Lean Protein

Options
crananne
crananne Posts: 4 Member
Any protein ideas? I seem to be having great difficulty meeting my protein goals.

Replies

• earlylinn
    earlylinn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @crananne Quinoa is amazing! It's a complete protein with a ton of other vitamins and minerals. You an mix it with oatmeal or make a nice cool salad with it. It cooks like rice also. Trying making some, let it cool and add some diced veggies and low fat balsamic vinaigrette. I like to add red onion, shredded carrot, jicama, cucumber and dried cranberries. It delish!
    Good luck!
  • ondihoo
    ondihoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous! Is it a carb?
  • Neofolis
    Neofolis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's a grain, so it is mostly carbs, 64g/100g, compared with 14g protein and 6g fat. Of that 64g, 7g are fiber.

Other alternative lean protein sources include tuna, chicken, turkey, egg whites, most beans and bean derivatives like tofu or you can add protein powder to recipes. Whey protein is one of the fastest digested proteins and is a complete protein, so it has a full spectrum of amino acids.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just tried black bean pasta. 25g of protien in a 180 calorie serving of pasta. Not too bad. I added pesto and Parmesan. Found it at whole foods. I wouldn't eat it everyday but it was fun to try.
  • hunter87544
    hunter87544 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    black beans are an excellent choice.

A lot of people are hesitant about the idea, but pasteurized liquid egg whites mixed with sugar free syrup is a quick way to get a good source of lean protein. It reminds me of chocolate milk. Egg Whites International, and Muscle Egg make these products. If it sounds too disgusting to try, then don't. More for me lulz.

Mixing cottage cheese with peaches, or other fruit, is a way to get protein, althouth not as lean.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Lentils - they're a staple in my diet and have a great ratio of protein to carbs and fiber. I always have it with lunch/dinner. I like to stuff half a pepper with 50g of uncooked lentils.