moment. For me it became easier as each decisive was made, the type of surgery led me to focus on the sleeve information and that lessened the amount of reading to do. The date is the next hurdle for me trying to fit it around other things going on. I now think its good that my program has a 4 month period to go through as I have needed this time to digest everything. I am not so great with the weight loss I want to be doing though pre surgery :( even though am doing many good things I seem to be stuck somehow. It does help alot to do the food diary here so you can see patterns and I have learned a great deal too. Feel free to friend me here and I'll share what I am doing further if you'd like.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone's sentiments to get started early. My doctor also stresses the importance of changing eating habits and to add exercise before surgery. I had to jump through the same hoops you are going through. I have met all my requirements now and just lack two more dietician visits and weight ins. One of those is next week, then my last will be mid-September. It has went by really quick! I have 200 lbs. to lose, so it is also beneficial for me to lose weight prior to surgery. I'm down 19 lbs and proud of everyone of them. Best of luck on your journey!!
  • decruisers
    decruisers Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I too had my 1st consult last month. ..7/29/15 and I too am on a 90 day journey to surgery...it is alot to do, but it is all with a specific end in site...which type of surgery are you having? I am having the sleeve and should get my exact surgery date (mid Nov) at my next visit ...
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I second what everyone else has said! My program required me to wait 6 months before they even started the testing, etc., so when they started all of that for me, it was madness! It seemed like every week for a while there was SOMETHING! It can seem a bit overwhelming, but really, it all goes by so fast and before you know it you will have your surgery.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I recently had my first appointment as well. My insurance requires a 6 month monitored diet. I got a "free" month in because I saw my PCP last month and learned I was prediabetic so we started talking about weight more seriously. So I'm 5 months out from surgery and I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the appointments! I completely agree that it will probably go quickly though. Its going to be quite an adventure.
  • tallgirlwithaverticalsleeve
    Options
    My surgery date is the 31st:-) start pre op diet on the 24th!!! So nervous!!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Please keep us posted!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    One week post-op (sleeve). I had a 3 month process, but I found it incredibly productive. It allowed me to work on mental preparedness, clarifying habits, building trust in the process, and understanding the work of it. It also clarified that the surgery is a tool, not a magic bullet. I'm lucky that my clinic is an hour away. The drive time was a great time to process, plan, goal set.

I also am selective about who I've told. Some friends know. Others were told I had hernia surgery. I've told no one in my family. The only local family is my husband's brother and his wife, both of whom are grossly obese. I've chosen not to tell them because of how judged they may feel. (I hope they ask when I've lost the weight, so I can share, but they must broach it. )

Trust the process. Use it as a positive transition time.