What's for lunch?

Options
anbrdr
anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
What are you all doing for lunches? Leftovers? I'm just coming off my post-op restrictions, so now my options are a little more open. It's still hard to come up with ideas on how to get in all the nutrition. I've been in a meat/lowfat cheese/yogurt rut. I need some better options that still fit the guidelines, now that most restaurants are no longer an option.

The only "good options" that I've found for dining out have been Wendy's chili, and the hot-bar at Whole Foods.

Anyone packing some killer easy (well-balanced) lunches?

Replies

• martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been getting ideas from Pinterest, of all places!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I always keep a couple of premade deli soups (chicken and corn chowder, broccoli cheese, chili, etc) in my fridge and those are my go-tos for lunch many days. I do add 1/2 a scoop of musclegen protein powder to amp them up usually and that gets them in the 20-25g of protein range, depending on the soup for 1/2 cup.

Chick-fil-a has grilled chicken nuggets, 4 for 11g of protein, which I've done a couple of times as another fast food option when out.

Bumblebee snack packs- I really love the BBQ chicken salad and tuna salad, and these require no refrigeration

2oz of deli meat- pastrami, ham, roast beef, etc with a slice of cheese. I eat so little of it, I can now afford nicer deli meats.

turkey pepperoni nuked for a minute in the microwave to make them crispy like chips, and serve with hummus

2oz Smoked salmon mixed with light sour cream. Can eat straight up or with veggies, pork rinds, or wheat thins as a dip

chicken or egg salad. Again eat it straight or with above dippers.

• Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    great ideas! I like artichoke tampenade plain from the jar or with crackers
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Baked tofu with a little marinade - I use the low fat Nasoya brand. Edamame.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sinderstorm- some great ideas! Thank you.

Yesterday my family stopped at McDonald's. Yikes! I got a grilled chicken sandwich, no bun or sauce. I ate half the chicken (2oz) and part of the tomato slice. Worked out well, it was good, and I actually felt like I was eating with my family!

I've been eating a lot of the tuna sensation packets. Really tasty! Cottage cheese to go packs are great in a rush, deli meat and string cheese wraps are what I had today.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just got a new spiralizer so I've been going a bit crazy with zucchini noodles. I usually sautee or pan-sear a protein and then pan-sear the zoodles in the leftover juice afterward and eat it like a stir fry. It's been great. Planning to try the spiralizer with a sweet potato sometime this week.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Once I could eat salad again, it made lunch so much easier. A handful of bagged salad with a portion of some form of protein on top (meat/tuna and cheese). Today is homemade chicken salad over that bagged lettuce salad. Because it's chicken salad, no dressing necessary. If I am adding deli meat or plain shredded chicken or even ham cubes, I use Bolthouse Farms salad dressing. It's made with yogurt, so less calories/fat and more protein. I also tend to water it down a little since I don't like real thick dressing, which further reduces the fat/calories. I also like to bring lettuce leaves, some pre-cooked bacon and tomatoes. Heat the bacon in the microwave add a little mayo with the tomatoes to make a lettuce wrap. I tend to stay away from bread as it just takes up too much room. I will also use leftovers when we have them, but most days it's a salad or a lettuce wrap.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Baked ziti without the pasta. So good! Not sure what to call it when there's no ziti!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Baked ziti without the pasta. So good! Not sure what to call it when there's no ziti!

Ricotta bake ;) sooo yummy!

Meatballs, I love deli meats too with laughing cow spread on it and rolled, egg salad on wasa, grilled chicken with feta, a black olive or two, red onion all cut small and some balsamic vinegar you have a greek salad (lettuce doesn't sit well with me yet), taco meat (turkey) with cheese and beans in small containers a dollop of greek yogurt on top! my favorite! And I definitely second the Pinterest suggestion - lots and lots of ideas out there! Enjoy!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch to work pretty much every day. I cook in advance and freeze a lot of things. I will cook pork, chicken or beef and measure it out into 3-4 ounce portions into small containers and freeze them. Makes it SO easy to have pre-measured food handy, and also doing this prevents a lot of food waste. I will add about a quarter of a cup of veggies to it, and maybe an ounce of low fat cheese, sometimes I will add a little tomato sauce, and I have a nice high protein lunch. Today I have some lean pork roast that I made in the crock pot, and some babaganoush to go with it.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ten days post op. Finally felt up to cooking, so I made a potato/carrot/onion/spinach chowder (with Mootopia), and then used the immersion blender. I'm having a mug of it with a big dollop of greek yogurt stirred in. If I eat the whole thing (doubtful) 125 calories. So glad to not be eating processed food finally!
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I made a bunch of "baby burrito bowls" - 1 tbsp pinto beans, 1 tbsp roasted corn, 1 tbsp salsa, 2 tbsp greek yogurt, 2 ounces chicken breast and 2 tbsp cojack cheese. This fits easily in a small Mason jar and is easy to pop in the microwave. 171 calories, with (trying to remember) 21 gm protein, 5 carbs and 3 fats? Don't know that I can finish the whole thing, but it is tasty AND portable!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    the "baby burrito bowls" sound pretty good, I'll have to try that one
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Turkey jerky. It doesn't need to be refrigerated. :smile: Tunafish salad in an insulated lunch bag.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I made a bunch of "baby burrito bowls" - 1 tbsp pinto beans, 1 tbsp roasted corn, 1 tbsp salsa, 2 tbsp greek yogurt, 2 ounces chicken breast and 2 tbsp cojack cheese. This fits easily in a small Mason jar and is easy to pop in the microwave. 171 calories, with (trying to remember) 21 gm protein, 5 carbs and 3 fats? Don't know that I can finish the whole thing, but it is tasty AND portable!

I did something similar to his the other night, and cooked way too much food. I'll be eating the same thing for the next week :sunglasses:
    My variation was 96% lean beef, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, squash, and seasoning. Sides with ff refried beans, salsa, and a little greek yogurt. Delicious.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Today is chicken fajitas. Smoked chicken, peppers, onions, cheese, sour cream, salsa.
  • Ramla_J
    Ramla_J Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch, refried beans with a little cheese. Yum. I'm still on the pureed stage.
  • greenbaymichk
    Options
    Cheese chicken chowder today - shredded chicken, carrots, roasted corn, with chicken broth and fat free evaporated milk, topped with 1/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese - stored in pint mason jar for weekend dinners and lunches.
  • greenbaymichk
    Options
  • greenbaymichk
    Options
    Chicken chowder!!!!!