Talk Nerdy to Me!

Options
xkitxkatxkaix
xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
What is your MOST FAVORITE nerdy topic?

Mine is seriously pirates and creepy/demented history! I could rattle off so many creepy facts. Did you know it was thanks to a pirate that we have so many words in Websters??? But then again he also would force his captives to run around in a circle naked as his crew mates would try to shove stu- uh... nevermind. That part isn't too pretty.

...awkward.

Replies

• LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mine is Marvel Comics!
    My two BFFs (one male one female) and I can rant about that for hours
    Also my male BFF works at a printer and prints me super expansive comics books for free (like all of the 3300 pages of civil war^^)
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Mine is seriously pirates and creepy/demented history! I could rattle off so many creepy facts. Did you know it was thanks to a pirate that we have so many words in Websters??? But then again he also would force his captives to run around in a circle naked as his crew mates would try to shove stu- uh... nevermind. That part isn't too pretty.

...awkward.

Hahaha awkward, mostly for his victims by the sounds of it.

Mines a bit of a sciencey (<new word) topic, it is the differences between male and females especially in the brain. For example did you know that on average you ladies have a 20-30% larger corpus callosum (The bit that connects both brain hemispheres) than us men? The differences in male and female brains is so large it is practically different species. We think in incredibly different way and in my opinion women have more advanced and better evolved brains, certainly for modern life. I could ramble on for hours about this, not that I've ever found anyone who wants to listen lol

Why is that pirate responsible for so many words in the dictionary?
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options

...awkward.

Hahaha awkward, mostly for his victims by the sounds of it.

Mines a bit of a sciencey (<new word) topic, it is the differences between male and females especially in the brain. For example did you know that on average you ladies have a 20-30% larger corpus callosum (The bit that connects both brain hemispheres) than us men? The differences in male and female brains is so large it is practically different species. We think in incredibly different way and in my opinion women have more advanced and better evolved brains, certainly for modern life. I could ramble on for hours about this, not that I've ever found anyone who wants to listen lol

Why is that pirate responsible for so many words in the dictionary?

His name was William Dampier, simply put he had an insatiable curiosity. He originally started as a privateer but the way the story goes it seems like he found waaayy more of an interest in simply discovering/learning new things. It kinda sucked for him at one point because he ended up being banned from leading a voyage again (seriously they put him on an already broken boat then said 'hey you broke our boat' when it fell apart in the ocean), but then hired him again to "bother the Spaniards" so from that he ended up circumnavigating the world again. Supposedly at some point he kept the company of tattooed native guy on one of his trips. *shrug* But from the sounds of his life how could you not become insanely educated.
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    That sounds like a fascinating life, so he was responsible for... uh... sending updates? to Websters of new things he had discovered on his journey that weren't otherwise known? There's no education like life experience.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    Wooppsss!!! Just noted an error of mine...

It was Oxford, not Websters. x3

Not really. I think the original plan (though I could be way wrong here) was to simply explore since around that time they still didn't know what was fully out there. It was noted very prominently that he pretty much only traveled with his journals that he would write in. But these are simple words like kangaroo, koala, avocado, barbecue, etc., that he came up with. Still pretty sweet stuff.
    I think the only real reason why he was dubbed a pirate was mostly because he had a really crummy crew that didn't want to listen. So... he made them listen.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    LadyAhiru wrote: »
    Mine is Marvel Comics!
    Also my male BFF works at a printer and prints me super expansive comics books for free (like all of the 3300 pages of civil war^^)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How in the hell did I miss this?!?!?! YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!! D;
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    Thanks, that was really interesting and great to learn. Imagining him just inventing those words that to you are I just exist, good choices, great sounding words.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    It's good stuff. Then again I would MUCH rather be Ching Shih. THE most successful woman pirate eh-vaaaahh!! She kicked some serious *kitten*! Debatably the best pirate period in my book.
  • BeastModeChuck
    BeastModeChuck Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine is Marvel Comics!

Well that may be the sexiest thing I've heard all week.

I do love me some comic book talk, but my number one nerdy topic is a tie between sci-fi/fantasy movies and table-top role playing games. You wanna chat a few hours about our recent D&D campaigns? Let's do it! Oh yeah - these are the conversations that made me have to sit at the far corner table at lunch back in high school...
  • viridianflare
    viridianflare Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Games (video or board). I actually have caught myself toning down my nerding about those around others, because it can get intense.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've gotten into table top games in the last couple of years and get really excited when I find a game I really like. Like the poster above, I find myself toning it down or keeping it internal because not everyone will understand my enthusiasm.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    But intense stuff is so fun because of its intenseness!

... Wait did that make sense?
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    It made an intense amount of sense.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    It made an intense amount of sense.

Dude that was so intense.
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    When intensity becomes so intense that it is intensely intense.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    Seriously though, how have you never been in my life before this. LOL You could say... that's intense. :wink:
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    I just wasn't in your life before this. I don't think that would be intense, rather past-tense :D
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    Ba-dum-tis!
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    Four elephants fell off a cliff, one had a pair of symbols on his back.... Ba-da-dum-tisss!
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Mine is Marvel Comics!
    I wanna kidnapped your bff lol