Low Carb, PCOS, and Acne?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been on a low carb diet for about 3 weeks now. I have lost 11.5 pounds and I feel great! In addition to not feeling hungry, bloated, etc. I think I am seeing my skin clear up. But rather than get excited about it, I decided to ask other women here whether their PCOS-induced Acne cleared up when they went LC. I would LOVE if this was a permanent change! TIA!

Sierra

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I don't have pcos but I have seen several others post that their acne did clear up when they started lchf. I hope it continues for you :)
  • brikachuu
    brikachuu Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My skin has cleared up a lot but that started mostly when I completely cut soda out of my diet months ago. I've heard low carb has positive effects on your skin though ( other than the weird bruising which I'm dealing with now )
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Don't suffer with PCOS, but my cystic acne is greatly improved after almost six months in.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but do not have acne now at 43 years old. However, in my late 20's, when my hormones were a complete bust and I was suffering from infertility, I suffered from terrible cystic acne. Lordy, I remember how much those things hurt.

After two rounds of IUI that resulted in my first born, my hormones leveled out and I was able to conceive two more times naturally. Since my first pregnancy, no acne. Hormones definitely play a HUGE role in how our bodies function.

That said, when I finally made the move to LCHF, my skin looks even better. Smoother, softer, brighter. I notice the whites of my eyes get really bright too.

As far as my teeth, those rarely have a plaque build up too, so says my dentist.

LCHF all the way! :p
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dropping wheat and sugar were the two biggest things that helped my acne issue (I have PCOS, as well). LCHF has brought benefits at all of the stages that I've done with it. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No PCOS here but most of my peri-menopausal whacky hormone symptoms are either gone or reduced, along with the acne.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I developed acne at about age 33-34 after having my youngest son. It wasn't severe but it was pretty constant around my mouth and back. Annoying for an adult.

It did clear up almost completely after going LCHF. Now I just get 1 or 2 pimples per month rather than 1 to 3 at a time (by my chin). I don't have PCOS (as far as I know), but I did have prediabetes and some autoimmune issues.