How to lose weight and exercise when in 24/7 horrible pain?

Options
I desperately need back surgery but until i lose at least 100 lbs they will not touch my back, i am even considering the gastric sleeve surgery but really do not want to go that route!

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise. I'm recovering from a serious auto accident since last October and have lost weight without exercising. I started in June and lost about 8-10 lbs per month. I do best with low carbohydrates, moderate proteins, and high fats. I just started walking for exercise this month.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to ask if you definitely need the surgery. I'm hoping that perhaps with weight loss and therapy maybe the back pain can resolve itself?

I knew someone who ate the post-gastric diet and successfully lost enough weight that he did not need weight loss surgery.
  • butterflygrl2003
    butterflygrl2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will not do much for my back except allow me to have the surgery. It is so hard knowing there is a solution if i weighed 100 lbs less for now, i want to lose 282 total. I want to feel better NOW! But i have to be patient.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sensitivity to salicylate can actually cause pain. Not many medics seem to know this and keep prescribing higher doses. I would hope this is not you because you need pain relief. There are aspirin free pain relievers available on prescription. Little regard is given to salicylate being in foods, its the means many plants protect themselves from molds and mildews. Most household cleaning and personal hygiene products contain the stuff too. Please take a look at SalicylateSensitivity.com. There are other sites which relate to it, Asprin and salicylate sensitivity, "Food can make you ill", looks at other possible toxic reactions people can have to "foods". SS can be implicated in Autism and many other health problems. The principal food lists were devised by an Australian dietitian, Ann Swain and colleagues many years ago. Increasingly products are being made without the stuff.

For me I react to even low levels in food, and perfumes/smells in general. After a week when a teenage granddaughter stayed I was on crutches with joint pain. It all resolved quite quickly drinking plenty of water and going extremely low in the stuff. Avoiding it as much as I can I'm pain free. Went out to look at a camper van, to take some of my life back and had to say, I'll come back masked up to take it for a test drive! There are air cleaners and bicarb which will take the smell out of it for me if I want it. I was loosing the ability to think.
  • butterflygrl2003
    butterflygrl2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thats really interesting, i hope i dont have the sensitivity because i have to take aspirin i have a mild type of blood cancer called myleoproliferative neoplasms. And the only two treatments they use is aspirin and chemo pills.