From levothyroxine to armour thyroid - bad headache

Options
linux40
linux40 Posts: 127 Member
Hi,
Just went from 125 mcg levothyroxine to 2 grains armour thyroid a couple of weeks ago. I`ve been using armour before and know that my body and mind works so much better on those, plus it`s way easier (for me that is) to lose weight ....but I got pursuaded by my doc to try levo again....which was a bad choice, really.

Well, to the point - I´ve switched back, going straight from levo to armour, no pause. And my head is almost exploding every day. I go to bed with headaches, and I wake up with it. Headache-drugs wont help at all. Been like this for approx 10 days now.
Now I`wondering if I might be overdosed, since I might have levo still in my blood? Or am I underdosed, since I used to be on 3 grains of armour....and since headache is one of the syptoms for undermedicated hypothyroidism.

My doc`s on holiday, that`s why I`m asking you guys. Hopefully someone knows...
TIA :)

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry there don't seem to be many of us about at the moment. I hope you did take yourself off to see a doctor. Headaches do not only have to be related to thyroid though you probably do have dose issues or cross over problems. Please get proper medical advice.
  • linux40
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I went to see my doc. He told me, switching from levothyroxine to armour thyroid can give mild hyper-symptoms untill the body adjusts to the new meds. My body is given (almost) pure T3 straight, and some can`t tolerate it untill the levothyroxine is totally gone from the blood...He told me symptims could last for about a week, and he was so right. All symptoms gone now, no headache, and feeling better :)
    Thanks again for answering me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I was just going to say wait 5-7 days to allow the hormones to balance in serum, but late to the party. 5-7 days is normally how long you can expect a hormone reaction to last and they are fairly common whenever making adjustments, especially with the dominant hormones.
  • linux40
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Good for you!

I was just going to say wait 5-7 days to allow the hormones to balance in serum, but late to the party. 5-7 days is normally how long you can expect a hormone reaction to last and they are fairly common whenever making adjustments, especially with the dominant hormones.

Never too late for a good reply :) Thanks a lot. Yeah, I know, I should have waited really, Don`t know how snart it was to go straight from the one med to another..but now it`s done, and it was a no-good experience. Heartbeat, headaches and totally worn out by nothing.
    I`m over it now, and it`s good. Thanks again for your reply :)

• BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing people say they prefer Armour Thyroid. What's the diff?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Armour is desiccated pig (or pig + cow) thyroid glands. Synthroid is synthetic T4. Cytomel is synthetic T3. Armour contains T1, T2, T3 & T4.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier as well. I had the same thing happen to me when I switched. It was awful. My doctor failed to warn me. Kind of po'd about that... I just needed to take 1/4 doses then half then full over the course of a few weeks. I feel a lot better on desiccated as well. So much smoother emotionally. It is hard to describe.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank all y'all for this thread. I'm sorry there wasn't a reply in time to help @linux40, but you've all helped me! My endocrinologist never tells me anything, so if I can finally persuade him to let me try Armour I never would've known about the headaches.