Are these good signs?

Options
part of me is wondering if this is a sign ketosis is happening or if I'm doing this wrong.
I wake up in the morning and it feels like the hardest thing to do. My body feels like a lead weight and my head pounds. Once I've woken up and ate it feels a little better and the head ache becomes dull rather than pounding but my energy levels are still not great. I just want to sleep. My sleeping is also not great.. I go from being in a deep sleep to waking for no reason all night. I'm not feeling awful... Just weird and at times like I'm not althogether with it. Like when I'm doing something, say like cooking, I really have to think about it because I just can't seem to focus. By the end of the day I feel tired, heavy and light headed. Also, not sure if this has anything to do with it but my wee smells really sweet??
I've been at this a week now and been feeling like this for about 5 days.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    does sound a bit like keto flu but it doesn't sound like a great time for you - are you getting enough salt, magnesium etc? You really need to get more than you think is normal, especially during this early phase, but all the way through. Are you supplementing for these?

Some people do get funny smelling wee from the acetones.
  • victoriageorgina
    victoriageorgina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wondered if it had something to do with those things rather than just keto. I've up'd my salt today although I thought I was getting plenty.
    What are good ways to supplement these?
    Why my energy peeks mid day I'm buzzing, it just doesn't last.
  • victoriageorgina
    Options
    When*
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take supplements - magnesium, calcium, vit D, omega 3 , and a good multivite. I have some of the heavy head in the morning sometimes, and I figured out if I don't drink enough water it is worse. I'm finding I need to drink much more water than I did before and increase my sodium dramatically. I hardly ever used to use salt, especially when my husband went on a very low sodium diet. You'll figure it out.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've up'd my salt today although I thought I was getting plenty.
    What are good ways to supplement these?

Broth is the traditional approach. It contains both sodium (about 1g) and potassium. But any food with around a gram of sodium should make you feel MUCH better. Even a burger from McDonalds or a couple pickles.

• victoriageorgina
    Options
    I've tried a cup of beef stock made with a cube... I drink heaps of water but I'm also really retaining it these last couple of days as well. I'll get some supliments.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water is good but it causes the water to sodium balance to change too, so you'll need even more salt. Of course keep drinking all the water you want. Getting enough salt is almost always the cause of first weeks issues because even though you know you need more, it can be a challenge because you can really need so much more that just adding it to food to keep balanced just isn't enough. You specifically need to seek out ways to eat high salt foods.
    Broth is a favorite and pickles and even sunflower seeds with the shell on. In another post I saw someone say the David's brand seeds had the highest salt.
    I also got a salt substitute called NuSalt that is potassium chloride. I use it along with regular salt on food just to get a bit extra potassium too. And I added a magnesium oxide supplement. I only take 250mg a few times a week, mostly because I forget to take it since I do it at night... These little changes helped me with leg and foot cramps I had on a regular basis. Though I managed to avoid the initial low electrolyte symptoms in the beginning.
    Best of luck to you. Once you figure this part out, I'm sure you'll be much happier with your diet changes.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I came to eating low carb at 63 and with real arthritis pain issues. Lot of weird stuff developed the first few months for sure but over time my body adjusted to the changes. Google can be your friend or enemy but I would suggest you use it just the same to learn more.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi victoriageorgina,

As you know I have only been at low carb for about two weeks so others know more than I do. But I have been doing MFP for awhile. I had a look at your diary and it is hard to tell what is going on because your logging is a bit intermittent. ;) That is step one, log as much as you can because without data is it hard to figure out problems. Also, although you have been eating low carbs, your goal macro amounts are set too high. If you go into custom goals, you can adjust your goals to more accurately reflect the amount of each macro you want to measure against. It makes it easier to see at a glance what is happening. The logs I am seeing are only around 1000 calories. That is not a lot to eat and over time would affect you, I think. I try to eat around 1300 and I am just over 5ft but carbs (or net carbs) count more than calories so going over is OK. But you are really under. I did have keto flu but it cleared quickly. If yours doesn't, have a closer look at the amounts you are eating as well as drinking. My 2 cents!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I even add a couple of dozen shakes from the salt shaker to a small drink of water every morning. That seemed to keep my headaches away. I also take Ca+Mg, a multivitamin, and another magnesium supplement now. Extra water definitely helps too.

Good luck. bIt sounds like you have quite a harsh case of keto flu. :( I hope it's gone soon.
  • victoriageorgina
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate all the advice!! I dropped my water intake today and upped my salt and ate a bit more.. Was hard to do as I'm never hungry or picky on low carb! I was drinking around 14 cups of water a day. I've felt a lot better although headache is still lingering in the back ground.. I've also had lots of energy so hopefully I'm getting there.
    Dasher, you're right, my logging is shocking! I lost a lot of weight a while back and it was due to logging (and mostly low carbing as its the only way I seem to be able too) so I know I need to get better at it, just so hard finding the time with the kids off school lol.. But thanks for taking a look for me and offering advice, I'll be giving it all a go!!
    Shall be getting some supliments. I had no idea sodium was really important and usually avoid salt. Thanks again ☺️
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Daily on rising:

Cup of bouillion
    Potassium supplement
    Magnesium supplement
    Vitamin.

This has worked for me and I feel pretty good. If I forget a day of the bouillion I feel like crap. I don't pretend to know all the science or even where I picked up these recommendations, but each of them seems to help make this way of life work for me for me over the long haul. I've lost 112 pounds doing this and try to keep around 20 carbs a day. Good luck!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I had no idea sodium was really important and usually avoid salt.

It is the hardest message to get across. People simply refuse to believe it and instead suffer through the "flu."

Glad you're feeling better. :)

• victoriageorgina
    Options
    Yesterday and today I have felt so much better... I definitely think it was the salt. My wee still smells really sweet though and I still have a slight headache but I had a really late night so that could be down to that. I woke up feeling normal so that's a really good sign and I have energy again. Thank you everyone. Hopefully I've figureD out the balance.. I've also got rid of a lot of the water I was retaining and my jeans fit again lol
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! You will find the balance for you.