Truly need advice.

Options
i have been smoking since I was 12 , the only time when I quit was when I was pregnant. I stopped for a while and all I did was binge eat and eat and eat , I also found out that I was bi polar, so I got really depressed and food and cigs were my only solution to every problem. But now since i TRULY want to loose weight and get healthy so I can be active with my daughter is to quit my two most addictive habits. The last time I tried both I swear I wanted to die. But now I have my daughter that is not an option. Advice and support would be appreciated :/

Replies

• walrusd
    walrusd Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel with you! I'm sure you'll get there. Try to focus on positive habits to develop that will eventually "bump out" your negative ones. Like, start drinking a lot of water, always carry a bottle of water. Then start drinking tea in the evening in stead of snacking, etc. I can't say I'm no longer obsessed with food, but this is what has worked for me in the past.
  • AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Be patient and kind to yourself. It may take a good amount of time to change your habits. Set small goals of smoking less and replacing that with healthier options. Recognize your emotions, be accepting of them and then let it go
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Take mega doses of fish oil, it does wonders for psych conditions like depression and bipolar.
  • sabrinafort
    sabrinafort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found that until I was Willing to quit smoking for myself, and not for my kids or spouse or anyone else, I couldn't make it stick. I worked on being willing. And I worked on a plan that I was comfortable doing. It took awhile but I'm smoke free 2 years and haven't had a single craving...I really believe because I was finally ready. You can do it too!
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Work towards running or biking in the sun. The sun helps with depression and the activity helps with withdrawal. Plus you can't smoke while doing it. You will backslide but keep trying. I quit 30 years ago and it was very tough but I finally succeeded. I have seen two people die of smoking related emphasema so terrible. It took me many years but now you couldn't force me to smoke. Good luck.
  • FoodLoveGirl
    FoodLoveGirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the real answer is that you have to do the work to find out why you were using cigarettes and food to mask what is really troubling you. The cigs and food were just tools to help you mask the hurt so you wouldn't have to deal. You have to look deeped into what's really going on and face it head on and not allow yourself to self-medicate with the food and the cigs. I have the same problem with food, I get stressed or upset and before I can deal with it, I eat b/c eating numbs out the pain and puts me in a sort of haze, then I can sort of cope. That is not healthy. WE have to acknowledge our feelings and truly FEEL them. Allow the pain, hurt, boredom, whatever to just happen. On a deeper level if we keep feeling something - we have to figure out why -what happened whenever a long time ago to make us not want to deal and eat instead, or smoke instead. WE've got to pinpoint those issues and actually work through them. It's hard but it's the only long term sustainable solution to this problem over emotional eating.

Good luck.

(I've started blogging about my journey with this issue at: www.foodlovemefoodhateme.com - specifically check out an article called "Don't Eat Your Worries")