What do you do when you're tired but can't sleep?

Options
walrusd
walrusd Posts: 40 Member
I often eat when I feel tired, but can't sleep. Like I cannot sleep during the day to have a good night's sleep, not even 5 minutes, or I have something important that needs to be done. I don't drink coffee, because it makes me anxious, and resolve to sugar instead, unfortunately... Do you have any tips?

Replies

• GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I read a book to get sleepy. The book has to be special: equal parts fascinating (so I'll want to read it) and academic (so it gets me good and yawny). I generally read history books. I love history but the more academic, the more boring they are. (I also use melatonin)
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Watch movie dvds that I've already seen, with the volume off (or on another language) and subtitles in English. Oddly enough this works for me.
  • kitubles37
    kitubles37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have tried so many different things and nothing works.. It's really discouraging.... Gl
  • jennsy70
    jennsy70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have problems sleeping ahead, I take ambien. If I think I'm going to fall asleep and can't, I keep my ipad with me in bed. I will either read something really dry like a psych book or nutrition, listen to guided relaxation on youtube, or similiar to what someone else does, I put something on I've seen a million times, start watching and my brain starts to tune it out and I'll fall asleep. Unfortunately, I also have the nights where nothing works and have learned to roll with it rather than drive myself crazy.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As a writer I like imagining my characters as I lie awake, either playing out a scene like a movie in my mind, trying to pick out every little detail and camera angle, or sometimes I pick a random topic and imagine myself having a conversation with my character. It usually puts me right to sleep, as long as I avoid really funny and exciting characters or really action-packed scenes. I do that when I'm waiting in a line/bored too, it's a weird quirk.

Otherwise sometimes I try to "take inventory" of my body, like how do my toes feel right now? They're warm, flexing against a soft blanket, okay how about my ankles? and I go through my whole body that way.

Now that I've written these out they both seem pretty weird don't judge me.

The biggest thing that I've observed about myself, though, is that the longer I go without running the worse I sleep. A good, hard jog in the afternoon always seems to keep my hormones balanced and my body tired enough to just pass out within 15 minutes of turning out the light. If I go more than a week or two without running (or a significant amount of other cardio, not that I branch out very often) I start to have sleepless nights. I've been that way as long as I can remember.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if I'm rolling over every 30 seconds and starting to get frustrated with myself, I get up, walk around the house, have a sip of water, etc. for about 5 minutes and then lie back down. I think it helps ease some of the frustration so I can start fresh trying to relax. If you're worried about night eating though it might be best to avoid the kitchen if you try this.
  • Stars2130
    Stars2130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I find sometimes that white noise helps such as a fan on or even listening to relaxation sounds such as waves or rain. Podcasts (nothing too hyper though) are nice too.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you're asking what to do when you are tired, but sleeping is not an option. (As opposed to having insomnia.) Instead of going for uppers - sugar being your biggie - give yourself some rest. You don't have to sleep in order to rest. It is hugely helpful to lay down on your back. This can be very restful even if it is just 5 minutes. You can also listen to quiet music (Zen music is great), take a slow walk outside, or just close your eyes and focus on your breathing for a little bit. These things and more can help you rest and feel more energy, without uppers that will ultimately make you feel worse.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This might sound odd, but can work if you give it an honest try. Good for when you can't quiet your mind. As you lay in bed, everything is quiet (except maybe calming music), repeat the word "sleep" to yourself over and over until you eventually fall asleep. Also be mindful of your breathing. It is harder then it sounds and takes focus but it has put me to sleep.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I currently take a herbal supplement from Metagenics called Adrenotone. My body struggles to produce Melatonin which you need to sleep. I take one with dinner and it helps to ease me off to sleep and it also helps me to stay asleep
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I listen to LBC talk radio pretty much all night. I fall asleep but the talk radio is on. It helps me sleep
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I get on the treadmill for 20 minutes if I'm feeling hyper. If I'm feeling tense either a hot shower or bath to relax.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I will get out of bed and read. I make the kitchen off limits so it's just me, my book and my cat.