Healthy BMI

Options
2»

Replies

• PumpkinRunning
    PumpkinRunning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, the high-end of the healthy range is 141, which I think I may have weighed when I was in middle school (maybe!). So at this point I don't think that's realistic; that, and it would mean that I have to lose over 100lbs from this point and that is really intimidating. Right now, my first "big" goal is to just get out of the 200s, then re-evaluate. Maybe as I get closer that 141 won't seem so unattainable.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and I am shooting for 145. That is the lowest I have been in many years and I think a healthy weight for me. But it is at the low end of overweight. I am 43 years old and I am not going to hold my breath for 125. I was 25 the last time I saw that weight. But maybe once I hit 145 I will change my mind. That will be many many months from now. lol.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and it says 150 is the beginning of normal weight for me and that's the weight I'm trying to get to, it or 160. I was pretty happy at 175 honestly so it all depends on how I feel when I get there.

118 is the lowest, and um...... No. Not going to happen. Ever.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I'm focused on health markers. I'm not sure I can give a F what some random arbitrary number says. I would like to keep my curves, cut down on some fat rolls, but I want to look like a woman, not a stick figure. If muscle and other factors means that I stay heavier on the scale, I'm good with that. Just remember, too that Olympic body builders and such are technically overweight or obese if you go by strict BMI scales...so, for me, it's a single tiny factor of consideration in the grand scale of things. I want to be and feel healthy and be able to do things. The random number crap is just data.

Edited to add point of reference. If anyone can see my pictures, the one when I'm standing next to my mom under an arch (picture from my wedding back in 1995 actually), I was 140-145 at age 19. I can't imagine getting below that and looking healthy, and 145 is the absolute highest part of BMI for my height 5'4" tall, so that is a lot of why I don't consider it realistic. I've had a child sense then, and so my body proportions are all difference, and even then, I think my body looked fine, but that was 20 years ago, and I know I'll never have that body again.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did use BMI as a reference for setting my goal weight. I included a 10 pound buffer for water weight as I don't intend on being in ketosis once I go into maintenance. I have weighed 120 pounds as an adult and it didn't look overly thin. I am a size 2 when I'm 120-130 pounds. When I was in high school I was that size at 108 pounds. My boobs are much, much bigger as an adult and my arms are larger. At 98 pounds (the low end of recommended BMI) I would be wearing a child's size 12. Now, I'm not saying this to criticize people who are that small. To each their own. But I think it is very important for people to grasp how small that is. At 13 and the same height as me, my daughter fits into the dresses I was wearing at a size 2 (in every place but the boobs). She is in the middle range of a healthy BMI for her age. I'm perceiving that as an expectation that we not grow any larger than we are at 13 as long as we don't get taller. In my case, at my height, it would be perfectly normal for me to not have gotten any larger than a child wearing a size 12. In other words, a 12 year old girl.

I can sit here and tell you to pay more attention to your health markers and whatnot. It is what you should be doing. Am I doing it? Nope. Instead I'm focusing on what society has told me I should look like. Did you know that prior to 1998, the healthy range for a 5'4" woman ended at 155 lbs not 145 lbs? Did you know that some people are trying to get the BMI calculator changed again to make the healthy range for shorter people lower and the healthy range for taller people higher? It's sort of funny to me that it is completely acceptable for people to tell others what is healthy or not healthy based on BMI while we ignore other, actual measures of health.

According to my health markers I am completely healthy now and I was completely healthy 40 pounds ago. According to my BMI I am disgusting and have been for awhile.

So here are my truths:
    My name is Megan.
    I will be 32 on Monday
    I'm 151 pounds
    My BMI is 27.6 which means I am almost obese at 5'2"
    My lab results look like this:
    HDL Cholesterol: 54 mg/dL
    LDL Calculated: 80 mg/dL
    Glucose Fasting: 80 mg/dL
    Trig: 84 mg/dL
    TSH: 3.15 mIU/L
    Cholesterol: 151 mg/dL
    BP: 108/64

What more could you need to know? Oh yes, I want all women to know they're beautiful in one way or another, even if I struggle seeing this in myself. I want people to feel heard when they speak. I want people that fat shame to quit hiding behind the term "healthy." Mainly, just being honest here, I want men to quit weighing in on how women should look or what their BMI should be. Particularly since it is usually followed up with a caveat that is only beneficial to their gender. I've said it before but it's worth hearing over and over. "It is not a woman’s job to get smaller and smaller and take up less and less space until she disappears so the world can be more comfortable."
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Also - I love everything about this.
    minties82 wrote: »
    dg18q1.jpg
    My mirror tells me I'm kinda pretty, but my camera says I look like a dude. That camera is a damn liar I tell ya.

• mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »

What more could you need to know? Oh yes, I want all women to know they're beautiful in one way or another, even if I struggle seeing this in myself. I want people to feel heard when they speak. I want people that fat shame to quit hiding behind the term "healthy." Mainly, just being honest here, I want men to quit weighing in on how women should look or what their BMI should be. Particularly since it is usually followed up with a caveat that is only beneficial to their gender. I've said it before but it's worth hearing over and over. "It is not a woman’s job to get smaller and smaller and take up less and less space until she disappears so the world can be more comfortable."

Oh I love this!! all of this paragraph!!! Yes Yes Yes!!!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to just keep going and see where I land. At 5'10", a BMI-based goal would be around 154lbs. When I was in highschool and a competitive swimmer (3k-5k yards a day training, plus daily land-based drills and weightlifting) I weighed 180. As an adult, I maintained at 236 for years without effort, still active swimming, hiking, backpacking and lifting.

After autoimmune disease hit (but undiagnosed/ misdiagnosed for over a decade), my activity dropped and weight skyrocketed to 280+. Optifast program helped me lose to 220, and maintained there for two years until the autoimmunity struck again. Finally was diagnosed with MG and started treatment at 330 lbs. Currently at 285 or so.

So, long story short, I'm guessing I'll stall out around 200-220, since I've never been able to drop below that as an adult. And at this point, regular physical activity might be minimally possible to completely impossible in the future, no guarantees with MG. If I go into remission, and can resume active hobbies again, maybe I'll break under 200?

So for now my goal is to stick with the program. The MG has forced me to live day-to-day, because I may be doing fantastically well one week and unable to get out of bed the next. My new mantra is "Be stubborn about your goals, but flexible about your means." I can control my actions, but not the timeline of the outcomes!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have just found that I need to lose another 14kg to get to the top end of 'normal'. Thats 31lbs to make me 163lbs. Thats not going to happen. I have gone down nearly 3 dress sizes...if I get into a UK 16 I will be very happy and leave it at that.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just need to grow a little more. I'm not to fat, I'm obviously to short
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »

And the best things, like all of us, come in small packages, right?
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion. I stopped losing weight a couple months ago. I hadn't made any changes. I just reached a point where my body mass matched my calorie intake. Since then I've fluctuated between 149 and 151 so I've decided my goal is 150. A couple days ago my wife commented that I've gone too far. I just ran the CDC BMI calculator and it came out normal although slightly above the mid-range of normal. I'm right at what I remember weighing 50 years ago but the distribution is different. If I can get a few pounds more in the upper body and less in the middle perhaps there will be fewer complaints,
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion. I stopped losing weight a couple months ago. I hadn't made any changes. I just reached a point where my body mass matched my calorie intake. Since then I've fluctuated between 149 and 151 so I've decided my goal is 150. A couple days ago my wife commented that I've gone too far. I just ran the CDC BMI calculator and it came out normal although slightly above the mid-range of normal. I'm right at what I remember weighing 50 years ago but the distribution is different. If I can get a few pounds more in the upper body and less in the middle perhaps there will be fewer complaints,

I'm so happy to read this. That's what I envision myself doing--going until my body says I've gone far enough. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I knew one recently got within 5 pounds of goal weight and after 6 months she gave up trying and stopped weighing. After another 6 months she weighed again and she had lost that last 5 pounds.

Giving the body time to reach equilibrium or what ever one wants to call it seems important after losing weight. Steep downward loss rates are associated with 100%+ regains per some info I have found.

Now that I am eating for better health instead of weight loss things are going better than any effort in the past 40 years.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »

I'm just on the cusp of a normal BMI now. I'm 165-166lbs and 164 something is normal for my height. I weighed this weight in my 20's, and it was distributed VERY differently. I was quite fit at the time, working out often and running up to 28km on a good Sunday. My 165lbs does not look NEARLY as good as it did 20 odd years ago. LOL

I'm shooting for about 140lbs, which is in the middle of my normal BMI. I may over shoot it and go to 130 something because the last time I was 140 was late high school, and I was quite the jock back then so 140 won't look the same either. LOL

I am adding weights back into my life but it will take quite a while for it to make a difference because my fitness level is quite low right now.

I think the main thing is not to set a hard goal. Reasses when we get to a goal and keep going or not depending on what our body wants to do, how we feel (health) and if we are happy with that size.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    BMI, Weight, CICO, Macros all interesting but... I'm doing LC to get my diabetes under good control, the rest is just bonus.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    1234usmc wrote: »

And the best things, like all of us, come in small packages, right?