Need support, new here

Options
I need to lose 282 lbs but first i need to lose 100 lbs or the neurosurgeon will not do the back surgery i so desperately need. I no longer have any other options left due to a car accident when i was 18 i am now 31 and the pain is so severe. I was never over weight till after the car accident i was very active before! I can not get around good anymore due to pain so i have to control my weight now and lose by controlling what and how much i eat.

Replies

• seells
    seells Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It's a slow but worthwhile journey! Once I found a way of eating that worked for me it became so much easier! I got a food scale and really kept track about how much I am truly eating.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I'm on your journey, bad knees!! Have to lose 100 before surgery. I'm here for you!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well done on taking the first steps to change your life. I too was overweight partially for reasons out of my control. I was limited physically and mentally. I know you can and will find the perseverence required to complete the hard road ahead of you. This group is a very supportive and encouraging atmosphere. Feel free to add me for extra support. Good luck
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily how much you eat, so fortunately you don't have to do any exercise. It's very easy to overestimate, so as @sells mentioned a scale and being very diligent about tracking everything will be very important.

If you are able to walk, use a recumbent stationary bike, or any other sort of activity it will enhance the loss; if these activities are painful though be very specific in how you track your food, and focus on your calorie intake and you'll be fine.
  • butterflygrl2003
    butterflygrl2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and support i do have a recumbent bike that i use on low pain days, right now i am in a flare up pain wise so its not possible. I am being very careful on what i take in!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    @butterflygrl2003 have you tried water exercises? Your doc could prescribe pool therapy if you don't know how to get started. It's a great way to strengthen the limbs and core while off-loading your back, and therapy pools are usually a bit warmer so they help decrease pain, too.
  • butterflygrl2003
    Options
    I have done that in teh past, and while i have no pain in the water its worse when i get out, the water at the therapy pool here is not warm either at least not to me i get spasms. It is so frustrating i feel hopeless lately.....
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I understand the frustration. I have an autoimmune disease, and was bedridden for several months. Re-mobilizing was so hard, especially since I still had to deal with the MG and try to not make it flare.

One thing that helped me learn to re-engage my core, without stressing my muscles or flaring the MG, was restorative yoga. It's done while laying on the floor (or a table/bed if you can't get to the floor). It focuses on retraining your body with normal movement patterns. Anyone with chronic pain or weakness develops abnormal movement patterns to compensate. The restorative yoga really helped me re-learn the basic stabilizing patterns, and helped me build from there. And, it's gentle, pain-free, and run at your own pace.

The other thing that helped me early on was logging what I was able to do in a day. Focus on what you can accomplish, no matter how small it seems. If log things like "prepared breakfast while sitting" and "walked up one flight of stairs," etc. I could look back and see the progress over several months. It's hard when you feel like you're in a mile-deep hole to even consider climbing out. It's even harder to see the progress you're making, because there's so far to go to feeling normal again. Now when I'm feeling hopeless, I look at my journal and remember "oh yeah, a year ago grocery shopping was the biggest accomplishment I had in a week. Today's a bad day, but it's so much better than last year."

Hang in there. You're here. That's taking action working towards progress. It starts slow, but momentum will build.

I'll hold your hope for you, it's here safe and sound, ready and waiting for when you're ready to pick it up again :smile: .
  • butterflygrl2003
    Options
    Thank you, that really means a lot. I have a LOT of health issues including a blood cancer you dont normally get till over 60, im 31. It is hard to deal with. i am on 26 meds and they do NOT help metabolism but we went thru them all 5 of my doctors and me there are none i can go off of at this point :(