Plateau Worries

Options
911Chrisy
911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
I'm wondering if having a plateau 2 weeks post op is something others have encountered. My weight is not changing.
In starting to get more physical, and I'm consuming 250- 450 calories a day.
I had my blood work done recently and I'm waiting to find out of my thyroid is to blame for this stall.
I am feeling pretty defeated. Every weight loss journey from my past was like this and ultimately unsuccessful.
I'm hopeful but feeling like my body is failing me once again.
What are your thoughts, and experiences?

Replies

• lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a plateau 2 weeks in. It messes with your head for sure. Trust the process it will work. Plateaus happen. My last one was 3 weeks and I am five months out. I was seriously shocked the scale wouldn't budge for 3 weeks but then bam... I went down almost 2 pant sizes during that time. Hang tight!!
  • 911Chrisy
    Options
    lioykavsg wrote: »
    I had a plateau 2 weeks in. It messes with your head for sure. Trust the process it will work. Plateaus happen. My last one was 3 weeks and I am five months out. I was seriously shocked the scale wouldn't budge for 3 weeks but then bam... I went down almost 2 pant sizes during that time. Hang tight!!

Thanks for the encouragement. It is good to know I'm not alone in this.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It happens. I have 2 friends who are 2 and 3 months post-op and they've lost less than 10lbs. The body is a complex chemistry machine and it will do what it does in its own time. Follow the program and trust the process.

Also realize that plateaus will happen and they'll happen more often the closer you get to your goal weight. That's why this is a 2-5 year process.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It is so frustrating, isn't it! I hit a plateau 3 weeks out. Lasted for a week and a half. People here, and my dr said its normal. Your body has gone through some major changes. Trust the process. At that few calories, the weight has to come off! Just relax and trust the process. I started weighing myself every few days, instead of every, to ease some of the mental battle. Also, I've read that during stalls is where you lose inches. I'm only 5 weeks post and after that stall, I was down 16". Good luck!!
  • Ramla_J
    Ramla_J Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! You and I are surgery sisters, chrisy. I know my stall is coming. My weight loss is crawling to a stop. But just remember, your body is thinking "what the hell is going on here?" and needs to re-evaluate the situation. My body will fight me tooth and nail to hang on to every ounce of fat possible. My body LOVES to be fat - even though it is causing so many other health issues. Be patient. Know that stalls are just part of the process. Nothing is perfect. We have to take the good with the bad. I saw that you are exercising (Yeah You!!!) and definitely are burning more calories than you are consuming. As Niklynn said, you are probably losing inches. When you hit a plateau, start measuring inches. As long as you follow the plan, it's going to come off. We all don't lose at the same rate, but your weight will come off.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Your body needs adjustment and stabilization time. With the calorie drop and anotomical changes it's perfectly normal for it to jump into freak-out mode. Sometimes a few days, sometimes a week. Just keep at what you are doing, and you'll pull through. Remember, you are in this for the long-haul.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am 2 weeks out from my sleeve. Last week, I had 4 days where I either stayed the same or went up a bit. I think it was my body rebalancing a bit - getting more hydrated, more muscle, less fat. Probably some "waste" building up in my intestine, as well. Then, I dropped the weight I gained, plus 2 lbs, in just a few days.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Push down into your ankle area or your calf. Does it take a second or two for your skin to pop back out? If so, what you're probably experiencing is excess water weight from the IVs you were on. I know *I* was - it took a good three weeks for me to get that stuff out of my system and before I started seeing any meaningful weight loss.

In the meantime, adjust when you weigh (I do it once a week instead of every day because I can't stand how fluctuations mess with my head) and start measuring. Usually even when I'm hitting a weight plateau, I still notice a difference in my measurements.
  • 911Chrisy
    Options
    Oh man you guys are great. I'm so glad to have this forum.
    I am trying to weigh myself only on Tuesdays in the morning. If I get on tomorrow and feel defeated I'm going to stop checking until my follow up appointment in Sept.
    I also took my measurement a couple weeks ago, I think I will pull out the tape tomorrow

Logically I know my calorie intake would make it impossible for me to stop losing weight forever. However emotions ran high and out of fear I allowed myself to compare all those previous attempts.

I am committed to this lifelong change and the journey that comes with it.

I swam for 3 hours yesterday and 2 hours today in a wave pool. (not constant swimming) My entire body aches but mentally after waking up this morning I felt better.

Logging in and reading your comments made me feel great and reassured.

Thank you!
  • 911Chrisy
    Options
    Weigh in today I'm down 6 pounds.
    I am only tracking my waist and hip measurements and so far I am down 9 inches.
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    911Chrisy wrote: »
    Weigh in today I'm down 6 pounds.
    I am only tracking my waist and hip measurements and so far I am down 9 inches.

That is awesome!!

I feel like I am struggling with my 2nd plateau and I am only four weeks post op. I don't get it. I am following the program. Like you said in your original post, Chrissy, I feel like my body is failing me. I seem to never be able to get past a certain point.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. Weight loss isn't linear, it looks more like a staircase. Keep eating your protein and drinking your water and trust the process. As an illustration, I'm 4.5 months out from surgery, and here's my MFP weight chart for the last 90 days. It does work, but your body does pause to catch up. I've also noticed that during the weeks that my weight stabilizes, my pants get baggy on me. So while I'm not losing weight those weeks, I'm losing inches. I also had a 2 week plateau, 2 weeks after my surgery and was sure that it wasn't working. I'm now 4.5 months and 61pounds out, and have gone from a size 20 pant to a size 12.

i4m4zwo5hw0d.jpg
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just want to say thankyou to everyone here, the notes you write and the things being talked about are more than helpful to me as I enter the journey with you! You are all wonderful!
  • Maria544
    Maria544 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lose weight for 2 weeks the next 2 not an ounce. The start losing again for 2 weeks kind of frustrating but I'm losing consistently.
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Knowing that I am not alone is a great help! You don't always hear about everyone's plateaus just that the weight just fell off. I just have to trust the program.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 weeks out and have been hovering for 2-3 weeks. Having patience is tough sometimes. I'm going to take some measurements tonight. Hopefully the inches are melting. I could use a mental boost!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, like everyone says it is a staircase not a steady decline. I am a one week loser and then stall for three sometimes four weeks and then lose like crazy for another week or two sometimes - in the beginning it drove insane - I started weighing myself three/four times a day. I have learned to relax and realized this is my journey and I will get there just like everyone else :)
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great conversation! I got my sleeve 11 days ago. I still am not at the weight I was the morning of surgery! I'm not freaked out because I had to spend an extra day in the hospital getting pumped full of fluid because of my extremely low blood pressure. I'm just waiting to get to "new" territory so I can feel like I have officially started. (Which is ridiculous.) But reading about your plateau advice is so helpful!