Hashimoto's and the Summer Cold

Options
Cricket1515
Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
I'm currently battling a summer cold. After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's this past spring, now I'm thinking. Being an autoimmune disorder, could that be why colds always seem to hit me so hard? It seems to take me much longer than others to recover. Does anyone else with Hashimoto's experience this?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, and discovered my seasonal colds aren't colds at all—they're allergies.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    If it lasts a week its a cold. Sensitivities/intolerance's are a real pain and can reduce mobility but unlike true allergies which have an immediate reaction they hardly ever carry you off. (immunologist)
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely talking about a cold. Got it from a social gathering along with four others. But they all seem to be getting better so much faster.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Have you had your Vit D levels checked recently? I had a bad spout of colds after my daughter was born but my GP dismissed it as "normal after having a baby". A blood test revealed a severe deficiency. I take a supplement now and the length and severity of colds seems to be back to normal.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've had Hashi's for 22 years and I think my immune system is on par with the general public. Maybe it is taking longer because of weight loss? Just thinking out loud.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I haven't noticed this after I started treatment. There were definitely times before being diagnosed/treated, where they seemed to drag on forever -- but part of that was undoubtedly just low thyroid fatigue which I mistook for my body fighting a cold (I also had super low vitamin D before treatment so that may have been part of it too). Since treatment and supps, they seem pretty normal now.
  • BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Like Lindsey1979, My colds seemed to be more virulent when I was first diagnosed and getting my meds figured out. But Now I hardly ever get a cold. Knock on wood! B)
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's and used to get a couple bad colds a year that would last up to a month. They were so hard for me to get over. No doctor ever gave me any official reasoning, but I think it was because I was later found to be severely deficient in vitamins D and B. I had to give myself B injections and take an rx strength D supplement to get back up to normal. I now take a daily multivitamin (plus my yearly flu shot) and have been completely cold free for a couple years.