What's your activity or exercise?

Options
Hi All,

just thought I'd post something so we can all get to know each other a bit better :)

So what's your exercise? (or if you don't/can't exercise, what's your go-to activity?) Why do you love it so?

I'll start: I love running! (which is curious bc I'm heavy so it's like watching an asthmatic ox clopping along! :smiley: ) But I love it!

I get to work out alone and other runners understand that- none of this come-talk-to-you-while-you-try-to-focus... like some of the schmucks at the weight room do! I like to run alone, I get to see the city, and when it comes to race day everyone, even if you train alone, is in the race together and there's a great camaraderie among us!

I also love that i can set the treadmill on, jack up the font on my e-reader and easily pass time reading away while I get a sweat on!

Running makes me feel accomplished, I love the people, the events are a blast and there are always people cheering you on no matter how fast or slow your run was that day!

So what do you love and why?

Happy Sunday!

Replies

• MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love ballet inspired stuff because I love dance. I use a lot of dvds (my favs right now are Ballet Beautiful, Sleek Technique, and good ol' Callanetics). I get to really focus on the muscles and the movements. I find it very meditative, which I need since I tend to be stressed these days with school work and family, lol! I also like weight training sometimes.
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well. I trained and ran my first marathon completely alone. I didn't know anyone else that ran at the time. I joined a running club and it was ok running with others, but still enjoyed my aone time. I do have a small group that I run with now, we all start out together, a little talking and on to running. If I have a headphone in don't talk ti me...duh.
  • snjohnston
    snjohnston Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My go-tp workouts are any DVD's by Jillian Michael's (I love her motivation!!), elliptical and stationary bike for the same reason you mentioned with the treadmill...I just get lost reading, crocheting, knitting, etc and get a great workout, and my latest find is the 8fit app... I highly recommend!! I love to sweat and feel my muscles swelling! My husband tells me that I'm much happier when I've fitted in my workouts...it's hard with small children, but I do my best, and I hope to get back on track to where I was this time last year.
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like to circuit weight train. It gets my heat rate up and I can skip the cardio... I don't enjoy running but I do it because it gives me amazing results.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical, and walk often. I have begun C25K, and am experimenting with my gym's Jacob's Ladder. Also circuit training.
    I am so close to goal, I want to add muscle in addition to losing body fat.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am very sedentary, but do work in my yard & garden a lot. Hubby brought me a whippersnipper & used it for first time yesterday. Definitely discovered new muscles this morning, lol!
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga, biking, hiking, walking.
  • CSO50364
    CSO50364 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mostly walking right now, but slower than I normally do. I enjoy walking fast, but I seem to be experiencing the detox mode. My energy levels will be up, then down, so I'm just taking it easy for now. I love to swim when I get the opportunity and stairs. Yup, I think the Stair Master is the bomb! :D
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K. I've always wanted to run, but never finished the program. I've always wanted to do a 5k. Right now I have to settle for the treadmill. I've got a disk in my neck I've got to baby. Doc said no running outside. I'm also doing a weight program.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    a whippersnipper

lol when i first read this i thought you wrote whipper snapper- LOL

i was like he got you a kid LOLOL
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    No more kids! Having grandbaby around full time has been exhausting. Must be a Saskatchewan term - it's a grass trimmer. Taller than I am, weighs about 5-8 lbs (which is a lot after several hours), and battery operated. Uses same battery my chainsaw & snow/leaf blower (anyone see a theme here?).
  • Schmeggly80
    Schmeggly80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @Sk8Kate - must be a Canadian thing because I knew exactly what you were talking about. :)
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been walking every day and doing the C25K app as well. I use the Fitbit to try to make me aware of activity levels. I want to love running so much but it just hurts. My right side pelvis in very unstable from an accident a few years ago. Anyway, I have to get up to at least 1 1/2 miles for work. I go to the gym when I can and focus on hip & core strength and body weight exercises.
  • geerunz
    Options
    Auntneen, have you tried doing a run/walk? If not look into the Galloway method.
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Geerunz, The C25K app is a run/walk thing. Right now I'm up to 2 min run/2 min walk followed by 2 sets of 3 min run/walk and another 2 min run/walk with warm up and cool down. It brings you up slowly. I used it successfully in the past. I guess it's the same concept of the Galloway method.
  • geerunz
    Options
    Yes, basically the same. What really matters is that you are out there doing it, your intervals are your intervals.
  • Helewisa
    Helewisa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weight training 2x/week and some walking when I can, slow pace though, about 2-2.5 miles/hr. (steep hills!). I also am trying to do some abdominal/core exercises each day, or...that's the new plan! I want to be consistent and find things that work for me and that I can continue to follow without over-training and burnout as in the past.
  • DheanaRamsay
    DheanaRamsay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm following a program from a book called Core Performance. It's a mix of functional movement patterns, strength training, running, stretching and what they call 'prehab' - building the smaller muscles that tend to get injured. Once I'm finished, I'll return to my favourite kind of exercise, high intensity interval training. Short, intense, mostly body weight workouts.
  • Helewisa
    Helewisa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I think it's so interesting to hear of the different forms of exercise and strengthening that works for different individuals. It's also a great way to find some new ideas to incorporate as well.