Tahoe Rim Trail 50 Miler - I finished!

Options
runfoorun
runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
Hi all! Just wanted to share my most recent race experience with you. A beautiful, crazy hard trail race in the Lake Tahoe area. I'm still struggling with weight loss but am making steady progress with the ultra marathons. I highly recommend this race, maybe not as a first ultra but for sure a bucket list type race. Here's the link

http://runfoorun.blogspot.com/2015/08/2015-tahoe-rim-trail-50-mile-race-report.html
scdr4gycvitn.jpg

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading that. Congrats on your finish!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's difficult for me to wrap my head around running for 12-14 hours or longer for a 50 mile race. I moan and complain when my weekly mileage gets to 60+. However after seeing some of the scenery in your reports it could become a little more tolerable. Congrats on an accomplishment most of us wouldn't even consider doing.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the good recap, I enjoyed reading it.

Congrats on pushing through and finishing.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congrats on the huge accomplishment!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was there pacing a friend doing the 50 mile race.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Class, I love it! you said it perfectly 'beautiful misery'.

Lucky you had great support in your companions; they obviously had great support in you too. Well done.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great job. impressive
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    gosh, that was an awesomely inspiring read. I want to be like you!!!
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Oh man... LOVE Tahoe! In fact, I will be there over the Labor Day holiday for our annual family vacation. I can't wait to be there again! <3
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So you only had Friday to acclimate? I always find that the elevation in Tahoe is just enough to effect you pretty hard, and that it takes a bit more than one day to actually adjust completely. You did great.
  • runfoorun
    Options
    valentine4 wrote: »
    Class, I love it! you said it perfectly 'beautiful misery'.

Lucky you had great support in your companions; they obviously had great support in you too. Well done.

I've been lucky to meet some amazing people since I started trail running. Thank you
  • runfoorun
    Options
    Thanks everyone and i'm glad you enjoyed the blog write up. I like sharing my running experiences and always cross my fingers and hope it reads well. @tufel yes only one day to acclimate. Usually around 7-8k feet is where altitude begins to have an effect on me. Tahoe was well worth sucking wind all day though.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Great race report. It's always inspiring to me as a bigger guy to see and hear about other bigger guys (and beast mode guys such as yourself) running them. I'm training for my first 50K and it makes me feel less batshit insane to see that clydesdale ultrarunners actually exist!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Work blocked your blog, but in any case, BRAVO! I am not ready for Ultra's.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I wish I could read the blog too, but I'm also at work. I admire you very much! I have no ambitions to do a 50 miler (at least not now), but I am planning on a 50K next fall! You must have a wonderful sense of accomplishment!
  • runfoorun
    Options
    jchite84 wrote: »
    Great race report. It's always inspiring to me as a bigger guy to see and hear about other bigger guys (and beast mode guys such as yourself) running them. I'm training for my first 50K and it makes me feel less batshit insane to see that clydesdale ultrarunners actually exist!

You'd be surprised at the variety of body types of I've seen covering 50 and 100 mile races. Put the training in, and you'll do great. Granted, I'm probably as big as they get for a 100 mile finish and I'm back of the pack but it's definitely do able. Good luck to you on your 50k!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - what an accomplishment!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the journey! How did Susy fare, did she also finish? You two have quite a war story there!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Loved reading your article on your "beautiful misery" on the trails. Thanks for taking the time to put thought to words and for all the photos. :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    What a great read! Congrats.