Race food

Options
EnduranceGirl2
EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
Since we've moved away from carrying stuff to nutrition, a new thread seemed like a good idea. For my hot century ride yesterday, I had a substantial muffin and granola for breakfast and almost all of my ride nutrition came from lots of Gatorade (bleck, too acidic) and bananas. Dried fruit is probably a bad idea - the trouble is poor fluid reabsorption, not nausea or cramping. For my half-iron in May, I skipped the raisins on my oatmeal and avoided raw veggies the previous day (my normal diet has lots of them). That was my first long-course race where digestion didn't hurt my performance. For a half-iron in August and IM ChooChoo in Sept, my plan is to omit raw veggies for two days preceding the races. Hopefully clearing out tough to digest foods before race day will solve the problem.

Replies

• ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I live on a custom blend of Infinite nutrition on long courses. Gives me everything I need (hydration and caloric) without me leaving anything to guesswork. Took me a year, and a couple of different formulations, before I got it dialed in just right. I should mention that I am on a ketogenic diet as well though which severely impacts my need for nutrition during a race.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    ShawnTX wrote: »
    I live on a custom blend of Infinite nutrition on long courses. Gives me everything I need (hydration and caloric) without me leaving anything to guesswork.

By long course, am I correct in assuming that you're talking HIM/IM distances, where the workout is 3& hours? I'm using Hammer Perpetuem now, but have looked at Infinit. A few folks in my online group have recommended it. May have to give it a try next time around.

For shorter duration efforts, I've been using Sports drinks(Skratch, Heed,etc.) supplemented by gels, etc.

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just got the Feed Zone Portables Cookbook for my birthday. I can't recommend it enough. Real portable food aimed at performance.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Infinit Go Far for long rides/races too. I definitely prefer liquid nutrition on the bike, don't have to deal with wrappers and such.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Does anyone make changes to their nutrition for longer races when temps are very warm? I really struggled during the run portion of a HIM on Sunday in 85 degree humid conditions. Had consumed plenty of liquids on the bike, including a bottle of Hammer perpetuem mix, a gatorade endurance bottle and a water bottle with Endurolyte Fizz tablets. I also consumed a sleeve of Clif Blocks for added salt,etc. So I though I was well hydrated and had no cramping, but the heat really took it out of me. Wondering if there were other fueling options to help. If not, I'll just have to get better trained for hot weather runs.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Does anyone make changes to their nutrition for longer races when temps are very warm? I really struggled during the run portion of a HIM on Sunday in 85 degree humid conditions. Had consumed plenty of liquids on the bike, including a bottle of Hammer perpetuem mix, a gatorade endurance bottle and a water bottle with Endurolyte Fizz tablets. I also consumed a sleeve of Clif Blocks for added salt,etc. So I though I was well hydrated and had no cramping, but the heat really took it out of me. Wondering if there were other fueling options to help. If not, I'll just have to get better trained for hot weather runs.

I up my salt intake in the heat. I'm also a SUPER salty sweater. I've found Base Performance to be the best salt out there. It's loose, not pills, and absorbs through your tongue so even on an upset stomach you can get your salt in.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I up my salt intake in the heat. I'm also a SUPER salty sweater. I've found Base Performance to be the best salt out there. It's loose, not pills, and absorbs through your tongue so even on an upset stomach you can get your salt in.[/quote]

I'm quite a sweat producer myself and was feeling like more salt may have helped me. Will check out Base Performance.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    [/quote]I up my salt intake in the heat. I'm also a SUPER salty sweater. I've found Base Performance to be the best salt out there. It's loose, not pills, and absorbs through your tongue so even on an upset stomach you can get your salt in.[/quote]

I'm quite a sweat producer myself and was feeling like more salt may have helped me. Will check out Base Performance.