How do you break out of a plateau?

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
I was stuck at the same weight for 7 weeks. I tried fasting for 12hrs a day every other day, carb loading, making sure I measured everything I ate, but the scale wouldn't budge. I tried the 3 day military diet and finally broke my plateau.

Just wondering what other low carbers do to break out of a very frustrating plateau?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating but when I know what I am doing is right, I just stick with it. The remodeling our bodies are undertaking causes these plateaus sometimes. I choose to stay the course.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    It can be so frustrating!! I kept feeling I needed to change something to get the scales moving again, even though I was following my diet to a T.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

Just wondering what other low carbers do to break out of a very frustrating plateau?

If I need to get off a plateau, I'd like to use a Hang Glider. >:)
    I think that would really be cool. >:)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. o:)

Never been there, never done that. Don't look forward to one.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hey @KenSmith108, I think a hang glider might be easier sometimes, lol! Just sayin! Plateaus can be a biotch!
  • brikachuu
    brikachuu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually change my work outs instead of my diet.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    @breenymarie ....thanks, that's what I've been doing recently, increasing weights/reps, hopefully it will help.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Switch things up. Try different tools or tweak old methods.Try different foodtypes than usual. Check your micronutrients. Improve sleep, stress less. And ofc calories count.

Sorry for being Captain Obvious:

If you want something to change. You gotta change some things.

Good luck :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat. For me I usually find myself drifting when my stress is high and my food intake is too low (and my energy plummets). I've tried eating more fats (my caloric intake is still well under normal) and it helps. It also helps with crazy evening hunger when I'm tempted to go off diet, again the stress not helping that.

So, basically, I make more of an effort to eat more low carb, high fat foods earlier in the day. This seems to help my energy levels and I'm more active and more motivated, too.

I actually track motivation and energy levels where you can customize your measurements like waist and such, I deleted those.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for 7 weeks. I tried fasting for 12hrs a day every other day, carb loading, making sure I measured everything I ate, but the scale wouldn't budge. I tried the 3 day military diet and finally broke my plateau.

It can be a good time to do maintenance for a few months and just call it maintenance. :)

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body composition is changing or adjusting and not showing a result on the scale. Are you keeping track of measurements?

In the end, health is the ultimate goal. Your body isn't a machine, it's a complex organism and there are so many factors involved. Stick with it. B)

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I double down on intense cardio

Like HIIT or some long bike rides that will burn 1500 calories a pop
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually change my work outs instead of my diet.

^^this! I will go through what I've been eating to make sure no unwanted carbs have snuck in. Adding more water helps me too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    It could be that your body composition is changing or adjusting and not showing a result on the scale. Are you keeping track of measurements?

In the end, health is the ultimate goal. Your body isn't a machine, it's a complex organism and there are so many factors involved. Stick with it. B)
    Yep, I agree with this one, measurements tell a better story and your blood levels of healthy lipids, sugars, etc.

• nater412
    nater412 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I did an egg fast from ketowomen.Com and ibreathimhungry.com and that worked. But they are usually not advised, but, for science, I thought I would try. It worked. 6 lbs Down that had been holding on. I had more calories, fats and carbs while doing this too. I did gain .8 lbs while coming off egg fast. Be warned not for everyone...
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I utilized Intermittent Fasting and also reduced my calories quite a lot to break through my plateau. It worked!

I also adopted informal calorie-cycling/zig-zag dieting to try to wake up my metabolism and ensure my body doesnt get used to a set number of calories each day. Some days i have more cals, some less, but my weekly average works out where i want it to be.

I've also built in a carb-up/refuel day 1-2x a fortnight to raise leptin hormone levels, refill muscle glycogen, reset metabolism etc, amongst other physical and psychological benefits. On those days the idea is to increase calories to maintenance or slightly above, keep protein the same (30% macro), and basically swap fats for carbs - so carbs will be high and fat will be low (below 50g max). Carb sources should be starchy, aiming for high glucose, lowish sucrose and low to no fructose (fructose doesnt increase leptin or refill glycogen so has no benefit, whilst sucrose ie. table sugar is 50% glucose but 50% fructose).
    I feel much better in myself since including my refuel day, particularly as i'm fairly strict the rest of the time, and i do believe it has helped to speed up my metabolism and aided my plateau breakthrough.

Without a doubt, though, the most effective step for me breaking through my plateau was reducing my calories significantly (along with the IFing). Very low calories is not for everyone, but it works for me as a short-term weight-loss boost. Ive hovered around an average of ~900 cals a day during my vacation in Ireland, which sounds low but is actually only a 30% (or ~500 cal) deficit for me, as my TDEE is only 1411. I was careful that those ~900 cals comprised of nutrient-rich, high protein, medium/high fat, low-carb foods, so along with my all my supplementation all of my nutritional needs were met and i felt fine. Its not for everyone, but i find it very effective for me. I pushed through my plateau and returned from holiday 5 pounds lighter (with no formal exercise), and most importantly ALL of the weightloss was from fat - i didnt lose any muscle mass whatsoever. You can now see muscle definition in my legs, abs & arms, which im over the moon about.

So calorie restriction, IFing, calorie-cycling & the odd refuel day are my tools for breaking through the dreaded weight-loss plateau (Keto still min 5 days a week). Im just relieved i found something that shifts the fat when the usual plan isnt cutting it. And one other benefit from it all is that my appetite has finally reduced (at last!) so its not difficult being a little tighter with my calories when necessary.

I am now officially not classed as overweight. Im 'healthy'. This is the 1st time ive been able to say that since early childhood. It feels good. I feel good! Yay to taking control of my body and what i put into it, at last. Im 2 pounds from initial goal weight. So exciting! xx