Honey

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
edited August 2015 in Social Groups
a friend is pressuring me to get off Splenda and use a little honey in my am coffee. It's like five carbs for the amount it think I'd use. Anyone have any experiences with honey and how it made you feel?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I had to give it up. Any source of carbs that total to 50 grams knocks me out of ketosis. We have keep bees before but I do not think it is like a health food unless you produce it for the market. :)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but honey in drinks always gave me a headache. :|
    Apparently honey has some good health benefits.
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/liquid-gold-7-health-benefits-honey-could-heal-your-whole-body-325932
    However, I have heard that store bought honey could be adulterated with corn syrup, so if I were to use honey, I would by it from a local apiary.
    I think that the small amount of carbs would be negligible if consumed only sparingly (i.e., once a day), but it could be problematic if it became more often than that. Just my opinion though.
    Still a good idea to not use Splenda. I use stevia myself and then only in BPC and one or two of my teas (the rest are unsweetened).
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I told her I needed to save my carbs for veggies and I'm a diabetic off meds so I'm pretty sure it would spike my sugar.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have small amounts of honey now and then. It doesn't seem to do anything to me, but most of the time it's not worth the carbs to me.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Honey is one of my favorite things. I still have several full jars from a local farm. I haven't used it in a while, even though I can fit it in my carb goal, because if I start it can quickly go to me licking it right off a spoon.

Now all I can think about is honey and all the yummy stuff to put it on.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I tolerate honey better than Splenda!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Honey is sugar.

If you want to ditch splenda maybe try monk fruit or stevia. I personally don't like stevia but monk fruit (Norbu brand in Australia) tastes fine.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I agree with Sajyana - Honey is basically pure sugar. And i may be wrong, but i think it contains lots of fructose, which is the worst type of sugar for our bodies.

I definitely wouldnt swap Splenda for honey, personally, especially not on a regular basis. It's sure to have a negative effect on blood sugar & insulin, much more so than Splenda, i would have thought.

Are you using powdered Splenda? If so, you could try the pure liquid sucralose drops instead, which doesnt have any maltodextrin filler like granulated splenda. I used to use the liquid sucralose in embarrassingly large amounts and i will admit i think it did still have a slight effect on my insulin & cravings, so i gave up all sweeteners except those already in the 'zero' sodas i drank through the day, and i felt much, much better within a few days - my blood sugar felt more stable and the cravings all but disappeared. I also started to see the scale move down again when i ditched the splenda. Now i can have a little pure sucralose every now and then with no side effects whatsoever, but ive found that i dont fancy sweet in my hot drinks so much anymore, it tastes sort of unnecessary now, like a dessert in a cup, so i usually drink unsweetened tea & coffee nowadays (and thats huge, because i never dreamed id be able to enjoy drinks without some sweetness added). Its amazing how you can train your tastes to change with a little determination and gradual accustomization). If there's any way you could wean yourself off the sweetened drinks, just slowly decreasing how much you add until it becomes tolerable, im sure youd feel the benefits. :)

Ooh, i just thought. If you really cant see yourself not sweetening your hot drinks, have you tried Erythritol? (sp?).

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Erythritol affects me as badly as splenda. Only one thing I've found so far doesn't spike me, and I've yet to try the liquid because my store's supply is almost completely expired...SweetLeaf brand stevia. It clumps up in cold stuff if not stirred in and mixed in very slowly (it's a type of fiber it uses for the "powder" effect)...does okay in hot... I'm looking forward to trying the liquid, but a little nervous, because like all liquids, it has "natural flavors" which tend to trigger massive headaches for me, but can me hit-hit-hit-miss, sometimes...

Play around with different types!
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Honey is sugar/fructose - which I would avoid. I've had good luck with the liquid sucralose, which I buy from Amazon. Tastes good, doesn't spike my blood sugar. I use it regularly to to sweeten my chia pudding. Recently tried Truvia, but it doesn't agree with my stomach. I had better luck with pure erythritol (also from amazon). I think Stevia tastes bad.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like honey and pb and honey and almond butter. But honey in coffee sounds revolting. Give me my splenda please!

I really haven't had honey since going LCHF though. Too many carbs and not worth it
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Raw honey was one of my favorite things before. Now I'm afraid to try it again until I get to goal. For now, I bought a pure powdered stevia off Amazon (Now brand Better Stevia) for my coffee and desserts. For the tiny amount I use to sweeten, I don't notice any difference from the taste of splenda.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love honey, but it's sugar and it's a no-no for me for the most part. I'll occasionally have a smear on a piece of fruit, but it's a tiny smear. It's just not worth the carbs!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Honey isn't a taste I crave in anything except as a sweetener for particularly strong-tasting herbal teas. I could go the rest of my life without it and not miss it.

Maple syrup on the other hand, now that's a taste I love. I'll occasionally put a very small amount in a marinade for meat to go on the grill.

I do eat 71% cocoa dark chocolate as a treat, in small amounts, and that has some sugar in it. It doesn't seem to give me trouble.

I have the occasional Coke Zero, too. I think that's aspartame.

I might do the Sugar/Sweetener Free September challenge and see if it makes a difference. I'll have to come up with a different kind of treat!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I like sweetener added to chia dark chocolate pudding

Honey may work but Splenda is no calorie so I use it

Gotta watch my figure you know