My goggles are fogging!

Options
LauraRae2
LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
My favorite pair of goggles just started fogging up really badly in the last week or so. I've never had this problem before. Is there a fix or is it time for a new pair?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Did you try spitting in them and rubbing the spit around? That's what we use for scuba goggles.

ETA: One of my dive friends uses shampoo the same way and swears by it. Anything to create a very very thin film, I guess.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,265 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've tried everything. One piece of advice I got from someone at the pool is to NEVER touch the inside with your finger. This is the same woman who said to me, "All you need to see is the blue line!" (well, that and the clock). After that, I started swimming in foggy goggles. Once I get going, I realize that I don't need to see much. I have pretty bad near-sightedness, so I swim in contacts. I have the "foggy goggles" when I forget to bring my contacts. I almost didn't swim, but I tried it (based on the previously mentioned swimmer's "blue line" reasoning), and it worked. It didn't really affect the quality of my swim. If I pay attention to it when I stop for water or something, it bugs me though.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    so a nice 'smooth' surface helps to prevent the little droplets from forming that cause the fogging effect. So, the advice to not touch the inside of your goggles is to prevent microscratches from creating a rough surface that helps fog condense. This is also why once goggles have 'gone foggy' then spitting in them or using shampoo (especially baby shampoo) is helpful. It fills in the microscratches and temporarily makes the surface smooth again. Baby shampoo is preferable because it is formulated to not irritate the eyes. When it inevitably get damp and runs a little it is less likely to burn your eyes. There are also anti-fogging sprays that do the same thing.

Another contributing factor to fogging is the temperature differential between the cool pool and the air warmed by your skin in your goggles. Which is why most recommend rinsing your goggles in the pool you are swimming in. It at least starts the goggles at the same temperature as the pool.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Apparently vinegar does the trick.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You probably lost the anti-fog coating on the inside. It happens. Personally, I'm a spitter. But my dad used to swear by toothpaste.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Another contributing factor to fogging is the temperature differential between the cool pool and the air warmed by your skin in your goggles. Which is why most recommend rinsing your goggles in the pool you are swimming in. It at least starts the goggles at the same temperature as the pool.

This is really interesting! We always rinse our scuba goggles off in the quarry/ocean right before putting them on. I never knew why--now I do! Thanks!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I lick the inside of my goggles... Probably 5+ times during 30 minutes in the pool.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I wipe mine with my suit in the pool water before starting. Works great and no spit :)
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine were fogging up even with consistent spit. Finally, I figured it had to be caused by contaminents. Yep, once I washed lightly with dish soap they cleared up. Now I wash them every few days to prevent it.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This works 100%

A few drops of baby shampoo in the goggle. With finger wipe thoroughly around the lens. Rinse out well. No fog for your session.

Doesn't hurt the eyes
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Swim harder so that you're sweating through your eyes, and after a few flip turns, everything should sort itself out.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been licking them. Gross, but it seems to be working!